Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Local Schools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2011 School report cards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2011 School report cards
    Posted: 03/November/2011 at 3:13pm
Another stellar year for Proviso 209. Yes, let's keep Chris Welch on board and pay all his f**king legal bills. And let's keep paying into this wonderful school.

proviso 209

Our grammar schools aren't too much better.

District 91

Although I know that not all the attendees are not from FP (even though the superintendent doesn't see it)...I still see kids getting off the el in the morning from the city and going to FP's schools.

Yep, keep giving money to Calderone/Hosty/Mannix's PAC. They like District 209 and Chris Welch.

So where's this plan for Mannix's FP High School?
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2011 at 8:15am

Has anyone held his feet to the fire regarding this in person?  Particularly, during public meetings?
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2011 at 9:15am
I'll hazard a guess that since he is now part of the Hosty/Calderone coalition that they have told him to stop the nonsense of a high school. After all, it was good enough for our mayor to not graduate from there!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

Has anyone held his feet to the fire regarding this in person?  Particularly, during public meetings?

if by 'held his feet to the fire' you mean 'made a statement' to the council at the designated 'you can talk now but don't expect us to answer you' portion of the meeting, i believe the answer is no.
again, our council does not engage in dialogue w/the public - in public.
well, there was that one time recently where the mayor defended a village vendor against the union guys who said that vendor didn't like to pay his workers - much.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2011 at 8:38am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

if by 'held his feet to the fire' you mean 'made a statement' to the council at the designated 'you can talk now but don't expect us to answer you' portion of the meeting, i believe the answer is no.
again, our council does not engage in dialogue w/the public - in public.

Defeatist attitude?  Does everyone else in FoPa feel the same, or is it good old fashioned apathy?
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2011 at 9:12am
You keep beating a dog down and at some point they just give up.

3 beats 2 every time in Forest Park and now Mannix is part of the Calderone cartel.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Another stellar year for Proviso 209. Yes, let's keep Chris Welch on board and pay all his f**king legal bills. And let's keep paying into this wonderful school.

Our grammar schools aren't too much better.

Although I know that not all the attendees are not from FP (even though the superintendent doesn't see it)...I still see kids getting off the el in the morning from the city and going to FP's schools.

Yep, keep giving money to Calderone/Hosty/Mannix's PAC. They like District 209 and Chris Welch.

I've never been a big fan of "School Report Cards". The scores do reflect the normal distribution of scores that have traditionally occurred. This isn't Lake Wobegon where all the children are above average. All of them may be special and uniquely gifted, but that's not what these tests are designed to measure. So what IS the point?

The result of this year's report (which are actually LAST year's students) has little to do with teaching or learning. Why do we accept that NCLB yardsticks and standardized tests are a good measure or point the way towards improvement? All evidence points to these tests being used for class warfare. andonandon...

been there; done that. Thank you for playing their game.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2011 at 7:50pm
So Watcher, do you think that even though 209's graduation % absolutely sucks that it's okay? Not sure I understand your reply at all. Or are you a Welch supporter, like Tony etal?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2011 at 8:57pm

So Watcher, do you think that even though 209's graduation % absolutely sucks that it's okay? Not sure I understand your reply at all. Or are you a Welch supporter, like Tony etal?

Proviso was a failed institution long before test scores were "important", yet they are being measured as if they were a functioning system.

I don't think it's okay that Proviso sucks, but as long as the district is protected by and for "the good schools", there isn't a whole lot to be done about it except individually. It's basic math and EVERY Proviso student can do it, every Proviso student LEARNS it.

This has all been well hashed out here before. Test scores have very little to do with learning or education.

Edited by watcher - 07/November/2011 at 9:00pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
TheBeacon View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2011 at 10:30am
the school system in the town is just as ass-backwards and shady as the actual town is.

You got probably hundreds of kids out of district taking busses and trains to school, a complete lack of recpect for authority towards teachers and staff, a lack of respect for the buildings and grounds, teachers that leave to go home at the bell with the kids, etc. Just an obvious lack of motivation

Then you have two high and mighty's sitting on their high horses doing nothing about the obvious problems in the school district.

Edited by TheBeacon - 15/November/2011 at 10:32am
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2011 at 11:49am
Run for school board? 

We get a lot of kids whose relatives live in town and register their kids there.  Next door to me (apartment), in fact, the kids live with their grandmother who recently moved in to use our schools.
TheBeacon View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2011 at 12:59pm
this isn't forest park schools anymore, and the influence from the city children obviously is corrupting the kids in town. I've seen straight up whiteboy's turn into wiggers after going to the middle school, maybe it's the adolescence and finding yourself but who knows.

when you have a shit load of people KNOW that there are many out of district kids our schools why do the high horse assholes ignore it?

