Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Flood Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Same Sewers; Different Year...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suntarot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 9:29am
I can try to help as well. I my not be able to lift a lot of heavy stuff but i can move stuff to the garbage and get rid of that smell. I also can help try to attempt to clean some of the smell out. We can all work together as a team to help others as well.
I have to take a run out of state today leave me a PM if interested in my help.
I hope everyone is getting by for now.
I really hope there are others that are willing to help out with love not looking for $$$.

Suntarot

P.S. related to bcb and a good friend of the Admins.

Edited by Suntarot - 27/July/2010 at 9:30am
Just One day at a time
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 9:39am
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

As I've read Piehead was one of very few that was able to Replace Carpet Which is I Assume Ruined Again.. 
NO, when the rains turned torrential on Friday night, I proactively (along with other half) rolled up carpets and got them out of harms way before the waters hit them. Our pool table has become a rolled carpet storage facility, as well as a chair holder!

When we went to bed on Friday night (about 1:30AM) the water was coming in from the floor drains and all that we could put up we had.

Saturday morning we went down to assess the damage. This time the toilet did NOT overflow, just the shower and the floor drains. I guess most of the mud was cleared out last flood. Worked Saturday to start the clean up; we finished a huge part of it yesterday (couldn't face it on Sunday...our backs were killing us); tonight we will finish up.

We do not have much on our floors; things that can have wheels/casters, do. Our furnace, water heater, washer, dryer, fridge, freezer, all up at least 6" from floor (saving grace thus far).
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 9:41am

The mayor said he Drove down Each and EVERY alley And he Notice Less Stuff outside in the Garbage.. After 3 Floods in less then 30 days, WHAT is left to Get Ruined?

I think he's looking for some good castoffs

No s**t, the bulk of our ruined stuff was put out 6/24. Our basement is stripped down to essentials now!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 9:57am

I Would Ask Any Forest park Forums Member That are Abel to Give a Hand Stop at the Village hall Ask for an ID as a Flood Helper and Try to Help some of these people out..
Marty Put on Record that it Should Be Checked into Who Should go First? And Then Go in Order.. I Think the Flooded Person Should go First...it Smells Now What do you think Will be in a Week or 3 when Help arrives,IF Ever.. 

bump

The facebook group is also trying to connect need with bodies to help.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
greatauntoftriplets View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 10:52am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

who wasn't at peaslee's yesterday :) the stories!

'heard' the condo complex at randolph/marengo had their underground pkg flooded and all the cars are totaled. unconfirmed.

Confirmed.  I live in that building and my car is one of the ones that was underwater.  As of yesterday, the building still has no power and I have no idea when it will be back on.  The garage is now accessible so my insurance company's "catastrophic events' people will send an adjustor in the next few days and then will arrange to take my car away.  My car is not even three months old.

Cry
Round the world, the truth will echo.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 10:55am
Originally posted by greatauntoftriplets greatauntoftriplets wrote:

'heard' the condo complex at randolph/marengo had their underground pkg flooded and all the cars are totaled. unconfirmed.

Confirmed.  I live in that building and my car is one of the ones that was underwater.  As of yesterday, the building still has no power and I have no idea when it will be back on.  The garage is now accessible so my insurance company's "catastrophic events' people will send an adjustor in the next few days and then will arrange to take my car away.  My car is not even three months old.

Cry
Oh no. That's horrible. Here I'm thinking folks in high rises are safe from flood catastrophes. Sorry to hear.

So your garage is under the building then? Had no idea.
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Cry
Oh no. That's horrible. Here I'm thinking folks in high rises are safe from flood catastrophes. Sorry to hear.

So your garage is under the building then? Had no idea.

Yes, the parking is under the building, but so is Ramar Tower's and they never lost power or flooded.  Go figure.  The fire chief was around for a good share of the day and the mayor came -- said they would arrange buses to take people to the community center, but that didn't solve the problem of where to sleep.  Friend of a neighbor took me to my sister's house in Berwyn -- they were away for the weekend, but I have a key.  Later a policeman came to the door to do a wellness check.  Scared the you-know-what out of me because I thought someone had reported a stranger entering the house.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 11:35am
So, greataunt, your building is out of commission and no one can live there right now? That's no good. So sorry.

Odd that Ramar never lost power or flooded? Strange in fact.
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

So, greataunt, your building is out of commission and no one can live there right now? That's no good. So sorry.

Odd that Ramar never lost power or flooded? Strange in fact.

I think a few people stayed on, but for the most part the building seemed eerily empty.  It was creepy.  And dark. 
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 12:00pm

Cry

I have to ask, Being someone that loves to work on cars.. How deep in the water did the car get?   Muffler, Floorboards,  :( Seats, Dashboards..  ?  If up to the Floorboards BUT not the SEat the car Should be saved, IF the seats got wet.. Then A lot of Electrical Stuff under the Dash is Gone...

