Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > General Local Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St. Paddy's Day Parade Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St. Paddy's Day Parade Impressions
    Posted: 07/March/2011 at 6:50am
Snow! Boo.
but then again, far more pleasant than a steady cold rain or drizzle.

Lots and lots of people streaming from the Blue and Green lines.

Gobs and gobs of candy tossed to the crowds.

The Matt Walsh group was HIGH energy.

The KofC marchers behind the B96 mobile blaster van were
getting into the beat.

The Hosty trolley was EMPTY?

I didn't see Dan Haley with the Review's Wagon.

Lawn Mower drill team are funny.

The clean-up crews did yet another AMAZING, efficient job. Thanks!
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2011 at 6:53am
A random conversation with a young dad during the parade....

"Forest Park is a much better place to drink than live. If I were 22 and right out of college looking to drink it up on the weekends I would definitely consider Forest Park."

Mom speaks up...
"There are also some cute shops along Madison, I just think Oak Park is a better place to live and raise a family."

So...When you achieve the "brand" you've carefully cultivated; that Madison Street IS FoPa, that north of the Ike is good, but the rest is sub-par. That the grade schools are a problem. And that throwing bashes for out-of-towners trumps infrastructure and community needs...

After 12 years, you really don't have anything to brag on except that facade....

Welcome to Shallow Town.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
greatauntoftriplets View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2011 at 8:55pm
I live north of the Ike, even north of Madison.  For me is came down to primarily a matter of the commute since I work in Skokie.  And there is no good way to get from FoPa to Skokie.  On a good morning, my commute is 45 - 50 minutes.  On a good night, it's 60 minutes coming back home.

I was looking for a condo in an elevator building with protected parking. I found it here.

I did look at a couple of units in that complex (with the orange buildings) in the 1000 block of DesPlaines.  It came down to the commute.  Figured I'd add 10 minutes to the drive to and from work from down there.  Plus there was the fact that, in my late 50s, I didn't want my views from where I lived to be of Forest Home Cemetery. 
Round the world, the truth will echo.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2011 at 9:03pm
A buddy of mine commutes from FP to Evanston every day. He's not having fun (his company just moved from the loop there). Crazy commutes! I'm lucky; my office is within 4 blocks of the el downtown.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2011 at 10:00pm
i moved here for:
1) the house i bought
2) my kids were out of school
3) the live/let live attitude (LOL. ) yeah, missed that by a few years.

Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2011 at 10:43am
Your friend knows exactly what a long drive it is, then. 

A friend of mine has suggested (tongue in cheek) that I charter an ambulance to ferry me to and from the office -- running hot and with liquor service.  Sounds great!

I moved to FoPa from the far north side of the city because my immediate family was all in Berwyn or Brookfield.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by greatauntoftriplets greatauntoftriplets wrote:

A friend of mine has suggested (tongue in cheek) that I charter an ambulance to ferry me to and from the office -- running hot and with liquor service.  Sounds great!

I moved to FoPa from the far north side of the city because my immediate family was all in Berwyn or Brookfield.

Trying to figure out what this has to do with St. Paddy's day, but what the heck...

That particular circle of commuter hell has been known since the days of Daley the 1st and the much maligned Crosstown Expressway days. The planning and planners way back when envisioned a much less vehicle-dependent transit oriented society. The abandoned mass-transit components that would have extended to, and influenced development patterns were euthanized by short-sighted suburban protectionists.

I freely admit that this is a stretch, but we sure could use a modern day St. Paddy to drive the snakes out of the decision-makers' cult.

Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Originally posted by greatauntoftriplets greatauntoftriplets wrote:

Trying to figure out what this has to do with St. Paddy's day, but what the heck...

That particular circle of commuter hell has been known since the days of Daley the 1st and the much maligned Crosstown Expressway days. The planning and planners way back when envisioned a much less vehicle-dependent transit oriented society. The abandoned mass-transit components that would have extended to, and influenced development patterns were euthanized by short-sighted suburban protectionists.

I freely admit that this is a stretch, but we sure could use a modern day St. Paddy to drive the snakes out of the decision-makers' cult.

Nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day except for your comment about Forest Park being about Madison  Street.  In fact, I rarely go there except to the bank to get quarters for the laundry room.
mcc11706 View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcc11706 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2011 at 8:15pm
We missed the parade this year.  If we had kids, we'd have to leave Forest Park due to financial reasons, sadly.  Let's hope that never happens.  I like it here!
"Draggin' the line..."
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2011 at 8:18pm
So do I mcc; been here since '78. It's home!
 Post Reply Post Reply