Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So I guess Subway's the best we could get???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So I guess Subway's the best we could get???
    Posted: 15/September/2010 at 4:15pm
At the corner of Madison/Circle? After all this time, that's the best food enterprise that came down the pike? Wow, maybe we could put a Quizno where the Oyster place was or better yet where the doggie hotel was. That way we can have mediocre sandwiches available almost any where at that intersection.

Too bad, was thinking with the owner holding out for something appropriate (I think that's what he said in a Review article), just surprised with Mr. Patel's Subway being the winner.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2010 at 8:55pm
ahem. the economy is not making a rapid recovery.
if you have not been downsized lately...declared bankruptcy because your small business failed...six applicants for every job opening...
not sexy but, yes, i think it was the best we could do.

Edited by citizen - 15/September/2010 at 8:56pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/September/2010 at 8:27am
pie, sorry for my snippy response.
actually, i had the same initial response - not exactly what we'd like for such a prominent corner but the fast fooders are doing well these days. see: mcdonald's.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/September/2010 at 9:12am
Yeah, but at least McDonald's has a half way decent fast grab breakfast (and I like their iced coffee). Subway just doesn't do it for me. You are hungry 3 minutes later (the bread is all fluff and the meats are minimal). Too bad a place like Apline Deli (on North Ave) couldn't make it there.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/September/2010 at 5:36pm
Now that's an unfair comparison (Alpine) piehead!  :-D

Love that place.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/September/2010 at 8:30pm
Love that place as well Arne. They make the best potato salad.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2010 at 9:43am
Ohh cmon Forest Park needed a 4th Subway.Thumbs Down
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2010 at 11:23am
Their site shows there's one at 1215 s. Harlem. Where is that one? In that new strip mall???

Yep, the one on Madison makes it 4 in FP. But it stated in the article that the new one is owned by Mr. Patel who already has some in OP. So I'm sure it will be better...haha...OP after all!

Subway could have 12 and I probably still wouldn't be going to any of them. There's one right next to where I work. Been there once to get a sandwich for a boss.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2010 at 12:42am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Their site shows there's one at 1215 s. Harlem. Where is that one? In that new strip mall???

Yes, ma'am.   Odd because there's one on Roosevelt just past Oak Park Ave!
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
justaparker View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2010 at 1:01am
Subway's are popping up all over because they offer a "healthy" sandwich. Most of the clientele are looking for a healthy lunch or dinner as a substitute to fast food. Subway would do a good business on every corner next to any fast food place as they have proved. Pie, maybe you should give them a try. It may be better than what your eating..... just saying.....
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2010 at 7:06am
Originally posted by justaparker justaparker wrote:

Subway would do a good business on every corner next to any fast food place as they have proved.

True.  I'm sure HQ does their research before green-lighting new stores. 
There's enough traffic on both Roosevelt and Harlem for stores to service each individually.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2010 at 8:36am
To Justa, I'm sure it's not better than what I'm eating. I pack my lunch most every day so my stuff is all very healthy.

I have tried Subway and just not very impressed with their sandwiches. I prefer potbellys or even jimmy johns (if I'm going chain) over subway. JMO, I realize a lot of people like them.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2010 at 9:38am

Subway's are popping up all over because they offer a "healthy" sandwich. Most of the clientele are looking for a healthy lunch or dinner as a substitute to fast food. Subway would do a good business on every corner next to any fast food place as they have proved. Pie, maybe you should give them a try. It may be better than what your eating..... just saying.....

Subway's are popping up all over because they offer affordable franchises.
Start-up costs are far lower (~$100K) than other fast food options.
Because their corporate emphasis is expansion, they do not "protect" territories.

There is an element of MLM in the Subway model. Few operators can survive on one location, which aids the expansion model and there is an active resale/turnover rate for the industry's equivalent of "flippers".

So far they have outpaced their difficulties. When the expansion slows, its corporate problems will likely catch up.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
justaparker View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2010 at 6:33pm
In the mean time there are jobs for people and added revenue for towns.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2010 at 7:16pm

A strip club on Circle is in order.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2010 at 7:35pm
Arne you need to get laid..soon.
FOCUS !!
FP Property Owner View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP Property Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

A strip club on Circle is in order.

That being said.  Subway for the downtown is great as it should bring traffic.  And if X % of the people who stop in Subway for carry out, catering, lunch etc etc then stop in another store at some point that they notice while parking it will strengthen the business community as a whole in my mind.  

Edited by FP Property Owner - 29/October/2010 at 5:14pm
FP Property Owner
 Post Reply Post Reply