Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The cowardly FP Review trolls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The cowardly FP Review trolls
    Posted: 07/October/2013 at 9:18pm

Well! I’m done posting on the Forest Park Review website. 

Not because I don’t believe the FPR is worth responding to, but because it’s an imperfect medium for carrying on a debate.

I worked at the FPR and Wednesday Journal. I respect their product.

But not their comments board, due to the mindless, simplistic trolls.

If I want to comment on an FPR article now, I’ll post a link to the article with my comments. And if people want to respond to my comments, they can either do so on the FP Forums website, or try to make posts about my FPF posts on the FP Review website.

I seriously doubt the Review editors will allow such posts, but we’ll see.

What swayed me to swear off commenting on the FPR website was a collection of genuinely assinine postings by two vintage representatives of the Forest Park troll culture, web clowns with the monikers of Observer and Trudy.

Trudserver, as I think of them. Or, should that be “Obstrudy”?

You know the type- broken syntax, poor or near absence of punctuation, and most telling, complete detachment from the initial point being made.  

Last Saturday, I committed an apparently egregious sin in the eyes of some by defending the Review for it’s pre-event coverage of the opening of the park district’s new playground. I did so in the wake of webclown “really? From Forest Park,” who ripped into the Review for not sending a reporter and photographer to cover the actual event.

“I would like to thank the FPR for coming out to the ribbon cutting today at the park, lots of kids and families. Oh wait they didnt show up nevermind,” “really?” wrote with Forest Park faux-cleverness and a certain dearth of punctuation (is that sort of literary value type thing taught in Proviso schools?). “But what a nice turnout to (sic) bad the FPR couldnt take the time to come out and cover it!”

Apparently in “really?’s” mind, playground openings call for not just pre-event but event coverage.

Because the Review article was a good article, as I noted, which “ran an article about the playground opening, alerting people to the date and time, providing background on the project, an artist's rendering and quotes the park district exec. director.”

I added at "really?," “Stop being a jerk. They did their job.”

Of course, if we manage to actually identify “really?” I’ll bet a mortgage payment “really?” isn’t an FPR subscriber. IOW, one of those clowns who can’t be bothered supporting a local newspaper, but is happy to criticize how it does its job.

Of course, my response brought out the syntax/punctuation/logic-challenged trolls.

“There's our town wing ding offering his opinion again,” One Trudserver opined like a miffed elementary school girl. “We count on you. To make a comment everything stupid.” 

Cue "Obstrudy," who weighed in with his usual weird mix of grandiosity and oddly worded phrasing that characteristically struggles to make any kind of coherent point. He certainly didn't have any response to my points, just school boy derision.

“Since my "intervention", they have been unraveling over there,” the self-described “6-1, 200 pound” Obstrudy wrote of these here Forest Park Forum webboards. He also suggested I was in some sort of “strange journalistic purgatory,” but that I might one day “be allowed back in.”

Hmmm… if I remember my catechism correctly, purgatory is a place of temporary punishment for venal sins, an opportunity for purification in preparation for ascending into Heaven. You only get there if you die in a state of grace, and you can’t go to hell.

I call that being ahead of the game, so…thanks… Obstrudy. I think.

But, since it was my decision to leave daily journalism in the first place (and there is no weekly journalism anymore in this internet age-brave new world of journalism) I suspect if I ever feel the urge to “be allowed back in,” I’ll do just fine.

I think I'll just keep moving on. 

I’d quote more Trudserver nonsense, but I’m getting bored. Go to the FPR website if you’re interested in their comments. Check out the rest of the articles by the way. It’s a very good weekly newspaper, for educated people who bother to read newspapers.

As I said, anything I have to say about local FoPa stories and issues will be done here. Read it, ignore it, whatever. Your choice.

But any response will have to be made here. Not on the FPR website. If no one cares what I and a few others have to say here, then we’ll be able to see that rather quickly I'd think. 

I doubt the Trudserver trolls will have what it takes, though. At heart, Obstrudy types are cowards, weak in the kidney like a certain supposedly bold and brave local magazine publisher and political action committee treasurer, and a certain rather ineffectual carpetbagging elected official with his own grandiose political aspirations.

The Trudservers like heaving clots of dirt- or worse- in lieu of any intelligent, focused and relevant response to someone else’s argument.

Because they really just can’t, either factually or intellectually. Or under their own identities.

So come on, kiddies, give it a go. You like talking about playgrounds? Let’s play in mine. 

Edited by Bill Dwyer - 07/October/2013 at 9:21pm
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2013 at 9:30pm
Perhaps FPR will change comments to Facebook verified (although those profiles can easily be fudged as well). Those two people have derailed most every single comment thread and I fear scare true commenters away.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Perhaps FPR will change comments to Facebook verified (although those profiles can easily be fudged as well). Those two people have derailed most every single comment thread and I fear scare true commenters away.

That is their goal and purpose. It's a scorched fouled earth strategy that protects the status quo from having to defend its actions. If you can't dazzle `em with brilliance...

At least Bill got them to type "ad hominem" several times. Even if they still don't fully grok its meaning, they at least know what they do is called.

I applaud Bill's decision. I suppose they'll just start another blog. The blogosphere is littered with half-assed attempts by the F.O.T.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2013 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

So come on, kiddies, give it a go. You like talking about
playgrounds? Let’s play in mine.
Bill, highly doubt your invitation to engage will be taken seriously. They probably won't post here for the same reason many others stopped, the fear of being outed. Will be interesting to see how often they can squeeze in a reference to the "FPF coven" now that you won't be posting on the Review anymore:)

Edited by logic - 08/October/2013 at 6:43am
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2013 at 7:26am
Believe this also had a dramatic affect on participation here, remember this Sharon Daly post from Feb 2012?

"Internet and Social Networking Policy (for village employees, officers, officials, etc.)
looks like this will be enforced by the Village Mayor
http://forestpark.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=2&event_id=6&meta_id=572"

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2013 at 10:57am
logic, can't find that February 2012 post by Sharon. Is that from the village site?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2013 at 11:09am
In hot topics, bumped it, pie.
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2013 at 7:34pm
Bill. I have thought about this a bit, I think you would be wrong not to post on FPR just because of the slugs. I don't always agree with what you say but for the most part it makes more sense than the slugs do. It's kind of like me taping the village meetings, they want me to stop and I won't. The slugs want you to stop and if you do they win. You don't have to reply to the idots.
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2013 at 8:17pm
Thanks Jerry. But I'm not stopping. Just switching venues. I know what I'm doing. Will still be commenting on FPR articles/editorials. 

All the supposed hard asses in FoPa don't have the guts to step out into the sunlight. Let's see if they're as ballsy as they like to think they are. 

One of the trolls likes to brag about the "intervention" he's conducted on the FoPa Forums, and how these web boards have been "unravelling." 

We're going to find out who unravels here. My guess is what you'll get from the trolls is silence. I hope not- they're not close to being as smart or clever as they think they are. And I know they aren't as gutsy as they pretend to be. 

Edited by Bill Dwyer - 08/October/2013 at 8:26pm
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
 Post Reply Post Reply