Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's been too quiet around my house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2010 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

How do you stop them from tearing everything else up, other than by luck?

I buy these corrugated pads that you rub catnip on and then show to the cat. They take to them pretty quickly.

cat pad link
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2010 at 10:29pm
confession.
I'm not a cat person. dogs.

actually, allergic, but have had cats for years (kids made me do it) - just don't pet them and they can't sleep on my bed. or headlick.
anyway, I'm a bit at a loss. my outdoor kitty has been in the laundry room for two weeks - on the washer or dryer(?) and in the shower the past couple of days. he's drinking water, eating a smidge.
I say hi to him often, pet him (which he love/hates - purrs and tries to bite me.)
i'm thinking we're doing ok. eh?

Edited by citizen - 18/May/2010 at 10:32pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2010 at 8:15am
Citizen, is the cat sick? He should eat more than a smidge. His litter pan look okay?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2010 at 8:41am
I assume he is preparing to die.
he,s 16, this behavior is radical but he appears pain free.
he doesn't like to be fussed with (dr. vigil), so thought i'd hold off a bit. but...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2010 at 9:06am
Does he have a comfy bed to sleep in and a quiet corner to hide in then? My Piehead took to sleeping in the back of the closet all day so we moved a little bed in there.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Does he have a comfy bed to sleep in and a quiet corner to hide in then? My Piehead took to sleeping in the back of the closet all day so we moved a little bed in there.
hell, he's got the run of the house except where my head lies on my bed.
he's insisting on hard, cold surfaces. i put a blanket on the dryer but he pushed it off :)At%20a%20loss
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2010 at 8:34am
Yeah, they like to be alone when they are sick or getting ready to pass. My previous cat hid in my closet and then peed all over my laundry basket (she had seizures)...

My cat seems fine after declawing. She wouldn's use scratching posts and the furniture was starting to be a total loss. I had only her front claws removed and her appetite is fine. I wish THAT had changed...she does not go outside.
Gall town smarm
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2010 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

A handsome cat, Pie!  I'm sure you are both reveling in the new companionship.  It's amazing what proper care and attention will do to a shelter animal.  My girls came from Felines Inc, a no-kill, cage-free shelter on Devon / Paulina.  They take wonderful care of their cats, but it doesn't compare to a home (or outdoor if feral) environment.  My Lil is a half siamese who was deemed a feral too social after a TNR.  She was expected to not be adopted but has become the most playful, affectionate cat.  Ever. 

Info on TNR

Feral cat colonies to be regulated by Berwyn ordinance

It looks like TNR is the cornerstone of this new ordinance.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2010 at 9:42am
I'm pleased TNR has gained momentum, including within Forest Park.  With this and the community garden it makes me happy to live among such activism! 

Just saw a report that shelters are bursting at the seems and are looking for foster homes for kitties.  When I see lovely black kitties like this I am so tempted to undue the delicate balance we have created among the 2 I have. 

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2010 at 10:06am
#6, be careful about upsetting the 2 cat apple cart. When I had 2, I tried 2 different times (following known methods for adding a new cat) to add an additional cat. Each time ended in failure; and much added stress to the 2 originals. I was fortunate in finding homes for the extra cat both times but some times #3 just makes it too hard for the 2 already established in your home.

But good luck to you if you do.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/December/2010 at 9:13am
Anyone looking for kittens?  A ridiculous question in light of the overages at shelters, but I have to ask on behalf of my boss's son who rescued 4 kittens from a horrible and dangerous setting and, while he has found a home for 2 kittens, needs to redirect the other 2 lest he lose his apartment.  PM me for pics or further info, if interested! 

Edited by Number6 - 01/December/2010 at 4:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12