Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Credit where credit is due

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Credit where credit is due
    Posted: 09/February/2013 at 11:09am
Kudos to the village for the new LED street lighting. Beyond the lower energy usage and eventual cost savings, the lighting is a marked improvement over the glaringly bright lights they're replacing. I can see both models side-by-side in my neighborhood, and it's amazing.

The LED casts a soft blue light that is similar to winter moonlight coming through the window. The old model has a harsh orangish glare that used to come flooding through the windows. 

The LED still illuminates the street, but doesn't glare onto everything else. Quite peaceful.

Good decision, village council. 

Now, speaking of flooding, here's to making similarly intelligent and effective decisions regarding the sewer system. 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 11:13am
Noticed the same thing last night. There is a huge difference. Much cleaner looking light. I'm w/ ya on the sewer issues as well. Not sure they are up to the task on that one.
Just the Facts View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 11:21am
Maybe we should all make an effort to post our opinion of the new lighting here, so the mayor doesn't get frustrated and feel the need to waste another $2,500 to get the word out. :)
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 12:58pm
My niegbor doesn't like them, says you can't see in between the houses when walking after dark. I find that I don't get the light glare in the house like we used to. It is a solfer light for sure.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 2:25pm
Jerry, maybe your neighbor needs to invest in some of his own lights. I have my garage, fence, back door and patio lit up. Doesn't cost that much.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 2:59pm
We can't ask government to responsible for private property security. I like not having massive spillover onto private property.
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 3:28pm
ha!
i prob won't have a final decision til the weather warms and my son-in-law can evaluate from my 2nd floor deck. he swore he was going to take a BB gun to the old one that sits about 15' away :)
i'm delighted we've gone green w/the lights.

@just the facts. i like the way you describe the new lighting..."similar to winter moonlight coming in the window." which is true, if you live on Saturn.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 4:05pm
Or drive by in a Saturn. :)
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 6:05pm
when i first noticed them they seemed much brighter and covered alot of ground, but w/that bluish (non-earth) tint, and was imagining the village had lots of choices (five, think) like you do at Schauer's in the fluorescent section :) or like LED christmas lights - cold white and soft white.
i'm betting (hoping) there is a whole science around street lighting, of which i know nothing.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 6:37pm
There's a growing body of research and best practices developing around this. I'm guessing it'll get tweaked a bit as we go forward. 

dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 7:45pm
Agreed, credit is due. Living on a corner, we have dealt with the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light (about 15 ft away) streaming in our bedroom window.

The new LED was quite a pleasant surprise. Now the color is a pale chrome-blue with a much higher percentage of light focused downward. Big improvement for us.
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 8:00pm
Good point mr Backman. I also have a icky street light streaming in my bedroom. I look forward to the switch!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 8:33pm
"Sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light." Nicely phrased, Backman. Youse is being as poetic as me and my "winter moonlight coming in the window."

dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2013 at 9:21pm
What light from yonder window shines
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2013 at 10:37pm
I'll have to see them. Cicero put some in last year and they are horrifically cold, and glaringly bright when driving under them.  It was obvious that - as described here - they do not cast any light towards the homes... nice and creepy there, but on the street they're rather annoying.  I hope yours aren't that nasty bluish color.

Yes, "sickly pale peach colored glare" is a great descriptor for those sodium-vapor lights, but I do appreciate how they light up the block.  On my block we also have lights half way up the pole facing the sidewalk.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2013 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Just the Facts Just the Facts wrote:

We can't ask government to responsible for private property security. I like not having massive spillover onto private property.

Just because you're not askin', doesn't mean it's not being thought about...

More than streetlights

"Since they have built-in flexibility for multiple adaptations, the systems can be programmed to serve a wide variety of purposes. Aside from merely illuminating public space, possible uses could include street surveillance with tiny cameras, monitoring pedestrian or vehicle traffic, or issuing emergency broadcasts via internal speaker systems.

The smart streetlights aren't just streetlights — they're data collection devices that have the potential to track anything from pedestrian movements to vehicle license plate numbers. And, through a curious process distinctly lacking in transparency, these spylights are on their way to San Francisco.

What could go wrong???
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2013 at 7:44pm
Well it looks like the company installing them has pulled out of Forest Park. But they have not finished the south side of FP. Their trucks are no longer by the Roos building any more.

Curious.

Edited by piehead - 04/March/2013 at 7:44pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Well it looks like the company installing them has pulled out of Forest Park. But they have not finished the south side of FP. Their trucks are no longer by the Roos building any more.

Curious.

In the trades, it's known as spiking the job. What percentage of the job is incomplete? Did the contract specify a completion date? Penalties for non-completion? Was a performance bond posted?

I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation...

But I'd still like a better explanation of the system that's been installed. Whether it has the future, plug-in, capabilities suggested in the San Francisco article? If the village was aware of these future applications when the decision to install was made? If so, why the general public was not informed of these potential future options?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2013 at 8:55am
Careful, Watcher. You want another $2,500 letter? 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2013 at 9:18am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Curious.

In the trades, it's known as spiking the job. What percentage of the job is incomplete? Did the contract specify a completion date? Penalties for non-completion? Was a performance bond posted?

I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation...

But I'd still like a better explanation of the system that's been installed. Whether it has the future, plug-in, capabilities suggested in the San Francisco article? If the village was aware of these future applications when the decision to install was made? If so, why the general public was not informed of these potential future options?

Do you really think anyone that's in charge of getting things for the village did any research? That's what we hire consultants for! Get with the program.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2013 at 10:40am
if we still practice the commish form of govt, commish harris and commish mannix are the electeds to ask. or so i read in The Post.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2013 at 1:02pm
Maybe Mannix only volunteers information to the public if he has a cushy contract with the village. 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
 Post Reply Post Reply