Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Flood Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Same Sewers; Different Year...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Same Sewers; Different Year...
    Posted: 24/July/2010 at 5:42am
Anybody else get water in their basement again?
steveg View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 9:32am
Katie,

We did this time. Com Ed crapping out at 2 AM and all that rain did not make for a happy camperDead

Fortunately with battery back ups, we didnt have that much, we were lucky compared to some other folks-look at Westchester.

Edited by steveg - 24/July/2010 at 12:03pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 9:52am
Yes, same show as June 23; one month to the day. Came up through the floor drains, the shower and I think the toilet (not sure as I just looked in the bathroom this morning and walked away). We have standing water everywhere down there.

Just watched the weather and it's not supposed to end til after midnight tonight. We're gonna move what we can to the drains and not clean til tomorrow.

The real piss off is that we JUST got the basement back together; painted, new rugs, the saved rugs back from the rug cleaner, tables back in place, etc. And then that storm.

I saw in Westchester they have people stranded in their homes it's so bad there.
rdscaf View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdscaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 11:26am
The Desplanes at Riverside is 50% over the previoud max!  Look at the graph w/ stats.

Addison Creek at Belwood.

Edited by rdscaf - 24/July/2010 at 11:35am
Just howl'n at the moon!
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 12:01pm
Same thing for us, Pie. Were just settling back in to "normal" when we had an in-home pool again. Fortunately, college aged child had just gone to bed, so he went down to check and found the water coming in at 4 this morning. We were able to get what little had gone back on the floor back up and tried to stay on top of it as best as we could. Neighbors across the alley had 5 more inches than we did (why?) and their phone is out. Well, back to damage control.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 12:01pm
water in coach house; 4-5 inches.
my house, which is completely drain-tiled, the sump pump overflowed.

my neighbors have flooded too. hear same from oak park, broadview, oakbrook. yikes.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 12:07pm
I heard Roosevelt at Mannheim was 3' deep!

This morning trying to find a place for breakfast (had to get out), saw lots of water getting pumped out from basements. Ran into Rory Hoskins; he had some water in his basement too(but he's a southsider like me).

Before last month we had not flooded in the 20 years I've owned here. When they re-did Harvard/Jackson why didn't they put the LARGEST intake pipes available. Seems we are having 100 year storms every month now.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 12:18pm
is anyone's basement water draining??? mine is not.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 12:27pm
Citizen, I've seen lots of people with siphoning systems set up with garden hoses. That may be the only way.

Also saw Tim Stefl making a Saturday house call south of Roosevelt this AM. Problems everywhere.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 12:47pm
i meant naturally draining - as in the drain sewers were somewhat working. eh?
demo View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 1:35pm
Got a sump pump at Home Depot early this morning. Rigged it up. Maybe pumped an inch of water out of the basement by which time water had naturally drained almost everything else. (Had started with about 5" when I got up this morning.)

I'm between 290 and Roosevelt.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 1:53pm
Citizen, all the water that came up through my floor drains also went down my floor drains, as well as whatever went to the sump pump which was working like crazy.

Only bright spot was trying a new place for breakfast (for us). Tried Andrea's and they had no power; tried Harrison Street and they were jammed. So we went to the Depot on Roosevelt, east of Austin. 2 thumbs up! Diners, Drive-ins and Dives has even been there. Reasonably priced as well. Might go back tomorrow.

Edited by piehead - 24/July/2010 at 2:17pm
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 7:13pm
Finally got an "Emergency" call from the Village.. Be on the lookout for Contractors stopping by to "Help" with the Flooded basements.. I Guess the Village has a "Special" ID for True Contractors..

If anyone gets a Free Visit from a Contractor about Flooding  Contact the Village of Forest Park..    BCB...

p.s. the Finally got a call from the village comment was meant , "for all these years I got 1 Call for something,"  
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 10:32pm
Ended up getting up at 7 AM, had about 6-7 inches in the basement with no power....it ended going up to about 9-10 inches....then when the power came back on, it pumped out and drained out through the floor drains.

I am now an expert in getting a hot water heater with a sealed burner out, dried out, put back in, take it out, put back in, and then figure out how to keep it going as the moisture is still in there. It's up and working again.

Missed the family reunion in St. Charles today, we tried to get out there at 1:30, ended up taking Washington, it was just a lake at 25th street, came back home, and that took about an hour and a half to get that far and back.
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 12:02am
Left my house at 4 am after calling all my neighbors(sorry, citizen for the crazy message). I went to help the other half with his house in Melrose. Crazy flooding on every street getting there. I am somewhat lucky, 2' of water but I learned my lesson and have most of my basement stuff up high. Still worried about the furnaces and water heater. Gonna try to sleep after 2 days awake! Hope you all are well.
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 12:06am
Pie - I am at Marengo/Jackson. NEVER flooded in the 11 years I have been here until my alley was "fixed".

