Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Forest Park Garden Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you have an Ash Tree?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you have an Ash Tree?
    Posted: 19/April/2012 at 7:41am
Last week a large Ash tree fell over. It was windy, but not stormy. The remaining stump of the tree shows clear damage from boring insects. Several years ago, a smaller ash on the same block toppled in the same manner. That was before the Emerald Ash-Borer Beetle had received much publicity.

Forest Park has many, many ash trees planted on our parkways. If you have one on or near your property, you may want to take a closer look at its health and perhaps park your vehicle a safe distance away from its shadow.

Ash Borer Info

The recommended "homeowner" treatment is Bayer Advanced Garden, Tree & Shrub. A Ten pound jug costs $50-100 (it pays to shop around). The number of treatments per jug depends on the size of the tree. A single treatment will last up to 12 months.

SFAIK, the village has not treated any of its trees for this pest. They don't plant ash trees anymore.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2012 at 11:48am
But if the ash tree is on the parkway, shouldn't we make the village inspect and treat it? If not, they might try and fine us for touching their trees (I know we are not supposed to trim them ourselves). Although when it comes to their trees roots interfering with sewerage lines, then they are our $$ problem.

Just curious.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

But if the ash tree is on the parkway, shouldn't we make the village inspect and treat it? If not, they might try and fine us for touching their trees (I know we are not supposed to trim them ourselves). Although when it comes to their trees roots interfering with sewerage lines, then they are our $$ problem.

Just curious.

Since the village doesn't park a car near the trees in your yard or parkway, it might be cheap insurance to treat your own and their ash trees against borers.

If the village does it, there are liability issues. If it doesn't, it's an act of God? Plausible deniability. Much easier to chop/chip them up after they're on the ground.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2012 at 3:34pm
I know I know. Village is big on deniability!

A portable stop sign put up because the stoplight was out, flew into my car and did $1K worth of damage. EVEN THOUGH there were high wind warnings in effect (and there were no sandbags or weights on the sign), the village insurer chose to say it was my fault and I had to pay. Yep, this village is big on deniability. Huge in fact.
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2012 at 10:33am
 Wow Pie....Mother nature is blowing hard, a dumb village employee forgets or doesn't care the sign wasn't weighed down, and you just driving by was at fault?  Thats a new one....Ever since we moved in here I always thought the biggest scam at the time was the 50/50 sidewalk replacement program lol.....Here is a sidewalk you can get arrested for by drinking on it because it's "public property".....If any of you walked down the sidewalk on my side of the street can I tell you to get off of that "public sidewalk"?  NOPE....BUT Our generous village is right there having our backs by being just generous enough to foot half of the $$$ to fix their sidewalks....lol again....I always felt that if it cost lets say 100.00 dollars to fix one square of sidewalk and your half was 50.00 that you were paying more then half and most just never knew it....I am sure with all the sidewalks needing to be repaired every year MATC is getting a sweet deal and is not paying a full half per square and in fact is probably getting a cut of the homeowners half....When we first moved in our sidewalks in front were already terrible and they stayed that way right up to the time the village was tearing up the parkways right up to the sidewalks in a lot of cases fixing god knows what cause I cant even remember now....In our case the sidewalk crumbled even worse w/ the heavy machinery digging inches away....needless to say we finally after 20+ years finally got new sidewalks and paid 50% of nothing.....at least back then it seemed like the only thing I thought was not the problem of a homeowner or landlord but the village was paying all of it....Now it seems since then they have branched out to everything to get $$$ just short of taxing the beggars on the main streets for passing thru this great town....I know this had nothing to do with an ash tree but still ash tree, sewer lines or sidewalks  (all village property)  they always seem to find a way to pass the buck, And its always the poor resident it gets passed to....I say screw the whole damn bunch of those thieves.

Edited by Pitbull - 20/April/2012 at 10:38am
I'm Dog The Bounty Hunter
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2012 at 11:06am
Yep, pitbull it was my fault. I still have the letter from their insurance carrier. I had done everything as was told to do by the village first; went there (on my time of course) and had the police take pictures of the damage. Got copies of the weather advisories from the Chicago Tribune and sent those along as well. Yep, my fault.

Just like their trees blocking my sewer lines cost me about $4K to fix.

And we've replaced all their sidewalks (at 50/50, I know, stupid) too.

