Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Flood Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Same Sewers; Different Year...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2010 at 9:08pm
Ask the Head of CU in FP  to scan in the one i gave him as a Black and white picture and Upload it here, IF you need it all you do is save the pic to your desktop and then Print it as a Full Size Pic in Black and white, Plain or draft mode.. BCB

I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2010 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

my anecdote of the day: still do not know one person who took water in OP, and only one of those who did not take water knew of someone who did (NE corner.)
many who did not take water are south and south of 290.

edit: wait - i lied. know one person on 200 n taylor who took a 2-3 inches. first time ever.

The previous email I posted was from a pal (very) North of Madison...

edit: all his neighbors who flooded also live (very) North of Madison...LOL

Edited by arneharris - 09/August/2010 at 9:17pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2010 at 9:28pm
arne, and anecdotally: sounds as tho both OP and berwyn 'spot' flooded, which is quantitatively different than FP flooding, which was almost all, and some way more than others..
do you think that is a fair assessment?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

Ask the Head of CU in FP  to scan in the one i gave him as a Black and white picture and Upload it here, IF you need it all you do is save the pic to your desktop and then Print it as a Full Size Pic in Black and white, Plain or draft mode.. BCB

WTF???

wrong topic?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2010 at 9:49pm
Last page had Questions about/Answers about our flood papers papers That had to Also do With Floods, I can Upload these Pics Now, OR IF this is the Wrong Topic, Go back to the start of This Topic Page 7 and the Forms Are mention.. IF this is the wrong topic, let me know And I'll Clean it up... BCB... 
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2010 at 12:03am

arne, and anecdotally: sounds as tho both OP and berwyn 'spot' flooded, which is quantitatively different than FP flooding, which was almost all, and some way more than others..
do you think that is a fair assessment?

Not per our Mayor (press conference declaring Berwyn disaster area):

5:53 - "June 23 rainstorm flooded...70% of the households in Berwyn..."

Other high low lights
5:20 - "email from Terry O'Brien from MWRD: ...Act of God... no way that any storm system in the world could have held this amount of water...virtually impossible"

"recurring damage...past Saturday...deputy drury and myself...walked thru basements that had several inches of water..."

7:23 - "we are speaking with Cicero city atty re: suing MWRD...
The City maintains no liability, truly an act of god; nothing that we could have done, or any city could have done, to prevent this from happening...

Edited by arneharris - 10/August/2010 at 12:39pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2010 at 9:56am
thanks, arne. didn't know it was that extensive. did OP/RF/FP give % estimates?
probably alot of inflation going around for FEMA but i'll assume we're all inflating at about the same rate.  but i've been fooled before :)
Finbarr Moran View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finbarr Moran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Originally posted by Finbarr Moran Finbarr Moran wrote:

I am a lifelong resident. In the past, we have not had the rate of power failures that have been occurring in the last few years.

I wonder if Com Ed has had to “short sheet” their maintenance program due to the pandering of many politicians who have pressured them to keep rates down?

Oh Goody! More cans of worms.

Politicians pandering? In Illinois? Pull-ease!

Admin's gonna love it. Com Ed has evolved immensely since becoming an owned subsidiary of PECO. IOW, we've come a long way since "Little Bill" was the company spokes-bird.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2010 at 11:20am
is that^ a bump?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2010 at 1:23pm

is that^ a bump?

Just another mystery.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2010 at 2:49pm
"$60 million needed for Forest Park sewers, say Gillian and Calderone"

The Push for FEMA aid

So they've known for 10 years that $60 Million was needed, but made no effort to incrementally make repairs while spending $100 million more over that time period on other stuff?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2010 at 2:55pm
Well, perhaps if we had hired someone with the correct background, they might be able to have figured this out. However, with the boys from the hood running things, not so sure.

But doesn't Harvard look marvelous, with those state of the art trash cans. And I'm really enjoying the south of the expressway resource center, too.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2010 at 3:17pm
actually, was taken by surprise at the expectation that Fed $ would be required for our municipal sewers/drainage. perhaps that is/has become common - just wasn't aware of it.

i get that infrastructure improvements are enormously expensive (homeowners certainly can identify) but not sure how many towns/cities/regions the Fed can afford.
can o' worms.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2010 at 3:32pm
edit: moved to: storms/ComED

Edited by citizen - 11/August/2010 at 3:34pm
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2010 at 5:55pm

actually, was taken by surprise at the expectation that Fed $ would be required for our municipal sewers/drainage. perhaps that is/has become common - just wasn't aware of it.

i get that infrastructure improvements are enormously expensive (homeowners certainly can identify) but not sure how many towns/cities/regions the Fed can afford.

can o' worms.

