Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Soapbox
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - So you think this guy will get a liquor license
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So you think this guy will get a liquor license

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So you think this guy will get a liquor license
    Posted: 15/March/2012 at 8:47am
From the Review: "Calahan said he enjoyed visiting Madison Street over the years with hockey buddies after practice in Oak Park and that Mayor Anthony Calderone helped him scout a location for his new business."

article

So, what do you think the chances are that the village will be issuing this guy a full liquor license? I'd say pretty damn good

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2012 at 9:06am
Another "full service restaurant"? Just like Zambonies?

On the bright side, it does add another green to the Madison St. bar-golf course which was still a few short of the standard 18.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2012 at 9:37am
I like the idea of another restaurant.  Especially one that is not Italian or Thai/Sushi.  Spanish Tapas sounds fun.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

I like the idea of another restaurant.  Especially one that is not Italian or Thai/Sushi.  Spanish Tapas sounds fun.
As watcher mentioned, let's hope that they are, in fact, a restaurant and not just another 'bar'...ala Zambonie's....what a dismal failure that place has been!
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2012 at 10:36am
Love it !! We need a differant restaurant I agree totally with Martini sounds like fun and now we wont have to go to Hillside for tapas.
FOCUS !!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

Wait, What? You don't like the fine full service restaurant dining at Zambonie's?

A restaurant is THE most difficult business to start up in a down economy. A bar, OTOH, can do okay in both good and bad times.

So let's be honest about the FoPa Wine Bar. Up and down Madison St. the bar businesses are doing okay, restaurants are struggling.

I don't have a problem with another bar on Madison St. It'll have it's regulars (knockin' back a few after hockey games in Oak Park), but it's not as though Mr. Callahan is an experienced restauranteur. That doesn't mean he can't make a go of it, but clearly he's looking to open a bar on Madison St.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2012 at 3:49pm
"Evanston resident John Mark Calahan plans a 61-seat restaurant, with full-service alcohol, featuring live jazz and blues entertainment. The village council on Monday approved a liquor license for the establishment."

Ooops, I guess I missed where they already approved it on Monday. My bad.

I just love this: "The new restaurateurs decided they needed a full-service license and that was only available with a restaurant kitchen, said Calahan. "So we're opening a restaurant. We think we'll fill a niche."

Only available with a restaurant kitchen....so we're opening a restaurant.

Do you think he had his fingers crossed or winked or nudged the village council when he said that?

I guess time will tell.

So there will be Fat Duck, Skrine, Tapas, O'Sullivan's, Healy's, Cucina, Original Pancake House, all in a 2 block radius! My my.
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2012 at 8:29am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

So there will be Fat Duck, Skrine, Tapas, O'Sullivan's, Healy's, Cucina, Original Pancake House, all in a 2 block radius! My my.

May I ask why you find this offensive?  I like the idea of walking down the street and being able to choose where and what I would like to eat.

If it turns out to be a nice restaurant with good food, will you come back here and eat crow for accusing them of doing something backhanded?
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2012 at 8:56am
Once again I agree with Martini...another spot to try and if its good and succeeds is that not what we all want instead of failing boarded up places. 
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2012 at 9:10am
I don't find it offensive at all. More power to him. But I hope it really will be a restaurant and not just a bar (I don't go to bars that don't offer food). We don't need any more of those.

My my my comment was just that that's a lot of restaurants in a small area.

I wonder if the new guy on Harrison will be so fortunate when he applies for his liquor license? I wonder if he goes out with the mayor after hockey games too.

Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2012 at 1:28pm
The new guy on Harrison probably will not get one as the owners of the building told the last restaurant her rent would go sky high . Has nothing to do with Tony, unless the new guy can afford to pay what Sherri could not.
FOCUS !!
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2012 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

(I don't go to bars that don't offer food).

Why not? Or do you just go to restaurants that have bars?
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2012 at 3:49pm
No, wiseguy Arne, just like to make sure bars have food. Keeps people a little saner it seems.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2012 at 3:59pm
How so? You can't eat before or after a foodless bar visit? Or have food delivered? Strange.

I rarely have ordered anything at McGaffer's.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2012 at 10:02am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

The new guy on Harrison probably will not get one as the owners of the building told the last restaurant her rent would go sky high . Has nothing to do with Tony, unless the new guy can afford to pay what Sherri could not.

Well, it appears he will get a liquor license. From today's Review: "Amelia's on Harrison to offer beer and wine

The village council has added an extra Class A2 liquor license to accommodate Amelia's Restaurant, which will open at the former site of the Harrison Street Caf, 7330 Harrison Street.

"We wanted to open, serving just beer and wine," said co-owner Sarah Houhoulis. "Hopefully we can have full-service liquor later." The restaurant, which may be open as soon as the first week of April, plans a menu of organic, locally sourced American food.

Houhoulis, with husband Greg, have been remodeling the former cafe. "Everything's been running smoothly. The Village of Forest Park has been a joy to deal with."

scroll down in article
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2012 at 10:46am
Maybe they bought the bldg?? Because Sherri's landlord would have jacked her rent so high she would have had to close years ago. Sherri was also approved btw.

Edited by dogcatcher - 28/March/2012 at 10:47am
FOCUS !!
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2012 at 3:53pm
I agree about food in bars, piehead.
I actually think we have too many restaurants on Madison, especially Thai. I get the part about it being tough to make a go of retail in a depression but we do need some retail too.

Gall town smarm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2012 at 8:44pm
Restaurants, hair places, bars and very little retail.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2012 at 4:56pm
We are getting Craigs Shoes..love them.
FOCUS !!
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2012 at 5:35pm
yawn
Gall town smarm
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2012 at 9:44pm
If ou do not like what FP has to offer why stay.
FOCUS !!
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2012 at 10:20am
Dog, do you belong to the John Birch Society?
Actually, it seems to me that YOU have far more complaints than I do!! Rarely does a day go by that you don't post some racist commentary...

So why don't "ou" leave?
Gall town smarm
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2012 at 12:59pm
Typo my keyboard is shot. And my complaints have been about basically 1 thing  1033 Thomas and how to dispose of them...but foreclosure and failure to pay taxes took care of that , not the ghetto scum is in Berkely hope they have as much fun as our block did for 15 yrs.
FOCUS !!
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2012 at 11:39am
I have read many of your posts over the years. Your comments have not been restricted to 1033.

Gall town smarm
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2012 at 7:48pm
90% of them at least. And a few were directed at the slumlord who bought1031 and rented it to section 8ers who then became as bad as 1033, but now they are all gone and thank God and the PD who helped alot.
FOCUS !!
 Post Reply Post Reply