They are a bunch of thieves....just they do it 'legally and with the voters' blessings!'.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2012 at 11:10am
Was it considered your fault or an "Act of God"? The sign should have been sand-bagged, high winds or not, commonsense.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2012 at 12:12pm
Act of nature! "Municipalities are provided with immunity if they do not have actual notice of a potentially hazardous condition and have an opportunity to correct this condition"....I pointed that out to them and they still told me to get lost. They were provided with notice from the weather service! Hate them.
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2012 at 10:08pm
C'mon just say it Pie`......Our village leaders are a bunch of God damn thieves........they have no money to fix your car because they are too busy putting any available cash in their pockets......If you went in there to deliver a pizza they would all look at each other like...."I am hungry but do I have to pay".....everybody in Village hall is either a bitch or a bastard.....MAC is both
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2012 at 10:20pm
Actually we need to start a re-pay system in F.P.......Lets say your car is damaged Pie....From the wind and some dumb assed employee of the village.....it costs you 500.00 to fix your car and the village refuses to pay.....you find someting or someone that is village owned and do 1000.00 of damage to it............at some point you feel better and at some point they lose more money fixing their boo boo's then had they made things right in the first place.....you get a ticket for 30 bucks.....when you see a parked police car knock out a window.....granted our tax dollars pay for it anyway BUT MAC and crew would have less available stolen cash then normal....most wont like my tactics but I am seriously thinking of implementing my idea myself....the only thing the village has going for it is that I dont drive and they cant screw me like they have done to others.....BUT if they try to get in my pocket I will Surely get in theirs.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2012 at 8:45am
I would never destroy property of the village's; two wrongs do not make it right. Just my opinion.
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2012 at 12:55pm
 I know youre right Pie....It just seems the village is finding more ways to take the residents that make this village a village for a ride and get every nickel they can from us.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2012 at 1:56pm
We can take back the village by making sure the three amigos (the Forest Park PAC as they've donned themselves!) don't make it back in office next election.
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2012 at 2:31pm
I generally dont vote in most elections but when it comes to F.P. I do my best to get rid of MAC , Hosty and all the garbage that follows them......Lets hope we have help to rid ourselves of this virus called Anthony Calderone.....When he and Hosty are gone we may sleep better at night.....Told My bro today....we cant have 12 candidiates.....we need ONE solid man or woman to stand up and kick his ass......Stand up and be recognized.
CONCERTMAN View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CONCERTMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2013 at 1:49am
HELLO FOREST PARK, I AM OUR AREA'S TREE HISTORIAN AND DENDROLOGIST. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS HAVE BECOME OUR REGIONS EXPERT ON THE INTERACTION BETWEEN EAB AND THE AMERICAN ASH TREE. THE TREE'S INSIDE DAMAGE LIKE THE WATCHER IS DESCRIBING ABOVE WAS NOT CAUSED BY THE EMERALD ASH BORER SINCE THIS INVASIVE BUG SPECIES ONLY CAUSES SURFACE DAMAGE TO THE NEWEST GROWTH LAYER, NOT THE DEEP STRUCTURED HEARTWOOD! THE ONE THAT SMASHED THE CARS WAS CAUSED BY OLD WEAKENING. WHAT WAS REVEALED TO EVERYBODY HERE WAS OLD DAMAGE DONE BY OUR NATIVE CLEAR WING BORER. IF THE OLD INSIDE DAMAGE IS EXTENSIVE, THE NEWER OUTSIDE GROWTH LAYERS HOLD THE LIMB TOGETHER. ONCE THE EAB  DAMAGES AND DRIES THE NEWEST OUTER LAYER OUT, THE LIMBS ONLY GOOD SUPPORT FAILS AND BREAKS OFF REVEALING THE OLD DAMAGE WHICH EVERYBODY THINKS WAS CAUSED BY EAB. Most of the Ash trees in Forest Park were planted 120-150 years ago while the houses behind them were being built. Green Ash lives for 300 years, and White Ash 600 years, so todays century+ trees are only teenagers and can be inexpensively protected from the EAB by a homeowner for $10-$15 per year until the borers population crashes in six more years by killing off it's only food source. Purchase Imidacloprid 75WSB Imidacloprid 75WSB over treestuff Internet for $35 and apply 2.80 grams per DBH by soil injecting no deeper than 4"apply 2.80 grams per DBH by soil injecting no deeper than 4". Apply Mid April to end of May, otherwise it has to be professionally trunk injected by late August. Have an Arborist properly trim your tree of any rotten limbs & dead branches. Ash is a very resilient species that heals when given the chance. The bug exits our trees in spring, why let them back in! Our local ecosystem is Oak-Elm-Ash, so preserving an example of an "extinct local tree" is very rewarding. After all Ash is a part of our communities identity as a town built out of an ancient "Forest". By thoughtfully preserving these living organisms, it will allow future generations to see what our pioneers witnessed of 500 year old White Ash trees when they arrived here. The trees we see today connect us back to their era, and when they planted them they hoped these trees would replace the old growth ones cut down back then to build their hand crafted houses.  Our Indian era Oaks are now 300-500 years old and need young replacement trees germinated from their local DNA containing acorns. And while most of the Elms have all disappeared from DED, the oldest Elm tree from our region is found right in Forest Park on a North DesPlaines Av. private property. Majestic at 150-180 years old, it is a NATIVE wind blown seed grown tree. GOOD LUCK TO ALL! 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2013 at 9:13am
Thanks for stopping by CONCERTMAN. I appreciate your corrections to my original post and bow to your superior study of the problem. I've seen your posts on other boards and applaud your efforts to prevent the needless and expensive logging operations some/most communities are using to fight the EAB threat.

Treatment isn't just more cost effective, it is saving vital local resources and history. From what I've been reading, the EAB could be starved back to a non-threatening level through widespread spring treatments, but even if the clear-cutting continues, the threat will reduce when the available "food" supply is gone.

And a big thank you for pointing out Forest Park's oldest elm. I'm sure folks will be noticing it now in their travels around the village.

CONCERTMAN View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CONCERTMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2013 at 10:33pm
Thanks Watcher. Like you said months ago, it's NOT a good idea to park under any Ash trees. Elm has been called "The widow maker" in the past because large limbs would break off without warning. The historic Elm tree I was speaking of above is living near 113 DesPlaines Av. on the East side of street. A 120-140 year old American Elm is growing at 853 DesPlaines Av., across from Forest home. Forest Park has one of the best urban tree lines in all of Chicagoland. ENJOY!

Edited by CONCERTMAN - 09/April/2013 at 10:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply