Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Local Schools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$60,000 raise in 1 year !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omg2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $60,000 raise in 1 year !!!
    Posted: 30/March/2011 at 8:13am
according to http://www.familytaxpayers.org/

2008   Brophy Edward    $63,297.00
2009    Brophy Edward    $115,894.00

IS THIS AMAZING OR WHAT SOMEONE SHOULD ASK THE SCHOOL BOARD HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN.

I just paid my tax bill and cant believe how much is going to dist 91. Who approved this and why wasn't this in the review
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 9:10am
While I agree that it's a lot of money. I'm glad to see the district promote from within. The salary reflects several things. First is Mr. Brophy earned a $63,297 salary as a teacher in 2008. In 2009 he moved up to be Assistant Superintendent of Operations, which requires additional education and certification.

The disclosure of school salaries is mandated. The numbers can be jolting, but it is important to note that the figures posted are often salary and benefits combined. I don't know if that is the case in Dist. 91, but before slamming a guy for getting a big promotion (as opposed to a big raise), you might want to check.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
demo View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 9:27am
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 9:43am
This is where a bit of detail and context is important, as Watcher showed.

The "raise," while quite large, reflects not even a promotion within a job category, but an entirely different job.

I'm reasonably familiar with salaries for these positions, and Brophy's pay is at the lower end of the scale. It's an important job, requiring strong skill sets. 

OMG should be more concerned with end of career bumps of 20 percent- now illegal, I believe- for pension purposes. 

And 10 percent bumps for unqualified village administrators. 

Edited by Dunlop Man - 30/March/2011 at 9:44am
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
FP Property Owner View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP Property Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 11:24am
How does his salary compare to the same position in Say Oak Park or Evanston?  
FP Property Owner
omg2011 View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omg2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 1:59pm
since when did we need Assistant Superintendent of Operations. There are less kids in the district then 10-15 years ago and we did not have one then. What did he do or whose job did he take to
DOUBLE HIS SALARY. maybe its time for someone to go and ask the school board 
omg2011 View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omg2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 2:02pm
when was the job posted.  never.  Ed is some how related to Lou and this is no surprise to many. Maybe someone that knows how they are related can post it
FREDDY5811 View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREDDY5811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 11:16pm
The problem with the School Board is that since 2002 they do not  care about the taxpayers or parents. Hiring Tinder in 2001 for 115,385 and He left in 2007 at 191,731. Nice  Bonus. Cavallo hired 2008 at 182,119
2010 is now 201,743. 2011 ???? Dist. 91 is in the top 200 school districts in the state on what they pay the Superintendent.Westchester School Dist. same size as Forest Park salary for 2010 was 144,900,
Berkeley with 3,000 students salary 172,185. Nobody is watching what is going on in the District. 40% of our tax bill goes to the District ,which
makes it hard to keep up with them.
lurker View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2011 at 11:26pm
Freddy you say it all!!!!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 7:58am
Originally posted by FREDDY5811 FREDDY5811 wrote:

The problem with the School Board is that since 2002

Got a source for these numbers? Particularly the Tinder numbers.

If there's three apples and you take away two, how many apples do you have?

Dr. Jean in Dist 92.5 receives salary and benefits totaling $181,840.72
She is in her third year. Administrative costs in 92.5 are actually higher than 91. More fun with numbers?

Top 200 eh? That would put them squarely in the middle of elementary districts? Did you break the numbers down to "urban" districts of our size?

What happened in 2002 that turned the board against the taxpayers? I mean, that's quite a bomb to drop 4 days before the vote. Pushing for a little anti-incumbent sentiment?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 8:33am
Not saying you don't make some legitimate points, lurker, but you're comparing apples and oranges here. 

Supt. salaries have gotten out of hand. But the original issue was Ed Brophy's pay. It's not out of line for what he does. More importantly, the focus needs to be on what we're getting from him for that salary. 

