Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Soapbox
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problems with video poker disclosed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with video poker disclosed

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message
Iceman View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad
Avatar

Joined: 17/October/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 28
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2013 at 11:17pm
Zyg Stutz who owns Circle Bowl and Stutz Plumbing in Forest Park and two eateries/bars in Fox Lake sent me this newsletter from the office of the Mayor of Fox Lake;
"We have begun the process of returning the Senior/Village Resident bus.  In the near future, we will have bus service on Tuesday and Thursday.  Part of the plan for the bus service is to make the local merchants aware of the program.  It will not only benefit the bus riders but our local businesses as well.  The total cost for this program is under $20,000.00.
The RetailCoach, a development firm, was hired for $30,000.00.  They have made the initial assessment of our town from a retail stand point, established our Retail Market Area, and defined our demographics.  These are important and necessary tools to attract businesses to our town.  They were very excited about the potential for development of the Route 12 and Route 134 intersection.  On October 2nd, Administrator Schuerr, Trustee Koske and I attended the International Council of Shopping Centers in Chicago.  This gave us an opportunity to meet retailers looking to expand.  We provided them with information about Fox Lake.  The RetailCoach had provided us with several contacts at the conference, a marketing plan and materials to present.
These two programs are begin funded by the video gaming revenue, which is averaging about $10,000.00 per month."
Back to Top
Iceman View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad
Avatar

Joined: 17/October/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 28
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2013 at 11:19pm
Continued...I wonder what Berwyn, North Riverside and Brookfield do with their money?  Hey Forest Park Review, that would make an  article worth reading.

Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2013 at 7:25am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Circle inn owners own blueberry hill and shortstop on FP. Also, a bar in Fox Lake.


And Zamboni's for "20 cents on the dollar".



"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2013 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Iceman Iceman wrote:

Watcher, I have a question.  It is my understanding that Forest Park gets money from gaming, from the Rivers Casino. 
Why, how does FP get money from the casino, just askin?
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2013 at 9:14am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Originally posted by Iceman Iceman wrote:

Watcher, I have a question.  It is my understanding that Forest Park gets money from gaming, from the Rivers Casino. 
Why, how does FP get money from the casino, just askin?


There was an agreement made by Rosemont with other DesPlaines river suburbs that split Rosemont's share of Casino revenue among those who signed on in support of their effort. It was basically a "Non-compete" agreement. That signers wouldn't move for their own casino.

I know of no such agreement with DesPlaines for the "Rivers", but anything's possible. You might think such "news" would be public and some mention of the revenues generated would trickle out.

It would be immensely helpful for people to know more about the revenue streams funding their town's operations. Potentially better decisions regarding priorities could be made.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2013 at 9:50am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

There was an agreement made by Rosemont with other DesPlaines river suburbs that split Rosemont's share of Casino revenue among those who signed on in support of their effort. It was basically a "Non-compete" agreement. That signers wouldn't move for their own casino.
No one muscle-in on their territory as long as they're allowed to "wet-their-beaks"? Will they be filming Godfather IV around here any time soon?:)

Edited by logic - 27/October/2013 at 9:58am
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2013 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:


... but I was wondering how many other people have heard that Emanuel "Chris!!!" Welch has announced efforts to lay the groundwork for a full-blown casino at First Avenue and the Ike? 
Gee, Bill, does this mean Welch isn't part of the inner-circle? Would think he surely would have known about the agreement to which watcher refers.
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/October/2013 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:


... but I was wondering how many other people have heard that Emanuel "Chris!!!" Welch has announced efforts to lay the groundwork for a full-blown casino at First Avenue and the Ike? 
Gee, Bill, does this mean Welch isn't part of the inner-circle? Would think he surely would have known about the agreement to which watcher refers.


That "agreement" was with Rosemont which lost its bid for a casino. The Des Plaines sharing agreement provides money to 10 designated suburbs based on "need". Dixmoor, Ford Heights, Hodgkins, Phoenix, Robbins, Harvey, Markham, Riverdale, Summit and Chicago Heights are the suburbs who get money from the deal. How Maywood missed out on the money might have something to do with rumors of seeking their own casino?

