Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DUCKFAT !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DUCKFAT !!!
    Posted: 17/March/2010 at 6:44pm
Anybody been there yet ?
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2010 at 10:35am
We tried Duckfat Tavern on Friday night. The joint was hopping; but we only had to wait about 5 minutes for a great high top table on the bar side (my preferred part of the establishment....the other room is quieter and low tables).

The tap beer was cold (Miller Lite pint $3; seems to be the going price these days on Madison Street).

The food was delish. I had a blackened tilapia sandwich on pretzel roll with sweet potato fries. The sandwich was excellent!! Nice sized filet on the bun. Did not run out of fish before running out of bread. The sweet potato fries were nice and crisp and appeared to be sprinkled with some coarse kosher salt. Yummy.

Other half had a cheese burger (not the house specialty DuckFat Burger as he's not a big fan of brie or bacon on his burger). He choose the duckfat fried fries ($.95 extra). He also had his on a pretzel roll. He said the burger was very very good; not sure what all the hype is about cooking the fries in duck fat, they didn't taste all that different to me (they were skin on, my favs....but still not as good as Parkys). He also had a house salad which was your basic salad.

My other friend had the kobe beef sliders ($3.00 a piece). To me, they looked rather boring and lonely on the plate . . . 2 small burgers with minimal stuff on them.

Service was great. Our waitress was very attentive to us even though the place was packed.....NCAA games were on, of course!

We will be going back. Next time we'll split a sandwich and try their 4 cheese mac & cheese served in a cast iron skillet (and split that as well).

Duck Fat Tavern

Edited by piehead - 30/March/2010 at 2:56pm
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2010 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Other half had a cheese burger (not the house specialty DuckFat Burger as he's not a big fan of brie or bacon on his burger).

I can see not being a fan of brie, but BACON?!?!  baaaaaa!!!!

Thanks for the great review and website.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2010 at 5:08pm
Heard from somebody else today that the food was really good and the sangria not to be missed. We will be going very soon !!!
FOCUS !!
JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2010 at 8:40pm
Friends and I ate there the first Sunday they were open.  The service was  terrible and they botched up one friend's burger (ordered medium rare, served well done).  I thought the food was pretty good.  I, too, didn't see all the hype on fries in Duck Fat -- not much of a difference but still good.  All in all -- I will definately go back; it's really unfair to judge a place that's only been open a few days.  Liked the menu and liked what they've done to the place -- hope they make a good go of it.  I recommend that everyone give it a try.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2010 at 11:20am
It's like not buying a car the first yr its out sort of..want to get the kinks worked out. Im hearing good things tho, cannot wait to take the family.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2010 at 11:33am

thanks for the reviews, guys!

harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/April/2010 at 6:06pm
I have been there twice. The first night they were open we went for dinner. Had the calamari - pretty standard, but good, and the fish tacos for apps.  Loved the fish tacos, they went great with my very yummy margarita.
For entrees we relied on our (very good) server for her suggestions. We ended up with the Pomegranate BBQ Meatloaf, which was very, very good. The meatloaf was to me, the perfect consistancy (I hate when meatloaf is really dense). It was tender and the glaze is delicious. It came with very good (real) mashed , not the instant whipped kind, and a veggie (don't remember which, asparagus, maybe). Our second entree was the Potato Crusted Tilapia, another fine choice by our server. The fish was moist and flaky and it was completely wrapped in thin slices of potato which were just crispy. This was served with spinach and a champagne cream sauce, which was very light and complimented the fish perfectly. Entree three was (not our server's suggestion as the person ordering it knew what they wanted) Shrimp De Joghne Linguini.  We liked this, too. Plenty of good sized shrimp and the pasta was cooked al dente. I don't remember what we had for dessert, I'll check with my daughter and let you know.

