Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trunk or Treat!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trunk or Treat!
    Posted: 16/October/2012 at 10:04am
Can you dig it?

Trunk or Treat on Madison St?
at the Park District?
Forest Park Mall?
Village CTA Lot?

Think of all the ways this makes more sense than kids roaming the streets. If you don't want to participate, you don't have to. If you tend to go overboard, you certainly can.

A centralized well-lit place. Easier to police/control. Beginning and ending times. A lot less walking for kids and MORE (better/safer) TREATS!

Unlimited tie-in opportunities for business and civic orgs.

What, if anything, is the downside?

Edited by watcher - 16/October/2012 at 10:19am
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2012 at 10:49am
Good idea, but then people would not be able to shop at the many retails shops on Madison
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by jerry jerry wrote:

Good idea, but then people would not be able to shop at the many retails shops on Madison

Which is why I included the CTA lot.<g> Accommodating trunkers and those driving up w/ kids is a hurdle. That would be eased if the attendees also participated?

The north edge of the FoPa MallPlaza would be awesome.
Wrapping around the west edge with overflow spilling into the Portillo's lot. That would leave ample space for "shoppers".

I don't see this coming together in the two weeks between now and Halloween, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Maybe a flash mob event at the Park or along Hannah by the Roos?

Conceivably, it could be done in front of your own home and build from there? Spread the word!

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/October/2012 at 11:51am
I am not for it. And not everyone has a car, btw. Trick or treating does have a set time.

I like to decorate my house and see the kids. All I do to avoid the bigger kids is turn the lights off about 6:30.
I wish to God people would quit trying to sanitize Halloween; saying to give out pencils not candy, no costumes at school or worse, stop the whole holiday...there are historical roots to Halloween, I don't think changing the customs now is a good idea.
Gall town smarm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/October/2012 at 12:43pm
Worked with a woman who is one of Rev. Winston's followers. They don't do Halloween. Devil worship! Her grandkids are allowed (by her) to wear costumes or Trick or Treat. boo!!!

We give out candy til the set time (7:30 this year) or we run out. Whichever comes first. And if the doorbell rings afterwards, I usually tell the kids (although at that time it's not usually 'kids' still doing it!) that Forest Park's hours are over.
Just the Facts View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2012 at 10:23am
What gives? Trick or Treat numbers were WAY down from last year. At least a third, likely more. 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2012 at 3:41pm
Wow, not on my block. We probably had at least 200 kids. We had to 'borrow' candy from my next door neighbor as we had planned for 150 tops!

Most were very well behaved, lots of parents out w/the little ones.   

Still noticed more than one or two or three folks driving in, dropping off, and then waiting at the end of the street (these were not people from FP as their vehicle tags were not ours). But the kids didn't cause problems, so no biggee.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2013 at 7:49am
Trunk or Treat in the Park
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30TH
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Come celebrate Halloween with the Park District! Held in the Park District’s parking lot, participants of our Trunk or Treat event park their cars together and open their trunks to reveal themed decorations. Decorate your car and come dressed in costume as you pass out treats to local trick or treaters. Children can walk from trunk to trunk to look at the decorations and receive candy and treats in a family environment. This event is free to attend and will coincide with our Halloween Movie in the Park.

DATE: OCTOBER 30
DAY: WEDNESDAY
TIME: 6:00PM
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/October/2013 at 8:03pm
A little bit wet, but the kids didn't seem to care. Next year I expect it to be THE place to be for Halloween.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/October/2013 at 10:30pm
They were talking about this on the radio tonight, it seems to be increasing in popularity.
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/October/2013 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

A little bit wet, but the kids didn't seem to care. Next year I expect it to be THE place to be for Halloween.
Not as wet as this evening. 
I'd happily support such an event, in lieu of answering the door a hundred times. Hope they put some more thought into it. 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

Not as wet as this evening. 

Wet is wet. Since nobody knew what to expect from the inaugural Trunk or Treat, I think it was purposely kept low key to get a sense of the event.
It will be better next year. (weather permitting?)

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 9:11am
Not sure how this would lessen the amount of kids that still will Trick or Treat on the 31st though?

Post Reply Post Reply