They'd get that feather in their cap turning this district back into "Forest Park Schools" and not "Forest Park's schools featuring Chicago's finest" by eliminating these leeches that don't even live in Forest Park from the district
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2011 at 1:34pm
And these kids sure are arrogant little cussers. Other day they walked right in front of the car (were not looking and did not check as they walked). I wasn't driving; good time to have airhorns on the car, scare the crap out of the aholes. By the way, they called the driver a motherf**ker.
TheBeacon View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2011 at 2:02pm
I gotta say most of these kids you see hanging around on the benches and stuff probably arent even from around here. they can take the blue line back at any ungodly hour of the night. their parents already have them taking the train alone at such a young age, they dont care when they come home.

most of the kids from this town are good and humble deep down, even the biggest punks at the middle school or skate park. it's this shitty city attitude that's being passed onto the kids at the school.
TheBeacon View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2011 at 12:55pm
I just wanted to add another hilarious fact. the forest park school district has been getting these ten grand smart boards put in almost every classroom in the district. they spend hundreds of thousands on this technology that does jack shit to the test scores.

We're nearly ten percent behind the state average for test scores, and these high horse douche bags think technology is the problem. Obviously not.

This place is a far cry from the days of Tinder. All these suits want is more money to do less work. It's pathetic enough we need two guys to run this district, it's more pathetic when one guy (in Tinder) could out run the hell out of school districts

"Forest Park SD 91 spent $14,914 per student in the 2009-10 school year, compared to an statewide average of $10,755 among similarly sized districts."

What a fucking waste of money, paying more than average per student for LESS THAN AVERAGE SCORES!

isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2011 at 9:55pm
What exactly do you know about Smartboards? Are you an educator, and if so, what is your opinion based on?
All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
TheBeacon View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/December/2011 at 9:36pm
I know the teachers in the district use them as nothing more than a glorified projector. No use of any of the highlighters or attachments. They simply use these as overhead projectors. 

I am a parent and I don't see the need for a lot of the classrooms in the district to have them. Why should rooms like:The home arts room, the art room, the industrial arts rooms. etc have these in there? Didn't you used to learn in those classes by hands on experience?

From what I'm told, the boards are hardly used anyway. Waste of money, these stupid suits love spending our money!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/December/2011 at 9:31am
Originally posted by TheBeacon TheBeacon wrote:

I know the teachers in the district use them as nothing more than a glorified projector. No use of any of the highlighters or attachments. They simply use these as overhead projectors. 

I am a parent and I don't see the need for a lot of the classrooms in the district to have them. Why should rooms like:The home arts room, the art room, the industrial arts rooms. etc have these in there? Didn't you used to learn in those classes by hands on experience?

From what I'm told, the boards are hardly used anyway. Waste of money, these stupid suits love spending our money!

The technology is relatively cheap and aggressively marketed. Training the teachers how to integrate technology has been one of the areas cut or eliminated completely. The districts in the vanguard of integrated technology have committed the resources to make it successful.

From there it's been monkey see; monkey do. "They have smartboards, they are good schools. We get smartboards, we are good too!"

Without training and access to applications/materials, Smartboards are no better than the Apple IIs that every classroom had, but were rarely switched on.

isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/December/2011 at 5:27pm
I wish the educators (in name only, of course) would seek out the knowledge of those who never set foot in a classroom before thinking about purchasing something that is being utilized in schools around the country.

I hope no one is saying that state-of-the-art technology shouldn't be used in our classrooms because they cost moneyCry
All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2011 at 7:57am
Originally posted by isis isis wrote:

I wish the educators (in name only, of course) would seek out the knowledge of those who never set foot in a classroom before thinking about purchasing something that is being utilized in schools around the country.

I hope no one is saying that state-of-the-art technology shouldn't be used in our classrooms because they cost money

All or nothing eh? I don't think classrooms need doppler radar,linear accelerators, missile tracking stations or mass spectrometers, even if they are state-of-the-art models.

Acquiring technology is important. Getting useable technology doubly so.
Integrating it into the curriculum has to be forethought, not hindsight.
Technology not being fully used and integrated is technology wasted.

And just for the record, every person has set foot in a classroom at some point in their lives. I hope you're not saying "educators" are limited to those who practice in classrooms or that outside knowledge isn't valid within the classroom.?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2011 at 8:46am
Watcher said: "Integrating it into the curriculum has to be forethought, not hindsight."

Is this kind of like Forest Park hiring a lobbyist without having anything at all in mind what this person (we are paying over $3K a month) is supposed to be doing for us????????

Forest Park just loves to waste money.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2011 at 8:01am

Watcher said: "Integrating it into the curriculum has to be forethought, not hindsight."

Is this kind of like Forest Park hiring a lobbyist without having anything at all in mind what this person (we are paying over $3K a month) is supposed to be doing for us????????

Forest Park just loves to waste money.

What do we know? Maybe he had a hand in bringing Grand Appliances to town to fill the old Trage's niche. We should all join the Chamber of Commerce and demand a rebate on our taxes!

Do we think our kids aren't learning that contrary to what the schools are trying to teach, that in real life, bullshit works? That it's all about the bullshit?

Post Reply Post Reply