Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Local Schools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTA/PTO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTA/PTO
    Posted: 22/April/2011 at 1:28pm
A friend of mine recently told me that the Administration and the Principals on the north side of town don't want the PTA at Grant White and Garfield next year.  What is going on?  Don't they know how much PTAs do for the children and the school? 

dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 3:52pm

Heard that also what a shame.

FOCUS !!
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 3:57pm
Sounds like the rumor mill is in steriods this week.  The north side PTO was disbanned due to problems that were insurmountable.  It is a temporary hiatus as the plan is to start a new organization with the new school year.  I know this for a fact because I was involved in it. 

Anyone who wishes to be part of the north side PTO can contact either school (Grant White or Garfield) about being involved in the rebirth of the north side PTO.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 5:44pm
@martini.
sure is nice to have a D91 'innuendo intercepter' on board. (not officially, of course :)
much appreciated.
itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 11:32pm
That's actually incorrect, Martini.  They disbanded this year, but Dr. Cavallo said they may not allow them back next year.  And garfield and GW are a PTA not a PTO, so how directly are you actually involved?

itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 11:35pm
I have a friend who was very involved in the PTA several years ago, and I still keep in touch with some very involved parents at GW and Garfield.  There is already a new board, but the schools won't let them do anything this year.  I was told they may not let them back next year.  Not innuendo, Citizen, or a Rumor, Martini, just a plain old fact. 

Edited by itsme - 22/April/2011 at 11:37pm
itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2011 at 11:45pm
Just so no one jumps down my back,  I spoke to someone who attended the State of the Schools meeting also, and I have spoken to current PTA members.  A letter was sent to parents stating they would not longer recognize the PTA, and the told the parents who wanted to continue that they would not accept any $$ or let them use the school for events to raise $$ or have family nights for the kids, even though a new board was elected and the problems were resolved.  The  District is now paying for some of the things the PTA used to provide funds for, but they're missing out on fun nights and all the things the PTA used to plan.  Great way to squash parent involvement if you ask me.  Who suffers?  The kids.  
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2011 at 7:24am
Why would the district keep out involved parents, especially parents willing to raise $$? Makes no sense.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by itsme itsme wrote:

Just so no one jumps down my back,  I spoke to someone who attended the State of the Schools meeting also, and I have spoken to current PTA members.  A letter was sent to parents stating they would not longer recognize the PTA, and the told the parents who wanted to continue that they would not accept any $$ or let them use the school for events to raise $$ or have family nights for the kids, even though a new board was elected and the problems were resolved.  The  District is now paying for some of the things the PTA used to provide funds for, but they're missing out on fun nights and all the things the PTA used to plan.  Great way to squash parent involvement if you ask me.  Who suffers?  The kids.  

"even though a new board was elected and the problems were resolved."

So there were PROBLEMS with the old PTA/O board? Doesn't that put a completely different spin on things? What were the "problems" and how were they "resolved"?

It sounds like the "problems" may have forced the Supt. and Board to take the actions they took? If there were money issues or PTA/O POLITICS involved, they were probably festering things that have been going on for a while? The Board and Supt. called a time-out.

You say the district will make up the lost funding until the situation is corrected with next year's group? So how do the kids suffer?

I'd counter that kids suffer when the grown-ups behave childishly. Parental involvement requires having things for parents to do. Preferably something beyond writing a check to a group who then decide who gets what.