The deal that secured the Rivers for DP contains an artificial sweetener for the State of Illinois. A guaranteed extra $10 million in revenue to the state off the top of Des Plaines' share for 30 years. A $300 million bribe? You say tomato...

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:


The deal that secured the Rivers for DP contains an artificial sweetener for the State of Illinois. A guaranteed extra $10 million in revenue to the state off the top of Des Plaines' share for 30 years. A $300 million bribe? You say tomato...
Then no money for FP as was previously posted?
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2013 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:


The deal that secured the Rivers for DP contains an artificial sweetener for the State of Illinois. A guaranteed extra $10 million in revenue to the state off the top of Des Plaines' share for 30 years. A $300 million bribe? You say tomato...
Then no money for FP as was previously posted?


That would appear to be the case. Once Rosemont was eliminated, so was their revenue sharing offer. IIRC, the West Central Municipal Conference was the facilitator of the deal. Hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2013 at 5:51pm
Hmmm.. I'd say there's nothing artificial about $300 million extra. 

People might trust the whole "gaming" complex more if the figures were all public. The legislature just passed a law blocking FOIAs for revenues to specific businesses. You can only get them per municipality. 

What's the problem with transparency? 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 8:24am
I was riding along Route 66, Joliet Rd. recently between Harlem and LaGrange Rd. I saw many signs and banners for 'Vegas Style Gambling', 'Video Slots', 'Video Poker', along the way. I should have counted them.
It seemed every that every bar, lounge, tavern had one, ranging from home-made to the typical Miller/Budweiser banners to flashy LCD signage.
That's a 4 mile stretch of highway with some distance between establishments.

I had to wonder what Mad St. would look like. Just one more aspect of Video Gambling not suited to FoPa.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 9:13am
If you want to see where all the bars are at, take a look at the monthly report.

Illinois Gaming Board
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 10:20am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

If you want to see where all the bars are at, take a look at the monthly report.

Illinois Gaming Board



Thanks. Them is big numbers. $30 million lost each month statewide.

How does the "amount played" end in odd cents? Can someone put 11 cents into the machine?

DBA info would be helpful.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 11:26am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

If you want to see where all the bars are at, take a look at the monthly report.
Illinois Gaming Board

Thanks. Them is big numbers. $30 million lost each month statewide.
How does the "amount played" end in odd cents? Can someone put 11 cents into the machine?
DBA info would be helpful.

I ran the corporations listed with the individual bars. Got some business names and the corporation officers. 

State took in $7,405,677.90. Time 12 means around $89 million annually. Doesn't seem like a great amount in the grand scheme of things. 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 12:33pm
Depending on the game/machine, you can play as little as $.05 on some of them. I think the max bet is $2.00. I was sitting next to guy on Sunday that won $500 on one spin; and another guy the Sunday before that also got $500 on one spin.
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 1:22pm
I don't argue with that, Pie. And I'm not dead set against VG. But that's like saying you know someone who picked a winning lotto ticket. Great. I know a whole hell of a lot more- me included- who have picked losing lotto tickets. 

The state's hard figures on video gambling show lots of money is also being lost. 

State-wide players put nearly $376 million into 10,250 video gambling machines. They got back just over $346 million. 
They lost $29,622,815.90. 

Call it what it is- gambling. People lose a lot of money. That's why so many other people are attracted to the business, because they know that, ultimately, the house always wins. 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 2:32pm
For sure the house wins; otherwise, there would be no Las Vegas!

I was just saying I have first hand seen someone win the top prize; that would never be me as I play $20, bet the minimum and when it's done, so am I. BUT that being said, I still think I should be able to do it in the town I live in. That's all. And because I can't, I take my entertainment money (food, drink, gaming) outside Forest Park. I don't believe I am the only one doing that either (as I run into many other FPers at these places)!

But my $20 doesn't end up looking like $20 to the state. It looks like much much more as you win, you lose, you win some more, you lose some more, until you cash out (or lose the $20).

