Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The storm coming in!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

Just got the 411 from my neighbors. Apparently Hosty's alley was cleared this morning and a couple people passing by Calderone's allege he had a truck and people from Dist 91 clearing his drive. Fortunately for the Mayor these folks were not camera phone people.
Surprised; not! Wonder if Curry's was cleaned real purdy too?

After receiving another robo message and the press release from the Mayor, I guess Hosty's alley must be pretty special as the alleys were not to be cleared til all the streets were done (at least according to the Mayor's posturing).

"winter storm update!

For Immediate Release                                                                  Contact: Mayor Anthony Calderone
Date: 02/02/2011      
Phone: 708-615-6200

The Public Works department is working 24/7 to clear all roads. That is their number one priority. They will focus on the alleys after the streets have been cleared and the sidewalks will get their attention last. The snow routes will remain in effect until Saturday morning unless we experience additional snowfall.    After which we are asking folks to relocate their vehicles to the snow route side of the street so public works can then clear that side of the road. Allied Waste has cancelled trash pickup for Thursday and postponed it until Friday. Your village hall, police department, fire department, building department and community center are open for business."

Edited by piehead - 02/February/2011 at 7:21pm
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2011 at 7:27pm
Pie? Is that a one gallon GAS can I see next to your garage? Hmmm?
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2011 at 7:36pm
My neighbor who was plowing a path to the corner (notice the straight down part past my parking pad). He was doing the middle of the alley. He ran out of gas and went to his house and brought the can to refill. He put it on my apron out of the way.

My snowthrower is in the garage. My snowthrower operator is down with the flu today :(
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2011 at 8:01pm
i'd like to mention that everyone moving snow needs to be thoughtful of where the snow goes and who will have to clean up after you.
i'm watching a neighbor snowblowing his snow onto adams - covering the whole freaking expanse of adams.
and the village folks, too - somehow you managed to fling the street snow over a 3'H x 7'W expanse to dump about 6" of snow that completely covers the newly shoveled (village) sidewalk. c'mon.

also i have no idea what the recent village message means - come saturday morning we should move our cars to the street so they can do the alleys. do what to the alleys?
i talked to VH today and they said they were done plowing the alleys and residents could therefore shovel out their cars.

i know this is a BIG snow but we all need to be considerate.
and get off my lawn! LOL

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2011 at 8:04pm
I guess they aren't doing the sidewalks this storm. Therefore, I've had to become a street walker
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

I guess they aren't doing the sidewalks this storm. Therefore, I've had to become a street walker
a middle-of-the-street walker, to boot :)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2011 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

a middle-of-the-street walker, to boot :)
Naw, I don't want to get killed. I walk against traffic as close to the curb as feasible.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2011 at 10:25am
Noticed this morning that although the village has not plowed the sidewalks on Circle Avenue (a major walkway), it sure did look like Hosty's side of the street on Warren was done. I haven't been by but I'd also guess that Jackson was done near the mayor's home as well.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2011 at 10:31am
I think it's important to give credit where it's due.  I commend the village for taking care of the Circle Ave sidewalks by the Blue Line.  That must have been hard but they made it a priority for all us commuters and it is very much appreciated in what must be a nerve wracking time. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2011 at 10:49am
Yes, the bridge being cleared by end of day yesterday was a huge help. Otherwise, some idiot would probably hit us as we're walking! But it ends abruptly at the bottom of the bridge. Then we're back to walking in the street.

I'm surprised the bobcat could do it.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2011 at 11:23am
They didn't use a Bobcat. Used a big front end loader and dumped it into trucks and hauled away. Started at 9 a.m., done by noon. 
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2011 at 11:48am
That esplains it then. I didn't think that bobcat could move all that snow!!!!
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2011 at 12:22pm
The bobcat is clearing our sidewalks over in this part of town. Yipee!
Clap
Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2011 at 9:05am
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

The bobcat is clearing our sidewalks over in this part of town. Yipee!Clap
Did you move? They haven't done any on my street or the one adjacent to it as of Saturday morning.

You must be special or maybe it's because the P.W. Director lives on your street.
Mayor Calderone View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Calderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2011 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

Just got the 411 from my neighbors. Apparently Hosty's alley was cleared this morning and a couple people passing by Calderone's allege he had a truck and people from Dist 91 clearing his drive. Fortunately for the Mayor these folks were not camera phone people.

Another excellent soapbox topic by the Backman himself.

Yes I do have a brother who works for District 91 and who was on call Tuesday night into Wednesday and was driving a marked school owned van and it was parked on Jackson Blvd.

When my brother was over at my house this previous Sunday we talked about the impending storm. I offered for him to stay at my house Tuesday night in case he was called into work since he lives in Plainfield. He agreed.

As we all know we woke up Wednesday morning to plenty of snow to move.