Edited by harp10 - 25/July/2010 at 12:10am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 8:09am

that was a corker, eh?

thanks for the call, harp, just listened to it. we all slept thru the flooding.
btw, i really don't use my home phone except for faxes so...remember that pkg ticket i received on cruise nights? turns out the PD actually left a message on my home phone alerting me to situation and giving me a shot at moving my car. thanks much, PD :)
not sure how they got my home # but i'll try and get village my cell# on monday - for alerts, etc.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 8:19am
Originally posted by harp10 harp10 wrote:

Pie - I am at Marengo/Jackson. NEVER flooded in the 11 years I have been here until my alley was "fixed".
i'm preemptively asking the 'Village' to give a little slack here on FPF as folks try and figure out why their homes are flooding and how to solve the problem, i.e. no crabbing about the provocateurs and innuendo. and feel free to join the discussion.

the coach house never took water till the year our alley was redone - same year as yours, harp. that year it was seepage and a tiny bit around the capped sewer.
yesterday water flooded in via the shower drain (we think) and still hasn't drained via the now uncapped drain.
otoh, it took no water in the storms 4 weeks ago.

how to make sense?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 8:59am

Driving around yesterday saw a few of the 'fixed' alleys....they all looked flooded to me.

I just have zero incentive today to finish the clean up procedure for our basement. I don't wanna mop the floors with bleach and then dry everything so we can put our rugs and tables back in place. I'm tired of cleaning up flood messes.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 9:03am

who wasn't at peaslee's yesterday :) the stories!

'heard' the condo complex at randolph/marengo had their underground pkg flooded and all the cars are totaled. unconfirmed.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 9:14am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Driving around yesterday saw a few of the 'fixed' alleys....they all looked flooded to me.
the 'new' alleys were really only new surfaces; no infrastructure (sewer) was added.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 9:16am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

who wasn't at peaslee's yesterday :) the stories!

'heard' the condo complex at randolph/marengo had their underground pkg flooded and all the cars are totaled. unconfirmed.

Wow, that would really be unfortunate. Last flood there was the story about the Cherryfield house South of Roosevelt that had the same thing happen.

When we get 7" of rain overnight, I think things like this are going to happen. Last night when I went to my ex's in Brookfield, the bank of Salt Creek had overflowed.....at 4:30 in the afternoon it was fine, then at 9 P.M. Prairie and Washington were about 5' under water. She lives 1 block South of 31st street, two blocks West of Prairie and the water was almost at her street, but it was just draining into the storm drains.

Poor people. The streets were all closed off.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 9:37am
one of the questions i'm struggling with: is our severe weather just a two-off in one month, or is this a new norm?
the climate change experts point to 'severe weather' as a major symptom.
it certainly matters as to how we (individually & collectively) deal w/the flooding.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 10:29am
Well, considering there were no floods last year, and if you recall, we had the 2nd coldest summer on record (if memory serves me right), I would say that this is not the new norm but a fluke.

There is always going to be a constant climate change either up or down, there is always going to be a 5 year storm, 10 year storm, 50 year storm and the big one.....the one that statistically happens only once in 100 years. I'm sure that one is a lot more than 7.5" of rain in 12 hours. I'm going to say that one is going to be more like 15".

It's like the snow of 67? or 1979......doesn't happen every year. But it will happen.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 11:02am
guess i'm struck by the # of folks, since rains of sept 2008, who have flooded 'for the first time ever.' thousands upon thousands all over chgo area. not sure what to do w/that.

more rain? poor infrastructure? it won't happen again?
what's a homeowner to do? what are the insurance co's going to do?

KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 11:10am
I suspect we'll see an increase in the sale of flood insurance.  For all the talk about health insurance, flood insurance is an area in need of reform.  It's completely socialized, and as a result, people who live in flood plains have an easier time getting flood coverage than people who don't live in flood plains (none of the residential part of Forest Park is technically "in a flood plain")  As a result, most people don't have flood insurance.  Unlike previous floods (2008, 2006, 1987), this one is occurring deep into a very deep recession, so the ability of people to recover from uninsured damage is that much less.

As for the flooded condo garage, I think the cars would be covered by the owners' comprehensive insurance. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 11:51am
Maybe you can't get 'flood' insurance but you can certainly add 'sewer back up and sump pump failure' coverage. That's an add-on I have on mine for $5,000 coverage. It costs me $90 a year. And as I have replacement cost coverage, it doesn't depreciate the cost of the stuff ruined.

I grew up in a house that took water so when we moved here, I didn't think it weird to have my washer/dryer up out of harm's way; same with furnace and hot water heaters. They are all raised 6" off the floor level. June 23 and July 23, it was a good choice!

As far as these 100 year storms, they sure seem to be happening all at once. Thinking about a stilt house about now!

Edited by piehead - 25/July/2010 at 11:52am
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 11:56am
Will you be buying sandbags on August 22?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 12:06pm
Thinking of digging a trench around the house. I hope this doesn't come again any time soon. I'm too old for this sh*t.

If cars did get ruined by the flood at the Madison building, even with comprehensive it still has to be a major pain in the rump.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2010 at 2:37pm
i don't believe any of FP technically 'flooded.' instead we are victims of alotta rain and the municipal/regional drainage system that backed up/seeped into our properties.
i think :)

can't speak for westchester, bellville, salt creek/brookfield, the Ike.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>