Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Al's Pizzeria & Restaurant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al's Pizzeria & Restaurant
    Posted: 22/September/2010 at 12:34pm
Got a flyer on our door yesterday for Al's Pizzeria in Cicero.

Tuesday's special is 1/2 fried chicken or 1/2 BBQ chicken for $5.25 (with salad and potato or pasta). So we didn't have anything in mind for supper so we gave them a try.

I had the BBQ; other half the fried. They were both good.

We will be calling them again as they deliver (at least to the south side of Forest Park) to Forest Park.

Perhaps we'll give their pizza a try; it used to be pretty darn good.

Just never realized they would come as far as FP.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2010 at 12:45pm
Pie, I used to order Al's and my recollection was that it was pretty good.  However, we followed up that flier by ordering a pizza and calzone last night after a grueling day.  The pizza was fine.  Cardboard-y, bland crust with a sweet sauce.  Not remarkable but not truly offensive.  The calzone, however, was horrid.  Soggy, low grade cheese (either different from the pizza or enough of it to notice), canned mushrooms and missing the ordered pepperoni.  Hope you have better luck.

Probably never again.  Oh, but I wish villa nova delivered here.   

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2010 at 1:09pm
Oh yes, Villa Nova is the best. However, their pizza just doesn't travel well. It's so thin that it cools off too fast.

FP needs a GOOD pizza parlor. Where we can go and have a pizza and a beer; kind of like Ledo's in LaGrange.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2010 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Oh yes, Villa Nova is the best. However, their pizza just doesn't travel well. It's so thin that it cools off too fast.

That nails it - Villa Nova doesn't travel well, sometimes even up to the north side of Berwyn (trains don't help that).

N6 - I was told a long time ago that Al's pizza in house is great, yet take out for some reason is never the same.  And to date, that statement holds true.  I've had delicious pizza eating in, rarely upon take out/delivery.

I've also had their horrible calzone.  It's unbelievable, as if they don't know how to make it!

Al's is best IMO for their dishes.  Great Vesuvio, killer chicken "Pompeii" (prosciutto/provolone), and some good pasta dishes.  We get those regularly.

Edited by arneharris - 12/December/2010 at 6:38pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2010 at 12:57pm
Piehead, I could not agree more re: FP's dire need for a quality pizza and beer place.  If only Piece would open a satellite location. 

Arne, Jimmy's has the gold standard for vesuvio for our household though perhaps we should try Al's as well.  And their thin crust wasn't bad either.  We just make such fine pizza at home it is unlikely that we'll order it in most places. 
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2010 at 1:48pm
Jimmy's?  we'll have to check it out.  The wife is the vesuvio/garlic FREAK and Al's almost makes me pass out, like her other fav - chicken de jonghe (sp) at Golden Steer (dine in or take out - has a ½" of garlic on top).

The Berwyn area has some pizza/beer joints, though they're usually only good at one or the other LOL
(Michael Anthony's, Al's, Salerno's ... and coming up Paisan's gigantic place on Ogden).

Garv Inn / Giovanni's does both pretty good.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2010 at 4:22pm
Garv Inn/Giovanni's is working pretty good for us lately.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2010 at 9:39pm
Cannot wait for the Hibachi/Chinese Buffett to open !!
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

What? and Where? is this place
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/December/2010 at 7:27am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

What? and Where? is this place

OCB at the FP Mall. Between the Bookstore and Quiznos. They put the big sign on the facade this week.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/December/2010 at 8:40am
Oh, I guess I won't be going there then. A buffet at the mall is not appealing to me.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/December/2010 at 10:55pm
Cannot know til you actually try it good eats are often in the least favorite spots.
FOCUS !!
 Post Reply Post Reply