While my brother shoveled out his truck because it was snowed in, my son Gus and myself operated the 2 snow blowers that I personally own ( 1 single stage and 1 two stage ) and fully cleared my drive way and the public sidewalk along my house on Jackson as well as Thomas. The job took about 3 hours.

My sidewalks are all the way down to the concrete as well as my driveway, Does this qualify me and my son for jobs with District 91?

I suppose you cannot alway recognize me with a Carthart jacket and wool hat.
Mayor Anthony T. Calderone

Serving the Residents and the Village of Forest Park since 1999
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2011 at 11:00pm
tony,
from your tone it appears you are insulted that folks might think you would use various village resources for your personal use.
meh. goes w/your complicated territory, don't you think?

your brother works for D91? what is his position there?
also, was hosty's alley plowed early? if so, what was the rationale?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 8:12am

Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

The bobcat is clearing our sidewalks over in this part of town. Yipee!Clap
Did you move? They haven't done any on my street or the one adjacent to it as of Saturday morning.

You must be special or maybe it's because the P.W. Director lives on your street.

Sunday morning now...last time I saw a bobcat (Saturday afternoon) he was clearing Jackson Boulevard. I don't think they will be on the southside til Spring. We've cleared our (well as of last night but with the new snow not yet) village owned sidewalks but most no one else has so it's streetwalker til Spring. FYI - getting around the lovely village bumpouts makes it quite treacherous on foot or in a car (making a turn for a car or just walking for a pedestrian).

Edited by piehead - 06/February/2011 at 8:13am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 8:15am
P.S. I believe that Calderone's 'signature' should be changed from "Mayor Anthony T. Calderone
Serving the Residents and the Village of Forest Park since 1999"

to something a little more truthful.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 9:36am
probably a village status update is in order?
there are street plows out now for the new snow and there were plows yesterday clearing some of those huge bumpouts.
i have no idea about the sidewalks.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Mayor Calderone Mayor Calderone wrote:

Another excellent soapbox topic by the Backman himself.
Yes I do have a brother who works for District 91 and who was on call Tuesday night into Wednesday and was driving a marked school owned van and it was parked on Jackson Blvd.

When my brother was over at my house this previous Sunday we talked about the impending storm. I offered for him to stay at my house Tuesday night in case he was called into work since he lives in Plainfield. He agreed.

As we all know we woke up Wednesday morning to plenty of snow to move.

While my brother shoveled out his truck because it was snowed in, my son Gus and myself operated the 2 snow blowers that I personally own ( 1 single stage and 1 two stage ) and fully cleared my drive way and the public sidewalk along my house on Jackson as well as Thomas. The job took about 3 hours.

My sidewalks are all the way down to the concrete as well as my driveway, Does this qualify me and my son for jobs with District 91?

I suppose you cannot alway recognize me with a Carthart jacket and wool hat.

Not guilty! Easy with an explanation. eh? The same mistake was made by Chuck Goudie on Channel 7 regarding certain city wards.

Not all appearances of impropriety are improper. But one improperly assigned improperness doesn't exonerate them all.

Like picking and choosing which questions to answer doesn't make for transparency.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 11:19am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

responding to [QUOTE=Mayor Calderone]

Like picking and choosing which questions to answer doesn't make for transparency.
BINGO. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 6:06pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 9:48pm
Yep, Roosevelt and the entire south end of town....forgotten!
justaparker View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2011 at 10:20pm
Yep! Record snow! And the pic shows what?????? SNOW??????
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2011 at 6:23am
Originally posted by justaparker justaparker wrote:

Yep! Record snow! And the pic shows what?????? SNOW??????

No, what the picture shows is a HEAVILY traveled pedestrian way completely blocked, forcing said pedestrians to walk around the pile ON TO Roosevelt Rd (through large slush puddles).

The snow that is blocking the sidewalk didn't fall there, it was PLOWED there.

Edited by watcher - 07/February/2011 at 6:23am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2011 at 9:49am
must say, we do seem rather 'auto centric' in our plowing habits - for an urban burb.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2011 at 9:58am
justa must reside on one of the streets where the sidewalks were plowed. Yep, it's pretty crappy walking on the southside of the village these days. Gotta be careful around all those stupid 'bumpouts' (as you're forced to literally walk in front of a car to get around) and all the stupid drivers that don't watch for pedestrians.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2011 at 4:24pm
4:23pm
what is that white stuff outside my window? yes, falling from above and down to the ground.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2011 at 5:23pm
I'm going to just close my eyes, click my boots together three times and when I open my eyes, our garden will be green and blooming and .... s**t!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2011 at 6:17pm
fyi southsiders, late this afternoon the bobcat cleared 400-500 marengo sidewalks for the first time. most were already owner-cleared but not all.
i have no idea how many bobcats we have...but we're getting there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>