Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upping Our Game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upping Our Game
    Posted: 20/April/2011 at 10:46pm
another election, the mayor appears not to have grown, possibly shrunk and manic is now the swing vote for our leislative body - so what now?

some folks want a civil discussion - but what does that mean and where can that happen? i just don't see facebook as the answer.
some folks want to (still) blame our problems on the kneegrows.
some folks say we're (still) decompressing, which i can appreciate but fear the lull never ends and concludes w/making the same mistakes again in four years.
watcher is watching but not leading. (the mind meld is not working)
and i'm a jerk.

i know folks have ideas. ideas that, incredibly, have not been tried before.
received an email that said, "Between the FPF's and the CUinFP it feels to me like the opposition in Forest Park marginalizes itself. Just be publicly, proudly the opposition to the powers that be."

needs some thinking thru, but i'm sure that's the ticket.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2011 at 9:35pm
now this^ is a half-baked post.
was hoping folks would help me/us think thru the event that just happened and forge a direction forward. hopium.

cause we're not thinking of continuing the same behavior, are we?
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 9:00am
It's important to think about what impressions people get when they first come to FPF (this is the media section, right?).  If they come, what do they get in a glimpse that makes them think they are in the right place?  What kinds of people are you inclusive of vs. alienate?  Are they just like the other people on the forum or is there diversity? 

Would it be productive to have terms of use that discuss decorum as well as what kinds of information mods collect and who sees it? 

BTW what is kneegrow?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 9:23am

sure, let's talk FPF but i think you're gonna have to take the lead - because of your fairly unique perspective (sort of in, sort of out.)

(kneegrow works best as audio, not visual. along the lines of a sign that says: There's no F in parking.)

Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 9:31am

This feels akin to being asked to contribute to a committee with a bunch of people who already know how things are going to go down. No one is sincere in asking for input because you all think you're doing it right. On other threads suggestions that FPF isn't perfectly engaging and hospitable for newbies are being SHOUTED down and pressed for citations. 

Right now I suggest that perhaps a terms of use or member agreement would be useful.  A mission statement as well. 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 10:13am
ah, you sense a booby trap ? LOL

in fairness, no one has bothered to build a case that newbies are mistreated here, based on the fact they are newbies.
i'm guessing you'd like a calmer, more 'civil' discourse? please insert your own words - i'm just guessing.
also, if you've seen community-type discussion sites that have managed this, please link.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

Right now I suggest that perhaps a terms of use or member agreement would be useful.  A mission statement as well. 
i strongly agree, but not sure everyone else does.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 12:19pm

It's important to think about what impressions people get when they first come to FPF (this is the media section, right?).  If they come, what do they get in a glimpse that makes them think they are in the right place?  What kinds of people are you inclusive of vs. alienate?  Are they just like the other people on the forum or is there diversity?  Would it be productive to have terms of use that discuss decorum as well as what kinds of information mods collect and who sees it? 

Important to whom? Who are these people coming in? What brought them to FPF? Am I hearing you volunteer to be our Welcome Wagon? Walk newbies around, give them the lay of the land?

This is USER generated information and chit-chat. For me the only difference between this place and the aisle at Ed's Way is the audience and lifespan. In past wrasslings with this subject, the only consensus reached was that everybody wants decorum and that everybody has differing views about what decorum is or isn't.

My take has been and will continue to be that we are the modern electronic equivalent of Chicago's Washington Square. It was given the nickname "Bughouse Square" by the genteel folk, well no, actually it was labeled by the establishment and the name was embraced by the "Bugs". It was a hotbed of involvement.

The radical ideas being debated? The five-day work week. The 8 hour day.
Child labor laws. Public Transportation. Integration. Civil Rights. Education. The Environment. Taxes. Development. War. Poverty. Health Care. Race, Immigration, segregation,

Bughouse Square was a destination. Beyond the "main stage" there were sideshows, group discussions, think tanks and idle conversations. People of all stripes would attend looking for INFORMATION. On any given day/night you could never know for sure what you'd find going on.
Some went once and left thinking they understood what was happening there. Others returned many times and were never sure they understood anything.

