Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Flood Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Same Sewers; Different Year...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 2:41pm
kp, is this a segue to bad obama? LOL

also, too. just got a Village call on my home phone (which is intriguing me lately) to put our water damaged goods in the alley - they're arranging for extra help.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 6:38pm
Guess the village had to come up with that one without the help of our village administrator. I believe he was (or still is) on vacation.

We actually got the robo call on our phones today as well.

We pitched all our stuff the last go around.

review article

Edited by piehead - 25/July/2010 at 6:43pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 7:00pm
i'm seeing alot of garbage out in my hood (mid-town). don't think most of us got hit last month...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 8:35pm
I know someone in 600 block got hit that had not been hit in 20 years. They had just (3 mos. ago) put in carpeting in the basement.

Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 9:08pm
http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=5085

Mayor says he's not seeing as much damaged property in the alleys this time. Hmm, could it be because all of our stuff was ruined last month?

Edited by Katie - 25/July/2010 at 9:09pm
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 10:34pm
We have been in the same house for 50 yrs NEVER had water EVER til the streets were fixed SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG !!!!
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

We have been in the same house for 50 yrs NEVER had water EVER til the streets were fixed SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG !!!!
i think each of us is w/you that 'something is very wrong.' question is WHAT.

my plumber reports that water was curb to curb on north side of town early sat morning. i didn't realize the streets were that backed up.
Patty Marino View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Marino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 12:22pm
I was just watching the WGN news at noon and they showed the Red Cross in Franklin Park, Melrose Park, Bellwood, etc. handing out supplies to people with flooded basements. They also showed the Cicero Village Hall where people were applying for State aid on forms titled Flood Assistance Program. Elmhurst is having a town meeting tonight to educate residents on getting state aid. I haven't seen the Red Cross here or heard of any state aid for Forest Park. Does anyone know anything about how this works? I would think some of our residents without sewer back-up insurance might be interested in getting whatever help they can.
rdscaf View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdscaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 12:23pm
Harrison, Marengo, and Lexington were bank full!
Just howl'n at the moon!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 12:25pm
Patty, I would suggest a call to the village hall. Someone in our village ought to be looking out for us as well.

Maybe we should all call the village and find out why they are not out there trying for us, the voters and taxpayers.

I just called and now I'm even more confused. Evidently at the council meeting the 'engineering people' will be there and they will make comments. I could not get a straight answer if we would be allowed to ask questions though (I know the mayor doesn't like questions at council meetings but the person answering the phones is directing people to attend this evening). BUT she couldn't tell me if we could ask a question or just make a comment.

Edited by piehead - 26/July/2010 at 12:30pm
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

I am now an expert in getting a hot water heater with a sealed burner out, dried out, put back in, take it out, put back in, and then figure out how to keep it going as the moisture is still in there. It's up and working again.

PaulW, There's a Trick to Getting a Flooded SEaled how water tank to "RE-Light" ,

the tanks have a Filter on the Bottom and well a wet Filter  don't let in Enough Air for the tank  to work when the plate's gas is going,   Sure you got Enough Air for a Poilt but not for the Whole Plate when when it lights..
SO this is How to Fix it.. :)
Un-do the 3 lines, Polit tube Flame Tube and the Thermocouple  Remove the plate/Buner and Get out your leaf Blower.. Shove it into the Sealed Opening And Start Blowing for 3 to 10 mins to Air out the Filter.. Put back into tank And I Would tell you to Light it With a Match Before you Close it all up, That Little Spack Ingintor Sucks When Damp and it usally Don't want to Light the Polit..

Once the Poilet is lit and Stays lit, add the 2 or 4 screws to the Seal door and Turn the Gas valve from Polit to  to On.. And your set to go..  Enjoy.. BCB...

P.s.There is a Small Little Capsule in the tank pass the plate, Don't Break, I Don't know the name of it But was told If you Break it Time for a New tank..
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 3:19pm
riddle me this:
appears our insurance companies will not insure rental properties for drain/sewer backup nor flooding. how does this make any sense?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

riddle me this:

appears our insurance companies will not insure rental properties for drain/sewer backup nor flooding. how does this make any sense?

Probably a separate topic...

but you know how those renters are...

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
rdscaf View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdscaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 3:45pm
FP flooding Facebook page formed plus other information.

