Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Local Schools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School For Thought item in Post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/July/2010 at 3:56pm
first, i thought those washington high rises went condo.
granted some of them may be rented by owners in this economy, but that is true of most of the condo bldgs.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/July/2010 at 5:44pm

harp, i think transiency is a factor but not the cause.

and we have two strains of transients:
1) the change up every year w/renters(?) - do you recall what those %'s were?
2) our supposed 'stable' folks pull their kids out every year.

the latter is why our school population does NOT reflect our general pop. D91 website states 50% black, 25% white, 25% hispanic, asian, mixed.
chicken/egg?

Edited by citizen - 23/July/2010 at 5:44pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2010 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

Precisely, Watcher.  I think and hope that I am one of many who believe that opting into the system instead of out will offer mutual benefit.  That plus better funding not based on property values should make things better.Plus I would never send a child to private schools - especially religious - where teachers are paid a lower wage than public teachers so that the organization can pay lobbyists to pass laws I abhor. 

Now that the author has visited/joined the forums, it may be a good time to kick this pig.

My biggest objection/worry/complaint/observation about public schools in general and FoPa's double bubble is that the numbers being used to DEFINE our schools are not proper measures. Firstly, the numbers are incomplete. They account ONLY for the students in LAST year's public school classes.

If mobility numbers have risen drastically, that would tend to make the numbers mostly inaccurate because of the wholesale change. If there's been a sea change in our schools, how can we look at numbers to find answers?

Here, I must confess to sending my two children to private high schools.
We, as a family, wrestled with this issue for a long, long time. Hoping against hope that District 209 would give us a reason to buy into their
plan. When decision day came, the choice wasn't hard at all. 209 didn't have a plan or even a clue.

Anecdotally, in hindsight, it was the right decision educationally for my kids. Their classmates scattered to the four winds, some in clumps, others to greener public school grass elsewhere.

I closely watched two cohorts, two years apart move through Dist. 91. I talked to other parents and we went through it together. High school was another matter altogether. By second grade it was already pretty clear that Proviso would not be in their future, but both groups were satisfied with Dist. 91. The core of both groups came through intact and successful as a group. They were fully prepared for their next challenge.

There was a slight ripple in the first group when it hit middle school. Some parents wanting to pave the high school transition with established friendships in their new community. Two years later, the ripple was more evident. Perhaps the beginning of a trend?

That was then, this is now? What changed?

It seems that many young parents are now making that nagging high school decision before kindergarten? Stunningly, I'm not hearing ANY kind of discussion about this in District 91.

From the Proviso experience, I can say that "it's not as bad as people think" is very bad advertising and public relations.

The Grade Center plan will now enter its second year and the only measure of its implementation is the District Report Card? That's why I said Ms. Valleau's piece in the Post is MUST reading. It's the only thing I've seen on the issue and I tend to LOOK for such things.

So what is the deal?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2010 at 8:09pm
'I personally know of 8 families from Garfield (a total of 11 students), who made that same choice. Oh wait, I forgot to include the esteemed Mr. Garlisch and his three kids!".

Can't say I am crying re the G's...
Gall town smarm
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2010 at 2:08pm

This is the first that I have heard the Garlish left FP because of the grade schools here.  I went through all the coverage in the Review and it doesn't say that there.  Where did he say that he left because of our grade schools?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2010 at 8:28pm

juju's comment was hard to decipher. i have heard nothing re: the garlish family's reason for moving and assume it was for personal reasons.

harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2010 at 9:31pm
The comment was actually mine. As I do not have personal knowledge as to why the Garlisch's moved, I will admit that my comment was most likely snarky and a result of the sour grapes I have toward the man. I am sorry for letting my personal feelings stand in the way of my objectivity. I will go stand in the corner now.Ouch
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2010 at 9:48pm
hmm. i can see your pov - if most folks in town w/options either leave or go private because we have no proper HS, guess one would be very curious as to why a board member w/3 kids...left.
(get out of the corner - we're all wondering what you're really doing there :)

edited: deleted severe crankiness

Edited by citizen - 27/August/2010 at 8:14am
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2010 at 10:47am
The fact that his daughter is in 7th grade this year I would say that if his move was related to a school system it is the high schools not the elementary.

harp10, thank you for taking ownership of the comment and admitting it was a personal opinion on your part.  Unfortunately, in this town too many rumors get started when someone presents their opinion as fact.