Off hand, What Kind/make Model WAs your Car that  Became a Boat? And VERY sorry to hear it, ...BCB..

Edited by bcbandit - 27/July/2010 at 12:12pm
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 12:11pm
Pie, If you Ever need a had with the pool Table, I know where to get the Top Cloth,

Dark green ,light green ,Red "Maroon", Sand Color And about 4 others I have not looked at on a few years.. BUT also have you Bumpers,Pockets, And The Sell Pool Stickes as low as 4 Bucks a Gross.. lol   BCB...
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 12:40pm
BCB, thanks for the info, but THANK GOD, the water only got the leveler feet wet on the table so all is well on the table.
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 12:41pm

Cry

I have to ask, Being someone that loves to work on cars.. How deep in the water did the car get?   Muffler, Floorboards,  :( Seats, Dashboards..  ?  If up to the Floorboards BUT not the SEat the car Should be saved, IF the seats got wet.. Then A lot of Electrical Stuff under the Dash is Gone...

Off hand, What Kind/make Model WAs your Car that  Became a Boat? And VERY sorry to hear it, ...BCB..

My car occupied one of the higher spots in the garage.  I am told the seats were covered with water.  Others that were lower down had water up to the headrests.   The fire chief took one look and said that all the cars down there were totaled.  He also said there was the equivalent of two Olympic sized swimming pools worth of water in the garage...also lots of gas floating around.

I am told that alarms were going on and off all night, trunks were popping open and headlights were turning on, so the assumption is that all the electric stuff is gone.

Mine was a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.   Thanks for the kind thoughts.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 12:58pm
from last night, one thing that we CAN do - disattach all downspouts that drain into the ground. it adds mightily to your house's demise.
it's a really inexpensive process and most folks can do it themselves - easily. direct the water AWAY from the house.

in-ground spouts are against our code but the village only enforces it when a property changes hands. mostly enforces it.
one commenter suggested the village focus on this issue - make it a priority. he was a bit cranky :)

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 1:19pm

from last night, one thing that we CAN do - disattach all downspouts that drain into the ground. it adds mightily to your house's demise.
it's a really inexpensive process and most folks can do it themselves - easily. direct the water AWAY from the house.

in-ground spouts are against our code but the village only enforces it when a property changes hands. mostly enforces it.

one commenter suggested the village focus on this issue - make it a priority. he was a bit cranky :)

As this was in the code back when I purchased (1990), yes, this should be a priority to do drive bys. Perhaps when Mr. Gillian had his staff out counting SFH's vs. multi-family for the garbage contract would have been a good time (that is if the count was ever even done).

I'm amazed how many people don't realize the extra water they are contributing to the system by not having the downspouts routed out from the house! Common sense.

Too bad the mayor doesn't talk about stuff like that in his bi-monthly editorial in his Post or on the village website or in the village publications or anywhere.

Edited by piehead - 27/July/2010 at 1:47pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 1:31pm

from last night, one thing that we CAN do - disattach all downspouts that drain into the ground. it adds mightily to your house's demise.
it's a really inexpensive process and most folks can do it themselves - easily. direct the water AWAY from the house.

one commenter suggested the village focus on this issue - make it a priority. he was a bit cranky :)

Good thing he didn't stick around to hear the council approve spending $15K on the band for Ribfest.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 1:45pm
I'd love a tally on how much FP spends annually on 'entertainment' functions and how much the village spends on extra police and village employees for the events where the entertainment happens. Odd we have money for that stuff, but not to try and keep Circle Theatre in town.

Return to flood talks.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

from last night, one thing that we CAN do - disattach all downspouts that drain into the ground. it adds mightily to your house's demise.
it's a really inexpensive process and most folks can do it themselves - easily. direct the water AWAY from the house.

one commenter suggested the village focus on this issue - make it a priority. he was a bit cranky :)

Good thing he didn't stick around to hear the council approve spending $15K on the band for Ribfest.
are your #s accurate? this is a one day event.
ya know, our uberfestuberpartytown never bothered me at all til cruise nights, even tho i'm not much of a user. 
the village was right last night - there is no money. not here, not at proviso, not in IL and not the feds.
point out a town that has more fests than we do. then point to a town that is not cutting back on non-essentials like $15k for a day of music.
maybe burke beverage/whoever pays for all the cops & clean up, too; i wouldn't know. and neither do you.
jeesh, buy an ipod and rent some speakers. what grade are we in?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 7:59pm
The contract for ribfest is in the agenda.
page 37 $14K

Yep, we have money for that and Groovin in the Grove...3 x $1200 (at least). Mere bag of shells.