People and ideas stood or fell on their merit. Civility? Decorum? That was a sliding scale thing that was wholly dependent on the crowd. Certain speakers attracted an interesting and potentially volatile mix.

IMO, this place represents that framework well. YMMV.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 1:11pm
Watcher, that's fair.  I am more inclined to delete posts, lockdown threads, and kick people out, but that's not how you roll and I can respect that. 

As to the who, what, how... I'm not the one with analytics admin rights.  I'm hoping someone else could speak to that better than I.  You guys DO use analytics, right??
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 2:15pm

Watcher, that's fair.  I am more inclined to delete posts, lockdown threads, and kick people out, but that's not how you roll and I can respect that. 

As to the who, what, how... I'm not the one with analytics admin rights.  I'm hoping someone else could speak to that better than I.  You guys DO use analytics, right??

Your approach pretty much plays into the charges leveled against this place, so I'd stop short of saying that's "how I roll". Rather I'd say that having been around more than a few places that played at steering people and events, I much prefer the free-form forum.

Despite the consistent belly-aching that FPF is one-sided anti-this/that/everything, if somebody has a keyboard and a thought, they're welcome to tack it up for consideration. While I do cringe when the messenger is attacked, that sort of comes with the territory. The attacker, IMO, comes off looking worse for it.

I'd posit that the apparent lopsidedness owes to a void, not an unfairness or bias. Contrary to accepted logic, one can, and should if necessary, debate an empty chair.

The rest of the excuses for not engaging here are just that. The crap about this place being just reactionary naysaying, griping and whining
is about as dismissive and marginalizing as it comes. "Harrumph! There's just no pleasing some people"? Still, it does make it easier to "keep it going" without ever having to define or defend what IT is.

Up is down, black is white, war is peace... I don't hear anyone complaining...????

Edited by watcher - 22/April/2011 at 2:19pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 2:36pm

I am more inclined to delete posts, lockdown threads, and kick people out, but that's not how you roll and I can respect that.

What is this, BTFLOL

I think the problem is, in general, when a new poster from "the other side" tries to join the fray.  Think of JBWB, Finch, etc.; they seem to come in attack mode.  I can't necessarily fault "them" knowing the treatment they're likely to get -- but I also think if one isn't a complete arse they can play and debate regularly with some measure of decorum.  

Dogcatcher's been around a long time and still posts, right?  If someone posted like her with well-constructed arguments they'd probably be OK.  Finch should be able to pull that off (JBWB - too stoopit).  Just my "opion."

Edited by arneharris - 22/April/2011 at 6:01pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 6:21pm

@arne. does BTF have a decent balance re: viewpoints? guess i mean anything to do w/local political pov.

arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 6:30pm
@citizen. No.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 6:38pm
@arne
darn. are your PTB's (also) too busy to engage in innuendo and whining?
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 7:23pm
Finch and JBWB aren't who I'm personally talking about when I say newbies.  We all know they are trolls. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 9:24pm
Unfortunately, No 6, as Arne says, the internet is not for the faint of heart. In fact, helmets should be issued for most users. But you've hung out so we aren't all that bad now are we. We're all just Forest Parkers who want our village to remain good or actually improve.

Edited by piehead - 22/April/2011 at 9:25pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 9:56pm

Finch and JBWB aren't who I'm personally talking about when I say newbies.  We all know they are trolls. 
amy rita? LOL

perhaps i'm the dullest, but i think you guyz need to be a bit more forthcoming. can we have a clue?

and, yes, i can appreciate the irony of a chronic poster, possible in-crowd(?) type poster not seeing what you see. but you're not even saying quite what you see.

everyone, absolutely every poster here, has been roasted - ok, toasted. none of us are perfect and when one writes honestly, day-to-day, year after year, on many subjects - the imperfections (ha!) undoubtably show thru.
we're not doing facebook or PR here. c'mon, put it out there.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 10:02pm
trying to think back on who could be considered an honest broker for the 'other side' - the 'keep it going' believers.
what about dr. barbie?

Post Reply Post Reply