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said, "You are entitled to your opinion, just not your own facts."
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2010 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

The fact that his daughter is in 7th grade this year I would say that if his move was related to a school system it is the high schools not the elementary.

harp10, thank you for taking ownership of the comment and admitting it was a personal opinion on your part.  Unfortunately, in this town too many rumors get started when someone presents their opinion as fact.

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said, "You are entitled to your opinion, just not your own facts."

Martini, you are welcome, I will never have a problem taking ownership of my comments - even if they seem ill-advised or even assinine to some. I am smart enough to realize that sometimes my emotions overrule my common sense. That said, I would like to address a few things.

First of all, I never profess my opinion as fact. I answered a question as to how many children/families left District 91 because of the Grade Level Center change. I answered that question based on my personal knowledge of the FACTS. There may be more children who moved, but there are no less. That is a FACT. The comment as to the Garlisch family was made very tongue in cheek, and I think that was pretty obvious by the way I phrased it. I never professed to hear a "rumor" and construe it as fact. I do concede that a "dripping with sarcasm" button might be necessary for some people - I wish I had one!

Secondly, my feelings toward Mr. Garlisch are not directed at him alone, but at the entire school board. In my opinion (and yes, it is MY opinion and not a fact), the decision was made for grade level centers before parents even heard about it. Nothing we said, no question we asked, and no concern we had was going to prevent Dr. Cavallo from his ultimate goal. My disdain for Mr. Garlisch lies in the fact that he absolutely, wholeheartedly threw himself into this being the "wave of the future - (my quote, not his)" and, for whatever reason, pulls his kids out less than a year later. If high school (or even middle school) was even a far off issue for him and his family, I believe he should have either recused himself from voting, or, more importantly, held up the vote until all the rest of the parents were privvy to the great benefits of GLC's. In MY (and many other parents) opinion, there was just not enough information on the table to push the vote through so quickly. The FACT though, is they did. Mr. Garlisch was part of that. Am I angry? Yes. Do I want to be paying for private school? NO. Am I worried about what this does to my property values? Yep. Can I change it? Nope. I have literally thousands of pages of research regarding GLC's and how they affect our kids. I would be happy to meet any of you for coffee (although not usually my beverage of choice) and discuss them. At the school board meetings, our thoughts and concerns fell on deaf ears. The entire process was a joke. I am angry and I might be a bit snarky, but in MY opinion, every person on the school board deserves it! They are supposed to stand for us, not blatently ignore us and that is what "I" feel they did.  Anyone who would like to hear Mr. Mott's "shame on me " speech, just let me know.

Before I end this rant (which a freely admit it has become), I would like to throw a few things out for discussion.
1. Citizen asked me in a previous message to explain my worries regarding the transiency rates I spoke of in earlier posts. She asked about the %'s. I went back and looked (sorry, C. that it took so long, but I had to row to my paperwork in the basement). In the 2007 report card (which was the last year available for my research at the time), the mobility rate at Grant White was 35.6 vs. Garfield at 7.8. What does that mean? I don't know, but the Board should, and they didn't - or wouldn't - tell us.

2. My daughter just entered 6th grade. I have yet to receive her scores for her Iowa tests that she took in 4th grade, despite repeated phone calls. Her new school also never received her records despite being informed the day after the school board vote, that she would not be returning and being given the forwarding info. Finally got them (last week) after calling the administration secretary directly.

3. Why has the Superintendent's blog not been updated since my repeated - and for the record, NOT anonymous, questions that I posted every day? Where's all the good news? Where are the latest test scores? Why even bother to have a web site or blog if you never update it? What is really happening with our schools? How is the busing working out? How have GLC's changed our lives for the better?  Ferris? Anyone? Who cares, really?

4. As much as some say the Review doesn't cover this stuff, would anyone really read it? (Yes Dan, I am available to report).

P.S. to Martini: Love the Irish politician quote! You are a brave person.

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan
once said, "You are entitled to your opinion, just not your own facts."

Edited by harp10 - 29/August/2010 at 3:12am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2010 at 9:14am
outstanding post; you certainly hit all the high/low points.
'
FP doesn't do dialogue, at least i have never witnessed it in 10 years.
i hold the review accountable for going along w/such mis-labeled events (resident meetings, workshops, public hearings...) as they absolutely know the difference between interaction and showtime. 
the bigotry of low expections is just fine - here.

who's mott - board member or resident?

jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2010 at 2:14pm
 Mott is a resident, still a board member too, isn't he?
Gall town smarm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12