Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review Comments/Truth Squad/Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review Comments/Truth Squad/Facebook
    Posted: 13/March/2013 at 7:32pm
Say what you will about this little asylum, compared to the available alternatives, these forums, "anonymity" and all, are a far superior platform for the exchange of ideas.

The Review shut down comments about the cancelling of Summerfest. The T/S blog is selectively allowing comments. My Facebook experience between flooding and education and the last election-go-round exposed a few glaring short-comings.

Still, it takes two to tango. So what is it about this place that scares away
discourse?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2013 at 9:12pm
interesting question.  
internally, the 2008 national primary & election was the unexpected straw that broke this camel's back.  i know, seems implausible after years of tackling deep, intractable local issues: bad neighbors, gun control, renters, roos, zoning, renters, schools, etc.  friendships were broken, respect faded to fear, and folks dropped out. ahem.

externally, you know better than anyone...calderone's tribe spent years demonizing FPF to any/all. same stuff mannix does now but he has better technology.
they can't govern worth spit so they (still) spend 95% of their time flinging. 

is that your question? 
i have no problem w/shutting down comments and banning trolls. we've always disagreed on that.

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 12:44am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

respect faded to fear, and folks dropped out.
Wrong, it was the lack of respect. Fear? The only fear I ever detected here was fear of being outed, that was huge. People stopped posting, who could blame them, for some the cost was just too high. Then there were the let-it-all-hang-out moonlight madness parties, went way too far, not pretty. Think that may have been before your initial toe dip into the ugly zoning issues.

Can also remember some really good topics, interesting opinions, fun to read others thoughts, even the seagulls with their voracious appetite. I looked forward to participating, just don't FEEL it anymore. That's life, things change.   
Just the Facts View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 9:22am
"That's life, things change."

Except for all the people who are still being fearful of speaking their minds to power. Because "the costs are just too high."

The problem isn't a lack of respect or "let-it-all-hang-out moonlight madness parties." The problem is a cowed populace without the courage to standup to bullies. 

Somehow, in some people's minds, mere words on a website go "way too far, not pretty."

But actual repressive acts of retaliation by members of a democratically elected government go unchallenged. How utterly sick is that?

If you people had had your way back in colonial days, we'd still be British subjects. 

Edited by Just the Facts - 15/March/2013 at 9:23am
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 9:37am
Got work to do, so this is brief and not filled in.

Here's what's going to happen the last three-plus weeks before the election:

Just what happened last time, when Tommy Svengali arrived on the scene.

Two or three glossy 4-color mailers, a robo call or two.

And then, after the last pre-election Review is published March 3, there's be a cowardly cheap shot, unattributable, loaded with unsourced allegations, as opposed to sourced facts. 

Fostering personality over qualifications. Biases over thoughftul consideration. Who people know rather than what they know. 

In other words, the same stale Forest Park politics that's burdened the village board with three mendacious and unqualified commissioners.  A stale and corrosive politics Tony Calderone wants to see spread as far and deep throughout this village as he can. 

A politics Calderone and Mannix and Hosty and those who support them- and who they support- will do most anything to further.

We'll see. Tommy Svengali stupidly started a rock slide while standing at the bottom of the hill. 

Look out below, asshole.

Edited by Just the Facts - 15/March/2013 at 9:38am
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 11:39am
Actually, this played a big part.
No matter the topic, dragging one's baggage into every. single. topic.
Not to single out this latest... just sayin'.
Yeah, the revelations are stunning, but hardly the be all; end all.

The Manic's game was already in progress, long before he added his wrinkles.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 12:55pm
"No matter the topic, dragging one's baggage into every. single. topic."

I need clarification, Watcher. You talking about me or the Calderone crew?
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Just the Facts Just the Facts wrote:

But actual repressive acts of retaliation by members of a democratically elected government go unchallenged. How utterly sick is that?
Since you're off topic, what I find sick is applauding on a federal level the same things you find abhorrent on the local.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 2:50pm
Accepting for a moment that what you're talking about in the vaguest of generalities, as usual, is even true, logic, the fact remains that people on the federal level haven't screwed with friends of mine for no good reason except that they think they can get away with it. 

dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 3:23pm
Watcher, I also need clarification. Just what are you saying?? I have no idea of what you mean as I think you are the forum regular who is most guilty of "dragging ...........baggage into every. single. topic."

You are very condensending and cryptic and that is why I quit participating in the forum. You are knowledgeable and a pretty good writer (when I understand what you are writing about) and I usually agree with your postitions, however, I find you off putting as you come across to me as a boorish know it all. 

Edited by rosie - 15/March/2013 at 3:24pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by rosie rosie wrote:

Watcher, I also need clarification. Just what are you saying?? I have no idea of what you mean as I think you are the forum regular who is most guilty of "dragging ...........baggage into every. single. topic."
You are very condensending and cryptic and that is why I quit participating in the forum. You are knowledgeable and a pretty good writer (when I understand what you are writing about) and I usually agree with your postitions, however, I find you off putting as you come across to me as a boorish know it all.

Oh ouch. I might be the last boor standing, but was hardly alone.
I'm told my cryptic condescension is, by far, my most endearing quality.
An acquired taste?
I'm not a know-it-all, I'm a know-a-lot. Why does that piss people off?
Yeah, I failed the Andrew Carnagie course. I did do well in the Lorax course.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just the Facts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 6:40pm
That's a pretty insincere "ouch," Watcher. So, let's see, that would make you an insincere boor, in some people's eyes. And as we all know, them's the worst kind. 
dahhh... dah-dah-dum!
 Post Reply Post Reply