This is actually the kind of things that "stimulus" money should have been spent on, instead of bailing out state governments. It wouldn't have done much for long-term employment, either, but at least we'd have gotten decent sewers out of it.

How was the wedding?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2010 at 10:13pm
wedding was seriously wonderful. a gorgeous blend of traditional, elegant and moderate - home reception for 200 people. their dance floor has been recycled to be my sister's roof/my deck, and i'm loving that. 
told them they had achieved all their objectives :)

Edited by citizen - 14/August/2010 at 10:17pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2010 at 12:29pm
well, we're going to re-carpet the basement; i'm trusting our waterproofing and giving our odd weather pattern one more chance. luck to me, eh?

2 things:
1) read thru the FEMA forms at the village website. very mixed feelings on that but glad to see they stressed serious and devastating damage.
2) but pakistan has flooded and russia is burning so giving the carpeting maybe 50/50 chance of surviving for five years.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2010 at 12:37pm
Citizen, why not just paint the floor and get area rugs. That way you can roll them up in an emergency.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2010 at 12:55pm
1) it's not my basement but my sister's, and she likes it carpeted.
2) feeling pissy that the very expensive waterproofing failed - i want my money's worth. (serious illogic :)
3) will let state farm pick up most of the cost - this time.

everything points to extreme weather via climate change, so i'm pissy about that, about 'every home is unique,' about insufficient local and regional drainage and the FEMA push, too.
i'm going to rage against the uncontrollable by buying new carpet. see? LOL

Edited by citizen - 21/August/2010 at 12:56pm
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2010 at 4:10pm

2) feeling pissy that the very expensive waterproofing failed - i want my money's worth. (serious illogic :)

How do you know it failed?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2010 at 9:21pm
cause i got water in the basement via the overflowing sump pump.
i think i've discovered the weakness, and it was theirs. what's the first rule? get the water away from the house.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/August/2010 at 12:45am
Oh I thought you didn't know the source of the water.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/August/2010 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

Oh I thought you didn't know the source of the water.
that was probably my coach house, but water dude said sewer back-up there.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2011 at 7:11am
The Forest Parkers against Flooding Facebook page is active again.

If yesterday's rains are an omen, it's gonna be a looooooooooong summer.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/June/2011 at 10:48pm
10 Simple rules to coexist with older house's plumbing systems.
(from 30+ years of dealing with FoPa sewers)

1. Have your main sewer line COMPLETELY checked and rodded out.
Annually is best until you've completed steps 2-10.
2. Once your main line is clear, treat the line with Copper Sulfate
to discourage new root growth.
3. Do NOT use powdered detergents for laundry or dishwasher. The undissolved powder WILL accumlate and harden on roots.
4. Switch to basic toilet paper, single ply.
5. Even if a product advertises itself as "Flushable" DON'T flush it!
Maybe with modern plastic sewer pipes, it will travel easily, but not through old clay piping.
6. Disconnect your downspouts from the sewer system and cover/plug the holes.
7. Make sure the perimeter around your foundation is graded (sloped) AWAY from the building.
8. Seal the foundation/grade joint with roofing cement if the area is hardscaped (concrete, brick, blacktop)
9. Install one-way valves or standpipes in basement floor drains.
10. Build and maintain a shrine to Saint Florian

backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2011 at 9:04am

Neptune

Edited by backman - 02/June/2011 at 9:04am
backman
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/June/2011 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

Neptune

Only if it's REALLY ancient plumbing.

bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/June/2011 at 7:12am
Ok, what about Saint  " Bruno"?  :)  WAIT, have to give him a few years to get out of jail, I thought he got stuck with some time on his hands.. L0L...BCB...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2011 at 8:12pm
Spoke with some people over the weekend. Seems like a lot of people got water from this past week's rain. And yes, it was a big rain, but should not have been flooding people's basements. What is going on in this village? Maybe less festing and more infrastructure.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2011 at 9:46pm
People flooded in Berwyn, too... Many AFTER the storm, curiously enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>