Trip #2 was last week for lunch. Other half had the Duckfat Burger and loved it! The sweet potato fries are excellent. We had those on our first trip also as an appetizer. I had a house salad. Not too much to say there, a good fresh, salad. I didn't love the house vinaigrette and they happily brought me a very good bleu cheese instead. I also had the Short Ribs Stroganoff and would happily eat this again and again! Two big short ribs that were falling off the bone tender and home made (I think) and very good large egg noodles covered in a delicious stroganoff sauce. Wish I had a plate of them right now! Maybe I can twist other half to take us tonight. Lauren has been dying to go back!

I also want to say the service has been excellant. The server at lunch was maybe not quite as knowledgable and polished as the first night, but I was still happy with her. Even the bus boys are dressed well and very pleasant. OK, Now I'm starving - it either Duckfat tonight or Ed's Way and me cooking!!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/April/2010 at 10:51pm
thanks, harp! you reviewers are kickin'. much appreciated.

how about the new sushi/thai - just west of circle?
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 1:58am
Sorry Citizen -

Sushi and Thai are just not my thing.  I will say on the drive by I really do like the way it looks and probably will try it at some point.

I am perfectly happy to watch my cholesterol rise 20 points everytime my Mom says the words "comfort food" (which she does at least once with every three sentences). That woman taught me how to make a Pot Roast that will make you cry with joy. I have also sat at the knee of Harp's Ma, where I learned the secrets of gravy (spaghetti sauce for you non Italian types). I love the Steer, even though, like you, I HATE the wine list. Give me red meat, red wine and pasta - someone else can review the "healthy food". Oh, and a healthy dose of chocolate!

Here's a fun question - What would you pick as your "Check Please" restaurant? And what about starting a family recipie thread?!?
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 2:09am
P.S. - As if anyone cares - it was Ed's Way tonight!! Only BLT's as I have ribs , ham, pasta, etc. to cook for the Easter Weekend. I wish nothing but blessings for us all and a special Easter blessing to DC's grandbaby on her 1st b-day.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 9:31am
Thanks much Harp !!! And Happy Easter to you and your famly.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 10:21am
is it possible that we're experiencing the season of spring in chicago???
first st. paddy's parade, now easter...i think i remember 'spring' as a kid.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 10:57am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

This weather will hold through April 11th.

On April 12th it will be brutally cold, wet and dismal again. At least in the Wrigleyville area.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 11:00am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

This weather will hold through April 11th.

On April 12th it will be brutally cold, wet and dismal again. At least in the Wrigleyville area.
heh. can i assume that is opening day for our cubs?
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 1:34pm
Yes.
Strangely, he's predicting a large turnout of sox fans in attendance.  Vomit
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2010 at 7:55pm
Me and other half want to try the new Thai place. Neither of us are up on that type of food but willing to give it a whirl....although it appears more fancy smancy than we are used to or expect (Steer fancy is as fancy as I care for).

I like Harp's idea of a check please thread. Feel free to start it with your suggestions. We're all ears and will add to it...have to think about it for a while.

Happy Easter to y'all too.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2010 at 12:43am

Tried Duckfat tonight..yummm 2Thumbs%20Up we will be going back great crowd, good food.