Edited by rdscaf - 26/July/2010 at 3:46pm
Just howl'n at the moon!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

riddle me this:

Probably a separate topic...

but you know how those renters are...
yes, renters are all powerful - they caused FP's drainage system to overflow. salt creek, too :)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 5:55pm

not a member, but did check out facebook. and good on them as i don't see much/any news on the chronic flooding anywhere else. the trib is still putting up reader pics and our village has not one word on its website.

folks needs answers/guidance and it better come soon.

here's what i learned today:
1) oak park's storm system is one of the best around
2) FP's is really old the drainage pipes are really small - maybe 8"
3) insurance won't insure tenant occupied properties
4) tons of folks w/complete drain tile/sump systems flooded. our two premier companies (permaseal & us waterproofing) say their systems are not guaranteed 'in this type of rain.'
good luck w/that line.
5) some folks flooded w/clear water, others have sludge residue
6) some homes flooded, but their next door neighbors did not
7) anthony bruno did much of the consulting work on the water works of the flooding villages
8) this issue might be brought up at the council meeting tonight at 7pm.

what else do we know? c'mon, you know the routine - you've watched House, right?

Edited by citizen - 26/July/2010 at 5:57pm
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 6:51pm
1. Renters, who don't OWN the property, takes less better CARE of said property.

Doesn't make them inhuman scum, just less responsible, especially younger renters.

2. Oak Park let a $111 million bond issue nearly 20 years ago to pay for a massive upgrade of its sewer system. That's called asking residents to bite the bullet in order to resolve a long term problem.

Unfortunately, most of the leaders in this town just bite.

3. I believe the water system projects the now-imprisoned Bruno worked on had to do with potable water and water pressure, not sewer lines. But correct me if...
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 6:53pm

folks needs answers/guidance and it better come soon.

here's what i learned today:

7) anthony bruno did much of the consulting work on the water works of the flooding villages

Actually If you Paid Close attention you would Remember that Mr Bruno  Had No  Degree of any sort for "Water" Being in charge of the Water Pipe System that were Fixed, "Because We REALLY needed it, All $11 Million" ..

BUT if Mr Bruno Fixed And "Quote" Replaced our Old Water pipes" .. Why did Harvard need A new Water line Again? 70 + years on the old one and and less then 10 for a new one? Reaganomics?? The math Don't add up..  However this is What i Remember..

So Did Bruno REplace our old water pipes or not "But Still got paid"   And we Re-paid for a new-New water line ?I Don't know.. I Do Know, I Would Really be Upsat if The village Paid Twice for the same Water Project, But hey,.. It's only Money.. BCB...

P.s.. Where's Bruno Now? Tearing Down a Building in Cicero Without Proper papers? Nope he left there.. He did do a little something in Berwyn If I recall.. And of Course the Melrose park's Water pipes needed to be, "Err"r Replaced?  I might be wrong, BUT, Everytime I hear BRUNO, My Bottom Puckers up..Next time Free K-Y for the Villigers.. :).. 

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Dunlop Man Dunlop Man wrote:

1. Renters, who don't OWN the property, takes less better CARE of said property.
Doesn't make them inhuman scum, just less responsible, especially younger renters.

2. Oak Park let a $111 million bond issue nearly 20 years ago to pay for a massive upgrade of its sewer system. That's called asking residents to bite the bullet in order to resolve a long term problem.
Unfortunately, most of the leaders in this town just bite.

3. I believe the water system projects the now-imprisoned Bruno worked on had to do with potable water and water pressure, not sewer lines. But correct me if...
thanks for 2 & 3, dunlop dude.
pray tell, how do renters overflow our municipal storm sewers and salt creek?
actually, how do they have the power to stop either situation? you know, so the water doesn't come into their home. which is the logical conclusion of the policy.

Edited by citizen - 26/July/2010 at 6:58pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 7:41pm

what else do we know? c'mon, you know the routine - you've watched House, right?

It's Lupus?

1.) Madison St. looks mahvelous.
2.) It is better to look good than to feel good.
3.) Traffic calming bump outs, sarcophagi planters and parking   
    eliminating medians are more bang for the buck?    
4.) Mike Stirk can explain how the flooding had nothing to do with      nothing. If you don't believe him just ask him.   
5.) Cruise night was not impacted by the sewer problems.

but most of all we've learned that WATER can make a decision.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 9:36pm
Potable water or sewer water, it's still interesting how many towns that Bruno "consulted" on water projects ended up in major trouble. Work not done, work not done properly leading to trouble.

