Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FoPa catching on to the trolls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2013 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Observerofdoom Observerofdoom wrote:

@ BC...Not hiding from anything, that's your word not mine.  I don't want my family or friends questioned about my positions or postings...period..... 
this notion struck me when you wrote it in Review comments a few weeks ago. i get that you're trying to differentiate yourself from other anonymous posters who are afraid of real life consequences for their thoughts/ideas e.g. retaliation, but it's really quite the same thing.

interesting piece today from an army officer/writer/blogger:
"Which I think is a pretty good rule for life on the Internet in the 21st Century. If you have not the courage to say something with your own name attached, just admit that you do not really believe in what you are going to say. And don't say it."

Read more: Bateman On Writing Anonymously - A Good Rule For Using The Internet In The 21st Century - Esquire 

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2013 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

If you have not the courage to say something with your own name attached, just admit that you do not really believe in what you are going to say. And don't say it
Sounds great but from my perspective it's not quite that simple. I own my words, any responses good, bad or ugly need be directed to/at me. Personal courage doesn't have a damn thing to do with it, the knowledge that others can suffer the effects of my posts does.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

"Which I think is a pretty good rule for life on the Internet in the 21st Century. If you have not the courage to say something with your own name attached, just admit that you do not really believe in what you are going to say. And don't say it."

I'm reluctant to go read the whole thing due to the complete HORSESHIT of this nugget.

You can establish an identity in a forum like ours. As singular and consistent as one using one's name. You can meet other pseudos out in the meat world and it typically validates rather than conflicts with their online selves.

Those who post "anonymously" using whatever clever pseudo hits them at the moment is a wholly different brand of anonymity.

It's not a matter of courage. This guys brand of courage doesn't jive with real life. If he's incapable of discerning valid statements from trolling, he's either not on the internet enough or simply doesn't like a spectrum of thoughts and ideas. His reflects a very military point of view. The internet contains the complete spectrum from which to choose.
Far more choices and freedom of expression than RL. The resulting distillation of ideas can be scary at times, but it can also be affirming. It can give courage to someone besieged by the bullying reflected in this guy's prescription.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2013 at 5:05pm
it's an interesting (short) piece.  more about not playing both sides of the fence - as a writer, or a professional. that just-fired jerk on the Nat Sec Council comes to mind.  (and i thought Observer might be 'stimulated' to share his great thoughts.)
i have no problem w/anonymity, just weasels. 
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2013 at 5:23am
Poor "weasel", guess he didn't understand the enormous consequences of tweeting what he really thinks.

“I’m abrasive and I bring the snark,” he wrote anonymously on his now-closed Twitter account. “Unapologetically says what everyone else only thinks” on “the foreign policy and national security scene.”
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Poor "weasel", guess he didn't understand the enormous consequences of tweeting what he really thinks.

“I’m abrasive and I bring the snark,” he wrote anonymously on his now-closed Twitter account. “Unapologetically says what everyone else only thinks” on “the foreign policy and national security scene.”

Do you think "anonymity" is worthy of its own topic?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2013 at 6:52pm
Didn't we have an anonymity topic or off-topic about 100 yrs ago? Remember a post, from some long departed FPF contributor (female I think?), about the VALUE of anonymity, it was pretty accurate and well-written.

Edited by logic - 25/October/2013 at 6:54pm
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2013 at 6:33pm
What I find interesting, when Bill doesn't post in the Review, niether do Observer or Eddie the P
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2013 at 7:48pm
Sorry, Jerry. Wish it was true, but they do still post there. The assholes can't help it. Like my dogs suddenly dragging their butts against the living room carpet.  

They're going after Sharon Daly now. 

Edited by Bill Dwyer - 07/November/2013 at 7:48pm
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2013 at 8:50pm
Must have missed it
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2013 at 6:22am
Originally posted by jerry jerry wrote:

Must have missed it

and now you have one of your own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12