Edited by piehead - 27/July/2010 at 8:00pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 8:04pm

Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

are your #s accurate? this is a one day event.
ya know, our uberfestuberpartytown never bothered me at all til cruise nights, even tho i'm not much of a user.
the village was right last night - there is no money. not here, not at proviso, not in IL and not the feds.
point out a town that has more fests than we do. then point to a town that is not cutting back on non-essentials like $15k for a day of music.
maybe burke beverage/whoever pays for all the cops & clean up, too; i wouldn't know. and neither do you.
jeesh, buy an ipod and rent some speakers. what grade are we in?

I just checked the agenda packet. It's $14,000. My error.

I'd be more inclined to accept the festivus if there was ANY indication that money elsewhere wasn't being pissed away, that cronyism was dead and that our priorities are right.

But I look around the town and wonder just what the extra $150 MILLION over the past 11 years paid for. There's gotta be a Pony in there somewhere eh?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 9:43pm
yeah, well i've got problems w/festivus. what? calderone is max yasger?
charge a $10/$15 cover charge for each and see who shows up. ha!
talk about socialism.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 10:02pm
back to the topic of socialism...
i sure hope no one at the meeting last night is yabbering 'small govt' this fall, cause they sure weren't last night.
christ on a cracker, we've got john doss and public works on the line to move furniture because we don't have two nickels to rub together to pay a small business to remove the rotting furniture of a senior citizen for $100.

i happen to believe that govt serves a grand purpose and has its place  - and it definitely has a place in the problems FP is suffering thru, from mccook reservoir to deep tunnel to our freaking basements w/rotting furniture.
music for some, 5x a year - not so much. but that's just me.

dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2010 at 11:20pm
Whoever did the work on Harvard and on Jackson should be investigated they did a s**t job !!! Was this project given to the lowest bidders? A town meeting should be called to address the fact that prior to this flooding like we had twice in a month was unheard of.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

Whoever did the work on Harvard and on Jackson should be investigated they did a s**t job !!! Was this project given to the lowest bidders? A town meeting should be called to address the fact that prior to this flooding like we had twice in a month was unheard of.
The job was given to the constant campaign contributor to our mayor, Calderone and also a village consultant, Christopher Burke.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2010 at 8:48am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

monday's council meeting did address this issue, basically debunked(?) but some folks are still pushing and the village is doing an underground video check.
one resident has been suddenly taking water since the new road - and not just w/our two big storms but with regular rainfall. his story prompted the video test.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2010 at 8:59am
the review ends today's editorial with, "Let's hope the warm sun will dry out our town and that similar "acts of God" will pass us by."

so, let's talk about 'acts of God,' aka climate change.
i don't want to get into the politics or whose fault it is, just want to include violent weather in the equation.
if we're in a new weather phase or in it for the long term, the village and the homeowners need empirical, useful info to move forward.
anyone have links for laypeople?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2010 at 9:32am
dr. burke's 'every home is different' is not particularly useful unless each of us understands the precise differences. we need village help on those details, as most of those details are underground and are shared by owners/village.

for instance, i just had 'call JULIE' out to the house for a digging project and apparently Nicor, ComEd, DuPage Water, Comcast and VFP have documentation as to where the pipes and cables are.
what do these entities know that we need to know to move forward to protect our homes? i'm told each home is unique.

also, a major factor is neglected infrastructure whether it is village, county, state or ComEd, none of which should be overlooked in the analysis.
all the pumps in the world won't help if we have no power.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2010 at 10:33am
one more thing :)
i think most folks absolutely appreciate the unusual scope/violence of both storms, but now we have to move on to the differently difficult work of analysis and solutions - easy or not.
FP has never been good at this part of problem solving and i urge them to try it.
this is also the part where info can be have political repercussions and results hidden/adjusted under the cover of consultancies and studies. let's not do that.

the village has issued a Data Collection Questionnaire for each of us document our level of damage; what does the village intend to do w/this data?
do we have staff to enter the data? what type of program will the data be entered into? what is the scope of the analysis?

Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2010 at 11:35am

i think most folks absolutely appreciate the unusual scope/violence of both storms, but now we have to move on to the differently difficult work of analysis and solutions - easy or not.

Looks like that will happen sooner rather than later.

Cicero blames MWRD for flooding

Quoting from the Sun-Times:

Addressing the Town Board on Tuesday, Town President Larry Dominick said residents watched sewer water gush up through manholes and flood major streets and then subside "as if someone pulled a plug from a bath-tub" after the Water Reclamation District opened locks to reverse the direction of the Chicago River and send flood water into Lake Michigan.

The Water Reclamation District "did a very poor job," Dominick said.

The MWRD denies responsibility.

Cicero spokesman Ray Hanania said the town will sue because "we need to know what the Water Reclamation District did, and what its role is."
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2010 at 1:14pm
I would love to know what % had water back-up vs. flood (like water coming in through foundation) and, of the % who had back-up, how many keep water back-up coverage on their insurance policy.  I know I won't find out... just sayin'.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>