Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re-Writing History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-Writing History
    Posted: 24/August/2011 at 11:51am
Review Editorial

"Much went into reshaping the street over the past 15 years. Mayor Anthony Calderone, other forward-thinking officials and the local business community helped make it what it is. The progressives of that era met resistance from Calderone's predecessor, the late Lorraine Popelka, and others who wanted to leave well enough alone on that drab street."

The "resistance" Popelka provided was to not overspend. Spending more isn't what transformed Madison St. The street rebuild supported by the whole council at the time was a $2 million project. That might seem like chump change compared to what was eventually dumped into the street, but there's no way to know whether less would have produced the same revitalized strip. What is known is that much of the spending wasn't properly explained or accounted for. What is known is that "players" saw an opportunity and took advantage at no small cost to the taxpayers.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2011 at 2:24pm
But I rather preferred his highness' quote in the paper: "I suppose anything is possible or achievable. The dichotomy truly is a lot of attention is paid to Madison Street - that is our downtown," Calderone said. "I'm not familiar with any town having multiple downtowns. It seems awkward to me."

Who said anything about making Roosevelt downtown? And exactly what is 'awkward' about Roosevelt looking nice? Or is that it's south of the Ike and he doesn't live there any more.

Edited by piehead - 24/August/2011 at 2:26pm
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

But I rather preferred his highness' quote in the paper: "I suppose anything is possible or achievable. The dichotomy truly is a lot of attention is paid to Madison Street - that is our downtown," Calderone said. "I'm not familiar with any town having multiple downtowns. It seems awkward to me."

Who said anything about making Roosevelt downtown? And exactly what is 'awkward' about Roosevelt looking nice? Or is that it's south of the Ike and he doesn't live there any more.

Well it's pretty much a shithole right now, so if he's trying for contrast I think it's mission accomplished.
How's that Roos property working out for YOU?
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2011 at 8:44pm

Calderone said. "I'm not familiar with any town having multiple downtowns. It seems awkward to me."

He needs to get out more...

"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

Calderone said. "I'm not familiar with any town having multiple downtowns. It seems awkward to me."

He needs to get out more...

Stronger medication wouldn't hurt either.
Finch View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull
spook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2011 at 5:16pm
What is so wrong with Roosevelt Road besides that Godawful wait at the light at Circle and Roosevelt? Ultra Foods is a nice grocery store, Smokin'M's is very good, quite a few shops, Quizno's is friendly and spotless, Portillo's is heavenly, McGaffer's is one of the best bars in town with what could very well be the best beer garden. The dollar store is surprisingly a bargain hunters dream (think Halloween candy, Easter stuff for the kids, gift wrap, etc.). K-Mart and Wal-Mart suck unless I could somehow shop there when it's closed but they bring in a good tax base. Cardinal Liquors is very convenient and well stocked, Jerry Gleason needs something in there, I'll give ya that. Would love to see that filled but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I'd say I spend equal time on Roosevelt and on Madison. It's never going to be the outdoor cafe, boutique shopping quaint street Madison has become but it shouldn't be that. Imagine trying to cross 4 lanes to go from Team Blonde to the Hardware store?? It's not meant for that.
"Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die."
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2011 at 10:37pm
I don't know Finch; perhaps you should ask your friend Calderone or is it awkward for you too?
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2011 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Finch Finch wrote:

What is so wrong with Roosevelt Road  

Get out of your car and walk it from Harlem to Des Plaines. It becomes a lot more apparent how run down everything is when you're not moving at 35 mph.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Barb Wire Barb Wire wrote:

What is so wrong with Roosevelt Road  

Get out of your car and walk it from Harlem to Des Plaines. It becomes a lot more apparent how run down everything is when you're not moving at 35 mph.

Just like I wish the building department of FP would get their butts out of their cars and walk the streets and alleys for flagrant code violations. But that would be asking way too much.

Finchy must be a northsider; just uses Roosevelt to get somewhere else.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2011 at 6:00pm

What is so wrong with Roosevelt Road besides that Godawful wait at the light at Circle and Roosevelt? Ultra Foods is a nice grocery store, Smokin'M's is very good, quite a few shops, Quizno's is friendly and spotless, Portillo's is heavenly, McGaffer's is one of the best bars in town with what could very well be the best beer garden. The dollar store is surprisingly a bargain hunters dream (think Halloween candy, Easter stuff for the kids, gift wrap, etc.). K-Mart and Wal-Mart suck unless I could somehow shop there when it's closed but they bring in a good tax base. Cardinal Liquors is very convenient and well stocked, Jerry Gleason needs something in there, I'll give ya that. Would love to see that filled but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I'd say I spend equal time on Roosevelt and on Madison. It's never going to be the outdoor cafe, boutique shopping quaint street Madison has become but it shouldn't be that. Imagine trying to cross 4 lanes to go from Team Blonde to the Hardware store?? It's not meant for that.

Screw all that - the Golden Steer, baby!
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2011 at 7:02pm
Ohhhh yeah !!!!! THE STEER !!!!Thumbs Up
FOCUS !!
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2011 at 7:29pm

+1
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2011 at 9:21pm

+1

+2
Jonesy View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2011 at 10:58pm
Was there in 1985- filthy.  Met an associate there last February-still filthy, same dirt as 85 only more so.
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2011 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Jonesy Jonesy wrote:

Was there in 1985- filthy.  Met an associate there last February-still filthy, same dirt as 85 only more so.

I'm pretty grossed out by unsanitary situations in dining/medical/etc.  I can't say I've ever thought the Steer was unclean.  Severely outdated decor, check.  Dirty, not so much.  Awesome drinks and food, check.  Insanely hilarious yet competent and attentive waitstaff, check.   That's a lot of +'s in my book.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2011 at 8:33am
Filthy? I don't go there often but it's never looked or felt filthy to me either. Outdated decor, of course. You want some more outdated decor, check out Saban's Place in Hodgkins. Same era.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2011 at 7:28pm

Awesome drinks and food, check.  Insanely hilarious yet competent and attentive waitstaff, check.   That's a lot of +'s in my book.

++!

@ pie - never been to Saban's.   I need to do that, soon.  I hear their weekend prime rib special is really good (I know you're a fish person).  But the Steer's prime rib is killer, too.. and seems to have gotten better in recent years.  yyyyyyum!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2011 at 7:32pm
I had fresh tilapia at Saban's and it was very very good.
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2011 at 9:13pm

I had fresh tilapia at Saban's and it was very very good.

It kinda looks like Andreas only .... less.....  busy.   Is this actually the right pic from yelp?

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2011 at 9:24pm
Saban's got fkd by the closing of Joliet Road in the quarry.  Once located on a busy artery, they're now off the beaten path, relying only on reputation.  When I drove by on a recent Saturday eve, they were packed.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2011 at 8:45am
We went on a Thursday early evening; not busy at all.

The salad bar was small but fresh and tasty. Prices were reasonable and they offer money off coupons through restaurant.com. Cost me $10 for $25 of food at the restaurant (had to spend $35 on food to use it; no alcohol/tax/tip included). Was a nice incentive and we will go back.

Barbwire, your photo is what it looks like on the outside. Very 70's inside. No carpeting; quarry tile floors; darker. But I actually prefer the tile to carpet at a lot of restaurants!

Edited by piehead - 30/August/2011 at 8:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply