Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Damenzo's Pizza and Restaurant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Damenzo's Pizza and Restaurant
    Posted: 02/June/2010 at 8:01am
Went to Damenzo's for pizza last night, called it in and picked it up for home. They are located on Roosevelt & Marengo where the old White Hen use to be.

One thing I always ask myself when ordering from somewhere new, "Do they use fresh mushrooms or are they canned?". I did not order mushrooms, so I can't answer that question. However, I can say when I asked for olives, they asked "green or black olives" which is a very good sign.

The gentlemen that took my order was nice, ordered half sausage, half pepperoni, green and black olives on the whole thing. And make it WELL DONE, you don't want an undercooked pizza do you?

He said come by in 30, I was there in 27 and it was ready. The place has a small but nice eating area with a bar on the far side. I told the gentlemen that it was my first time and he said that I'll be back.

He was right, I will be back. I can't remember why that piece is missing! :-)

This is not the thinnest pizza at all, but a little thicker than a "thin pizza". However, the crust works well with the very rich sauce that has a lot of depth of flavor with spices. It's a saucy pizza I would say. The pepperoni was great, it appeared to be hand cut and wasn't just some super thin slices, something you could actually taste. The sausage was also good.

The cheese was plentiful and the olives made it very tasty. My favorite was the pepperoni half.

My wife and I both enjoyed it, and the value was HIGH. It was $16.75 or so out the door for the large (14") pizza shown in the pictures. I would put this pizza above average after my first visit.

PaulW recommended!!

Damenzo's Pizza
7300 W. Roosevelt Road
Forest Park, IL 60130

(708) 771-5705

Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2010 at 8:35am
I agree 100% about canned mushrooms being a litmus for non-homemade pizza and that Damenzo's is a solid option for delivery.  BTW there is an existing (albeit oddly named) thread here.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2010 at 12:48pm
oddly named because it was started BEFORE the restaurant opened (thread started in February) so not really odd.

Glad you like it PaulW. I won't be back though...my review is on the 'odd' thread mentioned in #6's post. We had an Italian Beef and Spaghetti with ketchup sauce and burned hamburger meat balls. Maybe it's a Sicilian place (or as my nonna would have said "Bas Italia" combined with an evil look).

Edited by piehead - 02/June/2010 at 12:49pm
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2010 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

oddly named because it was started BEFORE the restaurant opened (thread started in February) so not really odd.

Glad you like it PaulW. I won't be back though...my review is on the 'odd' thread mentioned in #6's post. We had an Italian Beef and Spaghetti with ketchup sauce and burned hamburger meat balls. Maybe it's a Sicilian place (or as my nonna would have said "Bas Italia" combined with an evil look).

For some reason, that doesn't surprise me.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2010 at 2:16pm
I must say it looks 100% better then the nasty pizza the first week they were open..we will try it again based on Paul W's pics.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2010 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

oddly named because it was started BEFORE the restaurant opened (thread started in February) so not really odd. Glad you like it PaulW. I won't be back though...my review is on the 'odd' thread mentioned in #6's post. We had an Italian Beef and Spaghetti with ketchup sauce and burned hamburger meat balls. Maybe it's a Sicilian place (or as my nonna would have said "Bas Italia" combined with an evil look).

For some reason, that doesn't surprise me.
Try their spaghetti w/meatballs or italian beef and tell me you like it then.

You have no idea how much I wanted it to be good. The bar across the street from it (Carole's) doesn't serve food and she will let you order in from places and you can eat it at her ultra clean bar. We so much wanted to be able to do just that with DaMenzo's. We were so disappointed.

Edited by piehead - 02/June/2010 at 3:10pm
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2010 at 4:03pm
Pie, you know I had to say that! Try the pizza.....you might like it.

I will try a beef or something like that in the upcoming weeks for lunch just to see if I like it or not. BTW, the menu has mexican stuff on it....what's with that? There is Ino's and the new place right across the street from it....plus the place across from the Jewel.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2010 at 4:29pm
I've been getting their slices of pepperoni after work and have to say it's the best damn slice I've had anywhere around here.  For one of the Blackhawks games I ordered a couple pizzas, one pepperoni, and there was absolutely no letdown.  My guests loved it.

Yes, heavier on the sauce, but it's a GOOD sauce with an interesting flavor, not some ketchup-y crap I'm used to tasting in these here parts. 
I think PaulW nailed it:
"not the thinnest pizza at all, but a little thicker than a "thin pizza". However, the crust works well with the very rich sauce that has a lot of depth of flavor with spices. It's a saucy pizza I would say. The pepperoni was great, it appeared to be hand cut and wasn't just some super thin slices, something you could actually taste."