FOCUS !!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2010 at 6:03pm
I checked out Duckfat last weekend - very good!  Good to know there's a half way decent burger around here that's not called Goldy's.  Pretzel bun was slightly whelming in terms of its saltiness (like a good pretzel), but tasty.    Couldn't tell much difference between the duckfat fries and the regular.  
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2010 at 12:41am
It is with a very heavy heart that I have to rescind my earlier reviews of Duckfat. :( We went tonight, and I doubt I will ever go again. They have changed chefs and the food has suffered tremendously. As has the service, we had a "food runner" try to give us the wrong meals 3 times! Once for a party of one at the next table, and twice with the same order for another table that they kept insisting was ours (as if anyone in my family would order a TURKEY burger :P). My favorite Short Rib Stroganoff, is now a wierd orange mess with yucky noodles, my second fav, meatloaf w/ Pomegranate sauce was so spicy I had to scrape all the sauce off. When I sent back the Stroganoff, the chef came out to apologize. Seems they lost (fired?) the original chef, and his recipes went with him. So the stroganoff is now orange - sort of a carne astroganoff! - and really tough short ribs. All that for the low, low price of $16.95Cry. So, at the risk of having my next choice peed on by the kitchen staff, I sent the carne astroganoff back and opted for what was once my 2nd favorite meatloaf ever (besides my own and only because I have the secret recipe from Richard's Tavern- have to have lived here for a long time to remember that. but, trust me, BEST MEATLOAF EVER!!!). It might have been even worse than the carne astroganoff! One bite and I was half dead from dehydration. It was SOOOOOOOO spicy, I still can't feel my tongue! Anyway, Harp's burger was good, Lauren's salad was OK, so I am the picky bitch of our family!. To add insult to injury,  the promised "we'll give a free dessert" was charged to us. When we got home, I called to speak to a manager, who told me "Sorry" and didn't even flinch when I told her we would not be coming back.  All in all, a pretty crappy $90.00 evening.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2010 at 8:08am
Wow Harp I am so sad to hear this. First they raised the price of their draft beers and now this!

With the end of the beer garden season coming soon.....hmmm, let's hope they get a chef in that can cook.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2010 at 9:11am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Wow Harp I am so sad to hear this. First they raised the price of their draft beers and now this!

With the end of the beer garden season coming soon.....hmmm, let's hope they get a chef in that can cook.

I guess the $50 gift certificate I have will be used for liquids? Belly Up!

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2010 at 9:46am

@Pie - yeah, it was really disappointing. As chilly as it was last night, the beer garden was pretty full. All the drinking smokers!

@Watcher - I'll belly up to the bar with you anytime - the wine was GOOD! Although at $9 a glass, your gift certificate wouldn't last too long!

All kidding aside, the burger was still good and the "chef" actually came to our table and said the carne astroganoff would be fixed. I wonder, though, how a "chef" needs my input as to how to braise a short rib. Maybe I'll apply for his job! I have to say that while I was really bummed at the decline in food quality and the total lack of service continuity (not from our waiter, but from the support staff), my biggest complaint was the manager's reaction to me. Bad, bad, bad customer service.

Edited by harp10 - 10/September/2010 at 9:49am
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2010 at 3:44pm
Do we know for sure they "changed chefs"?
Last time I was there was about four weeks ago and it was fantastic.  Granted, I go only for the burger (best burger around, right there with Goldy IMO, killer bacon).  If the burgers remain the same I'll continue.

I always thought their draft beer prices were high from the beginning. 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2010 at 5:10pm
maybe give them a chance to fix the problem? wondering if this 'change' was quite sudden.
i go there a bit and life is good.
suggest you call the owner - your complaints are serious and deserve attention. dennis?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/September/2010 at 9:35pm
had dinner there last night. figured i'd go simple and allow the new chef time to acclimate :)
anyway, before we ordered i asked our server (delightful local) about the new guy - she said he was fab!
i mentioned that a regular customer posted a very unsatisfactory experience and she was a bit bewildered - said both staff and customers seem super pleased. hmm.

i had grilled calamari (good) and cream of mushroom soup (most excellent), friend had a special scallop/risotto w/a lemon under-flavor. so-so.

the jury is still out? At a loss

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/September/2010 at 9:57pm
Simple to me is a burger.  When they screw that up I'll know they're, uhh...toast!  :)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/September/2010 at 10:02pm
a burger was my plan (and i NEVER order a burger), but the server gave me hope.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2012 at 8:25pm
LOL... so they changed their name? I hadn't even noticed!

I went for a coupla burgers w/the ol' lady the other day, and noticed my receipt later that day said "Fat Duck" on it, with a fat duck sitting there. I thought maybe it was an early April Fools joke or something till I went to the website and confirmed it is now "Fat Duck." I then found a related story from late last year! :-D

Duckfat in Forest Park forced to change name to Fatduck
 Post Reply Post Reply