Answering that questions takes a bit more than logging onto a tax payers website and looking up his salary.

And Freddy? Please, Google "fonts" and "point size." People will listen to you more if you don't startle us with the size of your type.
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 9:01am
If you did your research locally instead of some state-wide database you would know that Cavallo was hired in July, 2007 at a salary of $175,000.  The increase to $182,119 in 2008 was 4% not an unreasonable amount.  The $201,000 is his salary that was just voted on which means that his salary has increased just under 15% over 4 years.  That amounts to about 3.75% per year.  Again not unreasonable.

The referendum in 2002 was passed by the voters.  If you think the voters are really unhappy about the amount of tax dollars going to the elementary school district perhaps you should put another referendum on the ballot to reduce the amount of taxes going to the schools.

As Dunlop Man said this is an obvious, last ditch effort to get John Tricoci, Jr. elected.  While I agree he would make a good school board member, I also agree with the Review that the 3 guys on there now are a known entity doing a great job.

Maybe in 2 years when the terms of Joan Walsh, Mary Win Connor, Mary Turek and Lois Bugasky are up one of them will choose not to run again and a seat will be open for Mr. Tricoci.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 9:06am
Just one comment: I would love to have gotten a 3.75% salary increase every year. In the real world that is not the case or the norm.
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 9:15am
Piehead, I agree that in the corporate world that is not the norm for the average worker.  That's why I said "not unreasonable".  If you had gotten a raise it probably would have been in the 3-4% range.

I would be willing to bet though that the executives of your company got raises and probably nice ones.  But that's a topic for another discussion.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

As Dunlop Man said this is an obvious, last ditch effort to get John Tricoci, Jr. elected. 

Exactly the kind of "transparency" that has to stop.

ENOUGH!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 9:39am

Piehead, I agree that in the corporate world that is not the norm for the average worker.  That's why I said "not unreasonable".  If you had gotten a raise it probably would have been in the 3-4% range.
Our corporation (a Fortune 100 company) average tops out at 3% in the past few years. And that is for exemplary performance reviews.

Return to $60K raise in 1 year discussion. Do not mean to derail this.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

As Dunlop Man said this is an obvious, last ditch effort to get John Tricoci, Jr. elected. 

Exactly the kind of "transparency" that has to stop.

ENOUGH!
Doesn't he have a Calderone relation?
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 9:55am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Our corporation (a Fortune 100 company) average tops out at 3% in the past few years. And that is for exemplary performance reviews.

Return to $60K raise in 1 year discussion. Do not mean to derail this.

Since I'm the kind of rebel who goes off topic Tongue, I'll continue the percentage discussion.  I also have not had a raise in 2 years due to the economy but when they were giving raises to cubicle dwellers like me, 2% was below average, 3% was average and 4% was exemplary.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2011 at 10:45am

Since I'm the kind of rebel who goes off topic Tongue, I'll continue the percentage discussion. I also have not had a raise in 2 years due to the economy but when they were giving raises to cubicle dwellers like me, 2% was below average, 3% was average and 4% was exemplary.

A rebel yell once in a while is not only allowed, but welcomed.

At-will employees (sounds nicer than cube dwellers?)led the compensation charge. Lured by promises of higher wages for forgoing union protections, they realized their desires, briefly. It's been a see-saw battle since supposed government protections against workplace risks were implemented. Union protections weren't as important.

As union contracts came up for renewals, the unions were bludgeoned by the supposed thrift of the non-union markets. Then funny things began happening. For profit health care took over the industry and costs spiraled up. Consolidation, M&As, PPOs HMOs, started driving employment and HR decisions. More work, fewer employees drove productivity numbers up.

Workers have been feeling the demands and pressures for decades now.
At-will employees realize they have less ability to assert worker's rights. Union employees find themselves with representation too amenable to concessions driven by at-will workforce levels. Both groups lose ground.