Edited by piehead - 01/November/2013 at 2:34pm
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

I was riding along Route 66, Joliet Rd. recently between Harlem and LaGrange Rd. I saw many signs and banners for 'Vegas Style Gambling', 'Video Slots', 'Video Poker', along the way. I should have counted them.
It seemed every that every bar, lounge, tavern had one, ranging from home-made to the typical Miller/Budweiser banners to flashy LCD signage.
That's a 4 mile stretch of highway with some distance between establishments.

I had to wonder what Mad St. would look like. Just one more aspect of Video Gambling not suited to FoPa.

FP has a sign ordinance that was many years in the making. LOTS of Planning, Council and consultant time, sweat & research was devoted to it. 
you know, the sign ordinance the VC just gave Dr. Udelman, children's dentist and Calderone campaign contributor a variance for. 
pay to play. those coffers don't fill themselves, you know.
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2013 at 5:40am
This FPer likes the little teeth/big smiles sign. Dr Udelson may be a Calderone contributor but he also provides care for many special needs children whose parents would never be able to pay for it on their own.

Highly doubt ugly signage would be allowed on Madison, not so sure about Roosevelt Rd:)

Edited by logic - 02/November/2013 at 5:44am
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2013 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

State-wide players put nearly $376 million into 10,250 video gambling machines. They got back just over $346 million.They lost $29,622,815.90.


Far better odds than the IL lottery.
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2013 at 7:32am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

This FPer likes the little teeth/big smiles sign. Dr Udelson may be a Calderone contributor but he also provides care for many special needs children whose parents would never be able to pay for it on their own.

Highly doubt ugly signage would be allowed on Madison, not so sure about Roosevelt Rd:)


I'm with you. I like the sign and not quite sure what all the hub bub was about. It works well on the chimney!   

Looks better than all the satellite dishes on the sides of apt. Buildings.....just sayin. Those look ghetto like to me.

Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2013 at 8:58am
ah, yes...such beauty (resides in the eye of the beholder :)

it doesn't matter who likes it or not, but that our village has an ordinance against such signage. except when they don't.
(don't make me bring up the vehicle tag/sticker ord, and who has to display and who doesn't)
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2013 at 9:52am
I know, I know...depends on the sugar givin' factor!
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2013 at 9:55am
Was at Maybrook this week pulling court records and was pleased to see they'd torn down that large warehouse building to the north. There are already new sidewalks installed in preparation for a large parking lot to be built there.

Wondering if that means there's less need for the narrow section of parking lot 200 yards west by 1st Avenue, which would open up that area for redevelopment. Or it just means the county is expanding the parking facility. I talked to one employee at the courthouse who is unhappy that there are plans to start charging for parking at Maybrook.

We'll find out soon enough. 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

We'll find out soon enough.


Site of the new Chris Welch Casino.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2013 at 6:36pm
Yeah. It sure appears like the court house area is being improved to make the west end of the old loooong lot to the north to be reconfigured. 

Possible casino aside, can't say I'd be sorry to see that damn pallet business at the mouth of the driveway entrance gone. Semis back up traffic there all the time. 


Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2013 at 10:11am
I avoid that part of 1st Avenue (just like I avoid (Harlem Avenue)! Just hate the back ups; helps to know alternate streets.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.
A.Lange & Sohne Langematik Tourbillon Replica Watches ,and it must be a dream replica watches. Brand, style, visibility, features are absolutely assiduous, they not only added to their own sort of power in the rolex replica sale, and certainly can bear, "handed down" in the name. Now here is a fantastic choice for you, if you heard of Langematik Tourbillon rolex replica sale , this article will be much helpful to you. The function of a breitling replica sale is no longer confined to more of a symbol used to reflect personal taste. For men, the rolex replica uk is a symbol of their status; the contrary, a woman wearing a replica watches in addition to at the time, the greatest use is decorative, fashion Langematik Tourbillon breitling replica sale , elegance, style, simplicity, there is a pressing vulgarity temperament.