Was at the meeting at village hall tonight. Hizzoner declared FP a disaster area today. The declaration rolls upward--to the county, then the state, then the feds. Expectation is that the whole state will be declared a disaster area in the next few weeks. BTW, someone pointed out that the grading on Harvard may not have been done properly, leading to this new flooding problem. No one addressed  that comment--no one on the council, not our esteemed engineer C. Burke, not our Village Admin, not our village engineer, not Public Works, not Streets, not Water, no one.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 10:07pm
that's Dr. Burke to you, katie :)

it was an informative meeting, even a good meeting, but not a meeting of solutions.
essentially, the rain was inordinate, the mccook reservoir filled up, so deep tunnel filled up, so our sewers filled up, so our basements became 'temporary retention ponds.'
i.e. our infrastructure cannot handle the types of storms we've had the past month.
and there are no guaranteed solutions, no matter how much $$ you have to spend.
no two houses or their plumbing are alike.
and harvard/jackson re-do did not cause/exacerbate these problems but they will do a video test to ensure no blockage occured by mistake.

there is a presentation w/maps illustratrating the above that will be available on the village site in a week or two.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2010 at 10:46pm
lotta time spent on FEMA $$, which is what katie mentioned w/cook cty becoming a disaster area. do not hold your breath.
assume the review will cover the details wednesday.

btw, i'm guessing about 150 in attendance.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 7:39am

lotta time spent on FEMA $$, which is what katie mentioned w/cook cty becoming a disaster area. do not hold your breath.

FEMA is a joke. I know someone who flooded in Brookfield a year or so ago. Her big help from FEMA for all her ruined property........$150, yes One hundred fifty dollars!!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Katie Katie wrote:

BTW, someone pointed out that the grading on Harvard may not have been done properly, leading to this new flooding problem. No one addressed  that comment--no one on the council, not our esteemed engineer C. Burke, not our Village Admin, not our village engineer, not Public Works, not Streets, not Water, no one.

Guess, the tap on the shoulder that Mike Stirk mentioned in his belittling talk to the council last year, isn't what it takes to get an answer. That's probably why people they need they need to go over their heads (on some, not much of a reach) to try and get an answer.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 8:05am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

FEMA is a joke. I know someone who flooded in Brookfield a year or so ago. Her big help from FEMA for all her ruined property........$150, yes One hundred fifty dollars!!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
don't think it's a joke, and not sure it's a fit for what most FPers suffered.
for instance:
1) they only compensate non-insured (sewer/drain) props
2) tend not to consider basements as living areas/compensatable
3) tend to cover only structural damage, not possessions

westchester/bellwood might be a whole other ballgame.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 8:32am
Was a very Sad Podium comment's With Quite a Few Asking for help,
"Who/Where/How Do we call the Village, What about my Furnace , it's 1 week and a year old..  What about us Seniors We Cant move Couches and Chairs..  "

I heard the Same problems over and over, "Funny/Sick part" The mayor said he Drove down Each and EVERY alley And he Notice Less Stuff outside in the Garbage.. After 3 Floods in less then 30 days, WHAT is left to Get Ruined?

As I've read Piehead was one of very few that was able to Replace Carpet Which is I Assume Ruined Again.. 

As for Podium Questions, I did have 1, But I All ready knew the Answer, Well the Answer in part, Does the Village Still have the Sewer Gate valve Program that the Village will pay Half of,.?  Since one person said they contacted the Village about $$ and was told The Village is Broke,Try your Insurance or maybe the State/County of Cook for help...

off hand I Would Ask Any Forest park Forums Member That are Abel to Give a Hand Stop at the Village hall Ask for an ID as a Flood Helper and Try to Help some of these people out..
Marty Put on Record that it Should Be Checked into Who Should go First? And Then Go in Order.. I Think the Flooded Person Should go First...it Smells Now What do you think Will be in a Week or 3 when Help arrives,IF Ever.. 

Again My IDEA, Stop at Village Hall And Try to Get an ID That Shows The Village Knows Who you Are and maybe Donate Time/Labor to these people.. A lot of the Hot water tanks and Furnaces Need to be Re-light and see if they really are gone, 90% are not..

Just like PaulW's Needed to be Dried out And then lit. OR they can Call a Plumber and Spend over $200 For the Same Service..

The Village I Guess is taking Calls for help , Not Helpers.. Sorry for the Rant, Back to the Show... BCB..

Edited by bcbandit - 27/July/2010 at 9:14am
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 8:36am
P.S, I'm Sure if you Don't know how to light /Dry out Water tanks and Furnaces,,, Strong hands to Clean out the Couches Still would be Helpful... BCB...
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 9:03am

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 9:05am

for folks who can pay but at extremely fair prices - Metro Junk (708) 280-9987.

they'll get whatever you need moved, in the alley, carpet removed, whatever. highly recommended.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>