The pendulum has clearly swung back and there's just not enough union strength to prevent it from going even further to the management side.

The "topic" is misleading. The raise was a promotion out of the rank and file union ranks into the executive ranks. Tying compensation of one to the other is specious at best. Meant to soil, confuse and mislead.

omg2011 View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omg2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 10:02am

In response to your question regarding Mr. Brophy’s salary:

In 2008, when Mr. Brophy was hired, the district had an employed a “Business Coordinator.”  This person was not a credentialed Certified School Business Official (CSBO) and had submitted her intent to retire at the end of that year.  The district also had a Director of Transportation who also was intending to retire at the end of the year.  This person also did not possess certification. 

The board and I made the decision to not replace these two positions but to hire a properly credentialed administrator that could not only perform the low-level duties that these two people performed but also provide fiscal leadership to ensure that the district was not only fiscally responsible with the taxpayer’s money but to also ensure that we would not need to extend dept or ask for another referendum to increase the tax burden on citizens. 

We were very fortunate to find Mr. Brophy who agreed to be hired at nearly half the salary of other school business officials for the one year that the other two employees were still working in the district and then be promoted to assistant superintendent for operations when they retired.  Mr. Brophy not olnly possess the CSBO credential but also and MBA.  His salary is less than the combined salaries of the TWO people he replaced.  He has also saved the district thousands of dollars through smart, creative business strategies.  Through his leadership, the district is positioned to not need to ask task payers for additional dollars - unlike many, many districts in Illinois (including our neighbor to the north).  

In short, the raise was a net zero increase in salaries in the district and due to a change in position – not a huge raise.

I hope this helps to clarify.  If would like to discuss this more, feel free to give me a call.

Lou Cavallo, Ph.D.

Superintendent

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by omg2011 omg2011 wrote:

In response to your question regarding Mr. Brophy’s salary:
In 2008, when Mr. Brophy was hired, the district had an employed a “Business Coordinator.” This person was not a credentialed Certified School Business Official (CSBO) and had submitted her intent to retire at the end of that year. The district also had a Director of Transportation who also was intending to retire at the end of the year. This person also did not possess certification.

The board and I made the decision to not replace these two positions but to hire a properly credentialed administrator that could not only perform the low-level duties that these two people performed but also provide fiscal leadership to ensure that the district was not only fiscally responsible with the taxpayer’s money but to also ensure that we would not need to extend dept or ask for another referendum to increase the tax burden on citizens.

We were very fortunate to find Mr. Brophy who agreed to be hired at nearly half the salary of other school business officials for the one year that the other two employees were still working in the district and then be promoted to assistant superintendent for operations when they retired. Mr. Brophy not olnly possess the CSBO credential but also and MBA. His salary is less than the combined salaries of the TWO people he replaced. He has also saved the district thousands of dollars through smart, creative business strategies. Through his leadership, the district is positioned to not need to ask task payers for additional dollars - unlike many, many districts in Illinois (including our neighbor to the north).

In short, the raise was a net zero increase in salaries in the district and due to a change in position – not a huge raise.

I hope this helps to clarify. If would like to discuss this more, feel free to give me a call.

Lou Cavallo, Ph.D.
Superintendent

So is the Pay Raise now a non-issue?
OMG2011? Were you satisfied with the explanation?

I must say that I'm mostly impressed by the ways Dist. 91 handles its business. The BIG gap in their ways is communication. Sure, there's always an explanation, but AFTER THE FACT and after several(s) people get their shorts in a bunch and scream it as proof that the District is "going down the drain".

I'd still like to know how many students the district gained and lost by the move to grade centers. The community deserves the information and communication that was PROMISED when the change was being approved.
Dr. Cavallo can't say in one breath to "look at the test scores" and in the next, discount those same scores as being inaccurate.

