Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Soapbox
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If only he'd been armed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If only he'd been armed
    Posted: 03/February/2013 at 10:51am
According to the NRA, this wouldn't have happened if this guy'd been armed. Or, just maybe, there's a flaw in that argument?

Author of 'American Sniper' Chris Kyle shot to death: reports

(Reuters) - Chris Kyle, the former U.S. Navy SEAL sniper who was responsible for 160 kills during his career as U.S. Navy SEAL sniper, was shot and killed with another man at a gun range on Saturday, the co-author of Kyle's book said.
A suspect, identified as Eddie Ray Routh, was arrested, according to reports.
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2013 at 10:17pm
If they were at a gun range I am sure both victoms were armed, but so far I haven't read anything that said wether they were or not.
Just the Facts View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2013 at 10:30pm
Was joking, Jerry. 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2013 at 10:49pm
To bad you didn't mention your hero's staged skeet shooting picture, stock to high on the shouder(which hurts) barrel level instead of elevated, clay pidgons tend to rise when launched. The smoke from the muzzle looked a little hokey too, can we say photo shop.

I forgot to add something on my previous post, two men lost their lives trying to helped a third man, I am a little disappointed in you.

You are good at research I presume, I think you will gun control got it big push in the 60's when the LAPD found themselves facing armed citizens who were tired of being pushed around.
Mark View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2013 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Just the Facts Just the Facts wrote:

According to the NRA, this wouldn't have happened if this guy'd been armed. Or, just maybe, there's a flaw in that argument?

Or, just maybe, as usual you're trying to set up a strawman to beat up in order to disparage 4.5 million Americans who value individual freedom and personal responsibility.

I can't imagine very many people would make the absurd argument that being personally armed guarantees safety.  But between 989,883 and 2,500,000 times per year in this country it sure as heck allows for it.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2013 at 9:56am
Or, just maybe, as usual you're trying to set up a strawman to beat up in order to disparage 4.5 million Americans who value individual freedom and personal responsibility.

I can't imagine very many people would make the absurd argument that being personally armed guarantees safety.  But between 989,883 and 2,500,000 times per year in this country it sure as heck allows for it.
[/QUOTE]

Various polls show between 70 and 75 percent of NRA members favor reasonable restrictions on guns. In other words, they disagree with their rabid NRA leadership.
In the recent testimony before the U.S. Senate, not a single home defense incident cited by gun proponents- not one- involved the use of an assault rifle or high capacity magazines.
In fact, in the vast majority of the cases cited, the perps ran away as soon as they either saw the gun or heard the first shot. As W would say, "mission accomplished," unless your mission is to execute people fleeing from you.

As for Jerry, not sure what you're so wound up over. Simple fact. Two guys armed with weapons, both shot dead. Let's see what the investigations shows was used on them, and what types of weapons they were carrying. 

What exactly Obama skeet shooting has to do with this is locked in your head. It's irrelevant to the argument for reasonable gun controls. 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2013 at 10:04am
:)!!
David Plouffe refers to the people questioning the photo of Obama firing the shot gun as "skeet birthers." 

I expect Senators McCain and Graham to be all over this soon, demanding answers. 

Sadly, The Donald has not weighed in on the issue. 

(Btw, the angle IS too low. What of it? So he's a bad shot.)
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2013 at 12:52pm
JTF, I agree, most gun owners that I know do prefer gun laws and training that make sense, the problem is the knee jeck reactions by our national leaders. 

As for the picture, if you remember a few years back, a picture of Bill and Hilary dancing on a beach at Martha's Vinyard I believe by a phototographer with a telephoto lens and no one knew he was there. What was the Secert Service doing, if he was close enough to take the pic he was close enough to take a shot. But some good press was needed because their relationship was under fire again.

Mark, if there are only 4.5 million people in this country that value individual freedom and personal responsiblity then we are in worse shape as a country than I thought.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2013 at 1:05pm
I'm genuinely unclear on what your saying, Jerry That only the 4.5 million NRA members "value individual freedom and personal responsiblity"?
That you have to own a GUN to be seen as valuing freedom and responsibility? I hope that's not what you're saying. 'Cause that would leave around 305 million people out of the equation. 

And what "knee jerk reactions" are you referring to by national leaders? The assault weapon ban expired more than ten years ago. 
There are corpses that have quicker reaction times than Congress on this issue. 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2013 at 11:10pm
JTF, what I am saying is if there are ONLY 4.5 million that value these things then we are in trouble, gun ownership has nothing to do with it. I thought it was was clear, guess not.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2013 at 11:24pm
Good to hear. Thanks, Jerry.
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
 Post Reply Post Reply