Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fun with NUMBers redux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun with NUMBers redux
    Posted: 28/January/2013 at 7:27pm
Following up on Watchers Fun with NUMBers post, just got the first installment of 2012 property tax bill.

A little history first. When my wife and I first decided we had to move from Oak Park in 2005, it was because our property tax bill on our modest frame 1 1/2 story, 3-bedroom, 1 1/2 bath home had ballooned suddenly by 32 percent, to around $6,200-$6,300 annually. 
So we bought in Forest Park. Large plot, bigger brick house, just $2,250 in property taxes. Nice.
As of today, that house has officially caught up with the old OP house. After a couple bucks short of $6 grand in 2011, taxes are now $3,293.00 for the first installment.

Thing is, in OP, the schools ate up the biggest share, but it was OPRF, not D209 ("Four years without multiple murders across the street!"). For that matter, D97, not D91, though grade schools aren't run- yet- by political hacks.
Add in three OP libraries and 18 OP park district facilities all being systematically upgraded, and while it wasn't cheap in OP, the costs were at least understandable.

Here in Proviso, you're left wondering just what it is you're paying for. ESPECIALLY from D209.
As per the latest property tax bill, D209 has total debt and liabilities of $81,117,851. A gross operating budget of $76,056,363. And a board that needs near total state oversight. 

Whatever.

dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2013 at 9:15pm
Depressing for sure.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2013 at 10:38pm
agree. i think its a real problem, not a 'perception.' my taxes are double yours and FP doesn't have core anchors/anything nor do we attend to our core problems.
plowed sidewalks and street parties just won't cut it - i think we should consider panic as a valid position.

Just the Facts View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2013 at 11:03pm
And I think we can all be grateful for them clearing the sidewalks so far this winter. How would we have survived? :)
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2013 at 8:55am
My 1st installment arrived as well.....now it's almost $3,600. To think that when I bought my house the taxes for a year were $1,800!

As JTF stated, it would be one thing if the village was in a decent school system or that we were putting money into infrastructure (SEWERS COME TO MIND) improvements. But no, we have parties and parades and bands....oh and mailings to the entire village for the mayor to whine and cry.
 Post Reply Post Reply