If the only "word" circulating is that families are bailing out in droves, there needs to be SOME communication from the district in response.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 12:39pm

In response to your question regarding Mr. Brophy’s salary

It's been brought to my attention that OMG's post reads as though he IS Dr. Cavallo. As such, people might be confused.

I was initially confused by the post until I realized that OMG2011 was posting the contents of an email reply he/she received FROM Dr. Cavallo.

As if things aren't confusing enough?

So when you are posting forwarded or copy/pasted information, it is always a good idea to make it clear whose work you are posting.

I'd try to edit the original, but it's one of those <word formatting> full posts that would likely explode if I edit it.

Just be aware that OMG2011 is NOT Dr. Cavallo, so he is NOT reponding to himself as the original poster in this topic.

Clear?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 12:46pm
I just hope and pray that Cavallo didn't type the letter as posted as there are many mistakes. I'm hoping it's OMG's typing (and not Cavallo's email cut and pasted)!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

I just hope and pray that Cavallo didn't type the letter as posted as there are many mistakes. I'm hoping it's OMG's typing (and not Cavallo's email cut and pasted)!

Not MANY mistakes; one extra letter- olnly and one misused word- task rather than tax, that stand out.

The former happens. The latter may have been an auto-correct issue.

If we're picking those nits, we're either bored or afflicted.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 1:00pm
BTW, OMG2011 posted this in the Pay Raises topic (about District 209).

This original topic was locked in the Election section. I moved that topic into the Education area and moved OMG's post into here to join it and maybe help close the loop on Mr. Brophy's "raise".

It may have added to the confusion. If so... sorry.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 1:24pm
Watcher said: "If we're picking those nits, we're either bored or afflicted."

Dislike typos so I guess it would be picking nits. Expect perfection with our highly paid administrators of the school system.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 5:56pm
If it were a doctoral thesis or spelling test I could see it, but an email? Not intended for public display?

I don't expect perfection. We're all imperfect.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 6:01pm
Yes we are.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2011 at 11:11pm
Let me see if I got this Right???

EDITED Below for my comment.. BCB...

In response regarding Mr. Brophy’s salary:

In 2008,  the district had an employed a “Business Coordinator.”  This person was not a credentialed Certified School Business Official (CSBO)

The district also had a Director of Transportation who also was intending to retire at the end of the year.  This person also did not possess certification

The board and I made the decision to  hire a properly credentialed administrator

-------------------------------------------------------------------

SOMEHOW not 1 but 2 people got a job without being Certified for the 2 job's...

And since both people are  "Conveniently" Retiring, This is why we need someone new..

OFF Hand, if the 2 didn't retired, Would they still have a Job..  OR should I say,  HOW long could someone or two people MILK a job that now they can retired without ever being Credited ???  

I just don't know how they got the job in the first place, Who dropped the ball? BCB...

I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2011 at 6:49am
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

Let me see if I got this Right???
SOMEHOW not 1 but 2 people got a job without being Certified for the 2 job's... And since both people are  "Conveniently" Retiring, This is why we need someone new..
OFF Hand, if the 2 didn't retired, Would they still have a Job..  OR should I say,  HOW long could someone or two people MILK a job that now they can retired without ever being Credited ???  
I just don't know how they got the job in the first place, Who dropped the ball? BCB...

Credentials are sort of new to the school system. (Like just about everything else?) Being a certified CSBO means you've taken classes in
the theories and practices of conducting school business. It doesn't mean you'll be a GOOD CSBO or that your skills are superior to someone who learned the position through on-the-job training or years of apprenticeship and mentoring.

Most of the newly created and consolidated positions in our schools are mandated by some element of state and federal "oversight". Most of the time spent by these administrators is spent on making sure the district is filling out the proper paperwork using the proper forms, filled out correctly using the proper language and coding to conform to the demands of some higher authority.

It's a symptom of a disease with which our schools have been infected.
If a district is lucky, they find the right people with the right credentials who can transcend the bureaucratic and remain focused on the kids.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>