Wait, didn't you say Number6 "nailed it" before?
Yes, but her description emphasized the mouth feel and the cheeses.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2010 at 10:24pm
Tried the pizza not bad..but the #4 sandwich is amazing !!!
FOCUS !!
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2010 at 12:05pm
Barbacoa taco was not bad though drier than what I'm used to.  Enjoyed their salsas but have no idea if they are house-made or purchased.  
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

I think PaulW nailed it:
"not the thinnest pizza at all, but a little thicker than a "thin pizza". However, the crust works well

And regarding the crust- it was crispy on my pie as well as in the slices (which are thrown back into the oven for an additional minute before serving).  Usually thicker crusts are doughy or bread-y, but this doesn't act that way.

I can only surmise that when pie suggested they looked like "big rubber slices" <LOL> they must've been customer ordered as I've had nothing of the sort.

Unbending proof:

slightly embellished with exaggerated chompage/smackage
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2010 at 2:27pm
Perhaps we will have to order one after all.

If so, I'll definitely report back.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2010 at 6:03pm
Tried the pie again asked for it crispy..very good .
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2010 at 12:31pm
Well we tried DaManzo's pizza.

It was okay but not the type of pizza we like. Way too much sauce. Way too thick of a crust. The sausage was tasty and the green peppers were fine.

We'll stick with Benny's.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2010 at 1:17pm
Where is DaManzo's?  Big smile

Truthfully the crust is thicker than I like, too, but when I get the slices they put them back in the oven and it crisps up real nice. 
When I got a pie it was kinda crisp too; normally those thicker ones are too doughy for me.  But yeah, they do put a lot of snauce on there as well.  Wife doesn't care for the style either; may try to get her one extra thin, easy snauce for her [cause if we both like a place, chances ^^ for us to get it more often ;-) ].

Edited by arneharris - 23/September/2010 at 2:24am
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2010 at 11:15pm
Mmmm Bennys.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2010 at 9:06am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

Mmmm Bennys.

Large thin crust with sausage (well done, xx thin crust). $16.45 delivered!!!!
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2010 at 10:11am

DaMenzos is very expensive.. we to will stick with Bennys.

FOCUS !!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2010 at 10:58am

Where is DaManzo's?  Big smileTruthfully the crust is thicker than I like, too, but when I get the slices they put them back in the oven and it crisps up real nice.  When I got a pie it was kinda crisp too; normally those thicker ones are too doughy for me.  But yeah, they do put a lot of snauce on there as well.  Wife doesn't care for the style either; may try to get her one extra thin, easy snauce for her [cause if we both like a place, chances ^^ for us to get it more often ;-) ].

What is snauce?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2010 at 11:10am
Ground up Snausages
FOCUS !!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2010 at 12:28am

Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

Mmmm Bennys.

Large thin crust with sausage (well done, xx thin crust). $16.45 delivered!!!!

Meh.  Every time I've tried it it's been low-grade.  Ketchup-like sauce (in Damenzo's quantities), regular snausage (though NO one can match Villa Nova for that). 

But, alas, I will try it again with xx thin crust.  I think that's the secret to most Berwyn pizza since most places make it too thick and doughy (chewy doughy, not bready doughy).  Dinico's is like that, Pizza Platter can be, Anthony's... 

Conversely I don't mind Damenzo's sauce overdose and thick crust because the sauce is spiced just right and the crust is crunchy.

As an aside, piehead (lol...perfect name for the thread), have u had their beefs?  They look pretty good for a pizza joint.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2010 at 9:31am
Arne, have you looked up further in the thread. Other half tried the beef our 1st visit and I had horrible spaghetti.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2010 at 12:29pm

As an aside, piehead (lol...perfect name for the thread), have u had their beefs?  They look pretty good for a pizza joint.
Arne, have you looked up further in the thread. Other half tried the beef our 1st visit and I had horrible spaghetti.

Sorry, wasn't clear - I was asking about Benny's beef sammiches.

( My wife had a cheesey beef from Damenzo's while I chomped down a delicious slice of pepperoni pizza.  It was OK.)

Edited by arneharris - 29/September/2010 at 12:32pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2010 at 1:27pm
Oh, sorry Arne. Never tried the beef there. Have had the chicken and the pasta dishes.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2010 at 2:50pm
dammit!  Clown
 Post Reply Post Reply