In short, it sounds like a much needed wake-up call. Was it heavy-handed? A knee-jerk reaction? That's not been the district's style to date, so what happened this time that made it necessary?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
mochalatte View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochalatte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2011 at 11:04am
I feel like I need to weigh in here.  I was on the PTA board in the past for many years.  I have personally talked with current board members, Principal Stauder, Dr. Cavallo and the PTA District Rep several times so I know what I'm talking about.  No innuendo or rumor here.
l could go on ad nauseum about the problems and point fingers, but I'm not here to do that.  The problems started last yr. w/an inexperienced and new board and trying to work with two principals who wanted and allowed different things in their schools.  It was a difficult and trying year.  The problems continued this year.  There some very hard-working and dedicated board members, but one member made things very difficult and they could not work together.  There was lack of communication and no effort to get volunteers for events so they were just cancelled.  There was no real leadership.  I and other past board members were called for advice/help.  This same board member repeatedly went to the administration with inaccurate stories and accusations about other board members without their knowledge.  The admin made no attempt to get the facts or speak to the other board members.  Private emails between board members were forwarded to the Supt. and principals without everyone's knowledge.  I repeatedly told this board member that the PTA is a separate and distinct org. and problems should be resolved without the admin's. involvement.  Three board members stepped down and wanted to hold a new election.  By then a letter was sent out stating the schools would no longer recognize the pta.  The parents elected a new board in hopes of moving forward.  They went to the admin. and stated they would start fresh and finish they year.  They were denied.  The district rep even intervened but hit a roadblock.  Her emails weren't even answered last I heard.  They won't even let them go into the school to retrieve items bought by the PTA.  The board continues to meet to plan for next year, but they were told by Dr. Cavallo that the PTA "may not be for them".  The PTA can still exist, and parents want it to, but meetings, fundraisers, events would have to be held outside the schools.  It can be done, but if they won't accept the $$, what's the point? 

Watcher, the point is the district will pay for a few assemblies and maybe some field trips, but the PTA did so much more than that.  It provided books for classrooms, family fun nights, provided funds and volunteers for the all-school picnic, funds for the band, spelling bee, 5th gr. trip, to name only a few.  Some of the money goes to the State PTA for legislation on behalf of children.  Does the district need the added expenses just to prove a point?  Should the kids miss out on these things?  The new board is ready and waiting to work.  They just won't let them.  All because they listened to one person's bull---- when they should have stayed completely out of it, or at the very least gotten all the facts before sending out the letter.

Edited by mochalatte - 23/April/2011 at 12:30pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2011 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by mochalatte mochalatte wrote:

Watcher, the point is the district will pay for a few assemblies and maybe some field trips, but the PTA did so much more than that.  It provided books for classrooms, family fun nights, provided funds and volunteers for the all-school picnic, funds for the band, spelling bee, 5th gr. trip, to name only a few.  Some of the money goes to the State PTA for legislation on behalf of children.  Does the district need the added expenses just to prove a point?  Should the kids miss out on these things?  The new board is ready and waiting to work.  They just won't let them.  All because they listened to one person's bull---- when they should have stayed completely out of it, or at the very least gotten all the facts before sending out the letter.

And my point is that there's a lot more to the story than: Dr. Cavallo just went insane and bounced this group from the schools FOR NO REASON!"

Since you seem to bridge the era from functioning to dys, you could submit a list of the supplies, programs and extras that the PTA/O provided to help make sure the kids aren't losing out on anything.

I can't and won't dispute your account of the situation, but I'd hope it would take more than ONE unhappy parent to make this action seem wise and appropriate to the people in charge. I haven't dealt with PTO/A/Boosters for over a decade now, so I don't pretend to know how they operate today.

I do remember the PTA/PTO logic that PTA was a national org while PTO was strictly local so having two K-6 schools in each gave the district all the advantages of the national org without having to pay dues for each school, but that was back when one principal ran two schools. PTA at one and PTO at the other so the information sharing was streamlined.

My experiences with the various organizations were mixed.
Some years they were too fund-raising focused, other years not enough.
Some years were petty competitions, other years were terrific, cooperative efforts. Things always seemed to work out?

Probably the lasting memories are the people who said nobody wanted to be involved, how the same people were always doing everything... The reality was that many parents would gladly have helped out but mostly were told "We got it covered; thanks anyway." or "don't call us, we'll call you."

I understand the need to have a semi-harmonious structure, but I wasn't the only one who had to stay quiet and let the "leaders" do their thing to make that happen. I'm glad that's all behind us now.

I really don't want to revisit the clique and ego stuff again, but I'd guess that it's still going strong.

The Supt. and board did a schoolyard thing that punishes everyone for the actions of "not everyone", but felt they took action which can allow the situation be figured out and fixed. Unfortunately, the outcome is more likely to make more people opt out and others wary.

