Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Local Schools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Good Idea Gone Bad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Good Idea Gone Bad
    Posted: 05/June/2010 at 12:26pm
This past week Field Stevensen or the Middle School apparently handed out a bunch of heavily glazed cupcakes to the kids prior them being released in the afternoon. As a result, a lot of those gooey & messy pastries were tossed onto the sidewalks as the kids walked home.
I just happened to be passing the corner of Ferdinand & Harvard and a group of kids were making use of the bench on the N/W corner and one dumbass was smearing the junk from the cupcake on the sidewalk in front of the bench and making a disgusting mess. These were kids who should be old enough to know better. Then some rocket scientist decided to try to fix it up by taking dirt from the planter area and covering the cupcake mess with dirt. As a result there is an ugly & dirty mess in front of a public bench that I've seen a lot of people use. Instead of using the expensive garbage can that was right there, these dopes decided to turn it into a messy public art project.
A friend also had one of those infernal cupcakes thrown on their sidewalk where it was stepped on and the mess was  tracked across the width of their home.

I think the teachers need to understand that kids today are pretty ignorant in their behavior and letting them loose with Pastry Bombs is a recipe for messing up an area that the Village paid a lot of money to improve. Do we have them tell the students not to throw the disgusting cupcakes on the sidewalks on the way home? Probably not a good idea as that would probably make more of them do it in the name of being cool, rebellious, or funny. Maybe the best thing is to not pass out nasty & disgusting cupcakes in the first place. Or have them eat them inside the school and not take them outside.

I've also noticed that one of the benches by Ed's Way is already being marked up with graffiti/gang symbols. How nice! Take a nicely improved neighborhood and mess it up with ghetto crap.

Maybe I'm just getting old but it seems as though kids today are all a bunch of jerks. When I was a kid we were taught to "Give a Hoot & Not Pollute", Keep America Beautiful, Prevent Forest Fires, Don't s**t Where You Eat, etc.

Is it that they're not being taught these core social values in today's schools and at home? Or is it that they just don't give a f**k?
At%20a%20loss

Edited by administrator - 05/June/2010 at 12:29pm
Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2010 at 1:02pm
I don't think they give a f**k. They s**t where they live, so why would their behavior be any different on the streets where you or I live.

They learn from their parent(s), aunts, grandmas, etc.

What a rotten shame that the bench by Ed's is already messed up. Took a bit longer than I thought it would.

Gotta say that last night at 'Summerfest' it was a lot more gangish/ghetto than in past years. Not sure if it was because so many folks were inside watching the Hawks game (or Cubs, or Sox) during prime time. Saw the police handling some of the punk kids.....trouble seems to be brewing.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2010 at 3:32pm
Hmmmm benches great idea. Love to sit on the one by my corner but if they removed them all tomorrow oh well....so can I just say TOLD YA SO . GHETTO thugs cannot have anything nice.
FOCUS !!
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2010 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

I don't think they give a f**k. They s**t where they live, so why would their behavior be any different on the streets where you or I live.

They learn from their parent(s), aunts, grandmas, etc.

What a rotten shame that the bench by Ed's is already messed up. Took a bit longer than I thought it would.

Gotta say that last night at 'Summerfest' it was a lot more gangish/ghetto than in past years. Not sure if it was because so many folks were inside watching the Hawks game (or Cubs, or Sox) during prime time. Saw the police handling some of the punk kids.....trouble seems to be brewing.

If FoPa can afford upwards of $500 K for a decorative but largely useless little box park, I'd think an extra few thousand for a digital surveillance camera would be warranted.
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2010 at 9:56pm
I gotta go with the surveillance camera idea. They don't cost that much money but they need to keep track of the 'thugs'.
justaparker View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2010 at 11:06pm
How much does Surveillance cost? Should we put one on each bench? Summerfest was gangish/ghetto? Well I know I will pay hell for even posting but I have to say Summerfest was not ganish/ghetto you seemed to be having a good time Pie, and as for the teacher or school who gave out cupcakes..... thank you. Not all kids are thugs a few kids got stupid and smeared their cupcake, they were not doing crack!    Most kids dont give a crap, saw the benches today and they looked fine and saw no evidence of cupcake smearing,
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2010 at 8:23am
Justa, Summerfest was okay. I only attended for a couple of hours on Friday evening. Saw some folks I know but also a whole bunch I usually see just weren't there.

Didn't much care for the band that played in Constitution Court in the evening hours. Didn't like their music. The band at Circle was pretty good though, Timing's Everything. But I still felt like I was more in Maywood than FP, when you'd walk on the street.

Admin did not say there was cupcake on the benches; he mentioned graffiti gang crap on the benches; totally different. The cupcake crap is probably all washed away now with the rains we had yesterday.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2010 at 11:09am
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

I just happened to be passing the corner of Ferdinand & Harvard and a group of kids were making use of the bench on the N/W corner and one dumbass was smearing the junk from the cupcake on the sidewalk in front of the bench and making a disgusting mess. These were kids who should be old enough to know better. Then some rocket scientist decided to try to fix it up by taking dirt from the planter area and covering the cupcake mess with dirt. As a result there is an ugly & dirty mess in front of a public bench that I've seen a lot of people use.
so what did you/the other adult neighbors do?
i like the image of you grabbing one of them and smooshing a fresh cupcake in their face, possibly w/dirt sprinkles, but...
 Post Reply Post Reply