Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Truth Stranger Than Fiction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truth Stranger Than Fiction
    Posted: 05/July/2011 at 12:10am
I thought about posting this under humor but that doesn't work. Perhaps we need a catagory called Irony?

Helmets
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 9:12am
Read that over the weekend and thought, oh well, one less stupid biker...stupid because helmets save lives. Just ask my other half some day!
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 10:19am
There is a guy who i see almost daily with a kid on his motorcycle maybe about 7 yrs old neither have a helmet.
FOCUS !!
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 1:47pm
I always demanded that my girls wear a helmet when riding with me, even though they hated it and thought it was nerdy. But the law only states that you have to wear eye protection. Was the kid wearing glasses?

As for helmets, I think it's a personal choice. Sometimes I wear one and sometimes not. Depends on where I'm going. There was a biker icon by the name of Indian Larry (also from New york) who was killed in a parking lot while doing a stunt. He was known for trick-riding where he'd stand up on the seat while the bike was moving. He fell and hit his head, and the rest is a sad footnote to his legacy.

Looking from the other side of the fence... I too often see people in cars who don't have their kids in car seats, they're texting while driving, or have the car jammed full of passengers beyond it's rated capacity.

Whether you're driving or riding, Darwinism comes into play. There are always going to be people who mess up. Whether they're obeying the laws or breaking them. Backman's link is another one of those stories that is definitely ironic. Shit happens.

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Mr. Deeds Mr. Deeds wrote:

I too often see people in cars who don't have their kids in car seats, they're texting while driving, or have the car jammed full of passengers beyond it's rated capacity. Whether you're driving or riding, Darwinism comes into play. There are always going to be people who mess up.

Drives me crazy when I see people in cars with no seatbelts on or the kids not restrained. And when a kid dies (being ejected from a car in an accident), the mother is always on the news crying about her baby. Very sad and so many useless deaths could be prevented.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Mr. Deeds Mr. Deeds wrote:

I always demanded that my girls wear a helmet when riding with me, even though they hated it and thought it was nerdy. But the law only states that you have to wear eye protection. Was the kid wearing glasses?As for helmets, I think it's a personal choice. Sometimes I wear one and sometimes not. Depends on where I'm going. There was a biker icon by the name of Indian Larry (also from New york) who was killed in a parking lot while doing a stunt. He was known for trick-riding where he'd stand up on the seat while the bike was moving. He fell and hit his head, and the rest is a sad footnote to his legacy.Looking from the other side of the fence... I too often see people in cars who don't have their kids in car seats, they're texting while driving, or have the car jammed full of passengers beyond it's rated capacity.Whether you're driving or riding, Darwinism comes into play. There are always going to be people who mess up. Whether they're obeying the laws or breaking them. Backman's link is another one of those stories that is definitely ironic. Shit happens.

The difference being there ARE laws that say no texting and kids have to be belted in.
Why is no helmet a personal choice when it's clearly unsafe?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 4:23pm
I say fine, don't wear a helmet; although your insurance coverage is invalid in a head injury claim. Pretty simple; why should others have to pay for a vegetable to be kept alive in a bad situation or extensive hospital stay. JMO
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

I say fine, don't wear a helmet; although your insurance coverage is invalid in a head injury claim. Pretty simple; why should others have to pay for a vegetable to be kept alive in a bad situation or extensive hospital stay. JMO

So with no insurance who's paying for the care? Friends and family? Trust fund?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

I don't know; their other non-helmet wearing biker friends? Why should I pay for their selfishness.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 7:11pm

I don't know; their other non-helmet wearing biker friends? Why should I pay for their selfishness.

This statement shows that you haven't thought it through.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 7:25pm
Never mind; I'll just tell them that you are all for supporting their stupidness, it will be added to your health/life insurance policy.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 8:01pm

Maybe they could charge a higher premium for the choice of not having to wear one?

"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2011 at 8:16pm
That could work; my company charges more for health insurance for smokers vs. non.
 Post Reply Post Reply