Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gulf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Gulf
    Posted: 03/May/2010 at 6:11pm
this made me think of you, pie. tell your bosses you need a two month sabbatical, w/double pay :)
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 6:36pm
BP should be forced to PAY people to come help this mess is theirs.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 7:25pm
Perfect opportunity for BP to hire the under-employed down there to fix their mess.
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 8:28pm
Maybe they should hire the shrimpers they just put out of business.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

Heard some of them on the news this morning say the exact same thing. Yes, they should do that!
greatauntoftriplets View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 8:46pm

The shrimpers are ready and waiting with their boats. 
Round the world, the truth will echo.
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 10:30pm
And Obama should get his head out of his butt regarding the safety of off-shore drilling.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by greatauntoftriplets greatauntoftriplets wrote:

To do what? Exactly? That's the problem. The Valdez spill did give us some ways to deal with spillage, but this is different. There's no off switch so the immediate problem is to stop the leak. I don't think shrimpers have the solution for that.

The most interesting proposal I've heard floated is to somehow corral and herd the slick away from critical areas. The boats could come in handy for that, but first they have to figure out how.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2010 at 9:21am
Gee, you'd think that these drilling companies would have to have some sort of plan in place for just this type of accident that was bound to happen at some point!

Guess they're all too greedy getting their huge bonuses to put any of it back into accident prevention/cleanup plans!

Edited by piehead - 04/May/2010 at 9:21am
greatauntoftriplets View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2010 at 10:23am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

To do what? Exactly? That's the problem. The Valdez spill did give us some ways to deal with spillage, but this is different. There's no off switch so the immediate problem is to stop the leak. I don't think shrimpers have the solution for that.

The most interesting proposal I've heard floated is to somehow corral and herd the slick away from critical areas. The boats could come in handy for that, but first they have to figure out how.

Shrimpers didn't say specifically what they intended to do, but they want to get things cleaned up so they can start shrimping again.  I think they were willing to do whatever they could to help and so BP would pay them to make up for lost revenues.  Can't say I blame them.
Round the world, the truth will echo.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2010 at 10:46am
will the horror and destruction of cheney never end?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2010 at 10:53am

Shrimpers didn't say specifically what they intended to do, but they want to get things cleaned up so they can start shrimping again.  I think they were willing to do whatever they could to help and so BP would pay them to make up for lost revenues.  Can't say I blame them.

BP clean-up contract. Concern or CYA?

"While Louisianans brace for the Gulf Coast oil slick to make landfall, the oil giant BP has been focusing on a different sort of disaster preparedness: seeking to indemnify itself against the wave of lawsuits that legions of attorneys are already preparing to file over the spill's impact. The company, which owns the destroyed gulf oil rig that is pumping millions of gallons of crude oil into the waters off Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, has reportedly been pushing commercial fishermen pitching in with relief efforts to sign settlement agreements capping any claims against the oil giant at $5,000, and reining in future legal action arising from the spill."

I think the shrimpers are savvy enough to know that their "normal" livelihood is gone for the foreseeable future. There is a new industry in the gulf now.

More questions than answers for now. Looming large is the lack of an emergency shut off and the finagle that eliminated that requirement for gulf oil rigs. Much hand-wringing and finger-pointing will follow. Much will be said about restoring the gulf to its pre-disaster condition, but that's not likely now.

And in a cave somewhere, Osama is grinning.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2010 at 8:41am
"I had a sudden vision yesterday, a possible portent: Dick Cheney will be indicted for his “energy task force” conflicts of interest, and not for war crimes. Like nabbing Capone for tax fraud.
Works for me."

me, too.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2010 at 8:42am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

"I had a sudden vision yesterday, a possible portent: Dick Cheney will be indicted for his “energy task force” conflicts of interest, and not for war crimes. Like nabbing Capone for tax fraud.
Works for me."

me, too.

However they can get him is fine by me.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2010 at 8:54am
This is something I can't do due to a lack of locks, but this charity is collecting human hair to absorb the oil.  Perhaps this should be brought to the attention of salon owners:

Donate your hair to soak up oil

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2010 at 9:43am
read that ^, too. apparently they can also use cat/dog hair. who knew?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/May/2010 at 9:55am
clearly, some basics of drilling for oil were ignored. this particular basic is easy to understand and inconceivable that it's not being done properly. actually cannot be done now, as it was ignored.
a diary (not a front pager) that's been up on daily kos for a couple of days - finally read it last night. beware of strong 'oil man' language :)

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2010 at 10:24pm
"The one obvious takeaway from this situation, for me, is that the industry and government collectively know fuck-all about how to stop leaks that far below the surface.

If that’s correct, then it seems obvious to me that there can be no further drilling in water that deep until we know something more than fuck-all about how to deal with the accidents that are inevitably going to happen from time to time."

that's true.

Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2010 at 10:47pm
It appears that the Government may actually be taking some advice from of all people Kevin Costner, I saw a blurb on Cnn and on Msnbc that agencies have been in contact with he and his partners re: some sort of machine that converts crude oil into water or some such thing.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 8:01am
DC, they were talking about this on WGN Radio over a week ago but then I've not heard anything more again. Evidently, it's some sort of centrifuge that does it. Costner story
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 10:29am
here's an idea from fishgrease (oilman), suggesting they stop the fixes that won't fix and instead shift to capturing/producing the oil until the relief wells can be built.
didn't know that was an option.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 10:30am
Here is idea when is St. Obama going to get involved in this?
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

ah, yes. i think you're looking for this obama.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 12:19pm

Exactly what do you want him to do DC? Please enlighten me.

And then when he does get involved in it, you will say "too much government and my money paying for this". NO matter which way he goes, someone will criticize it.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 2:13pm
Big whoop he flew over the city and looked down at the ocean..he needs to get his butt in gear and do something presidential besides cookouts, workouts and walking the fuc*ing dog, Im pretty sutr the folks down in the gulf expect more them a fly-by.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 2:22pm

he needs to get his butt in gear and do something presidential besides cookouts, workouts and walking the fuc*ing dog
dogcatcher must be very angry w/the owner to take it out on the dog.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 2:38pm
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 6:11pm
He has done nothing since he got voted in..a few talk shows..some state dinners.... a bow down to South Korean jag***, now would be a good time to something substancial before everybody else realizes he is useless.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 6:43pm
time out for the other gulf. bless our soldiers, past and present.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 8:33pm

He has done nothing since he got voted in..a few talk shows..some state dinners.... a bow down to South Korean jag***, now would be a good time to something substancial before everybody else realizes he is useless.
Remind me again what the last president did that was useful. Please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>