Edited by watcher - 23/April/2011 at 12:58pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
mochalatte View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochalatte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2011 at 2:44pm
Unfortunately, Watcher, it actually was one board member who kept involving the Supt. and principals in business that wasn't theirs.  She was meeting with them and emailing them without the knowledge of the other board members.  They grew tired of everything, and I can't blame them.  The problem is they never spoke to the other board members and based their decision on one person's account of the problems.  I know firsthand that many of the things she told them were completely inaccurate.  The point is they wanted to start fresh and finish the year on a positive note, but they weren't given the opportunity.  They just "shut the door" and refused to open it again. 
itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2011 at 11:22pm
Citizen, I think you gave Martini too much credit as being the "innuendo interceptor".  Not everything is a rumor.  It appears from the above comments it may be true.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2011 at 9:09am
@isis.
at this point, i'm just reading along as i'm not involved. in any case, sounds like a very painful situation.
appears martini's post is accurate (or not inaccurate), but i'll accept the ding for my dismissive language. a hangover from the previous D91 rumory thread. sorry.
edit: for clarity

Edited by citizen - 24/April/2011 at 9:27am
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by mochalatte mochalatte wrote:

Unfortunately, Watcher, it actually was one board member who kept involving the Supt. and principals in business that wasn't theirs.  She was meeting with them and emailing them without the knowledge of the other board members.  They grew tired of everything, and I can't blame them.  The problem is they never spoke to the other board members and based their decision on one person's account of the problems.  I know firsthand that many of the things she told them were completely inaccurate.  The point is they wanted to start fresh and finish the year on a positive note, but they weren't given the opportunity.  They just "shut the door" and refused to open it again. 

As much as I'd like to accept your version of events, there are a few other versions that are necessary toward understanding.

This from the February meeting of the CAC:
"The GAR/GW PTA has had a chaotic year thus far; therefore, that organization is no longer being recognized by District 91. It will be reorganized next year, hopefully with rejuvenated members. At this time, all functions that were planned are still in place and if needed will be funded by the district. If there are any questions or concerns about such functions, please contact the principals at Garfield and Grant-White."

Infighting and power struggles? OR Chaos and disorganization? either way, it doesn't seem to conform to the PBIS philosophy. An inability to put petty differences and personalities aside is a very real repellant of involvement. When the important consideration is "Which SIDE are you on?" when NONE of the sides are about the kids...? Oh yeah! That's the kind of meetings I want to attend.

The community-at-large is completely out of the loop. Not a new problem for D91. When you're managing internal struggles and circling your wagons you're not accessing many valuable resources. So while it's unpleasant to air one's dirty laundry in public, hiding it isn't a solution either.

itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2011 at 1:23pm
From what Mocha was saying, it appears that some parents stepped up and wanted to start over.  Why weren't they allowed to?  I imagine it was difficult to work with 2 principals, especially as a new board.  If three board members stepped down, that says a lot.  They should have been given a chance to be heard and a chance to take the PTA forward.  And Dr. Cavallo made the above comments about letting the PTA reorganize for next yr. in Feb.  He could easily have changed his mind since then and now chooses not to allow them back.  The seem to have already reorganized.  Why couldn't they continue on this year? 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2011 at 3:37pm

From what Mocha was saying, it appears that some parents stepped up and wanted to start over.  Why weren't they allowed to?  I imagine it was difficult to work with 2 principals, especially as a new board.  If three board members stepped down, that says a lot.  They should have been given a chance to be heard and a chance to take the PTA forward.  And Dr. Cavallo made the above comments about letting the PTA reorganize for next yr. in Feb.  He could easily have changed his mind since then and now chooses not to allow them back.  The seem to have already reorganized.  Why couldn't they continue on this year? 

Giving the group time to get oriented and focused properly makes perfect sense to me. Eliminating a potential distraction for the remainder of this year does too. Something that took months (or longer) to become intolerable, petty, political and a distraction to the function of the school needs to be fixed, not patched.

itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2011 at 11:38pm
You're probably right, but I hope they are allowed back in next year.  It's a great organization and it's never a good thing to turn away parents who are willing to volunteer for the children. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2011 at 6:43am

You're probably right, but I hope they are allowed back in next year.  It's a great organization and it's never a good thing to turn away parents who are willing to volunteer for the children. 

I don't see this as turning away volunteers. Only the manner in which they coordinate one element of volunteerism by removing some parents who weren't acting like grown-ups.

It doesn't sound like it was a great organization this school year. Who, how and why is still unexplained. The implications of suspending PTA/PTO involvement are troubling in a district that already had communication issues.

No news isn't always good news.

Post Reply Post Reply