Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Senior Citizen/Assisted Living in Forest Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Senior Citizen/Assisted Living in Forest Park
    Posted: 25/October/2013 at 9:53am
Logic pointed out in the video poker topic that "there is going to be a huge need for senior/assisted living facilities". That seems like a fine topic for discussion and inclusion in the Comprehensive Plan Ver. 2.

I've always thought FoPa has exceptional senior services that allow seniors to remain independent in their own homes. It's been a recognized "function" of community here for decades. Are there new senior needs that are going unmet?

Being a senior has certainly not gotten any easier. There seem to be new hoops to jump through on an almost daily basis. Judging by the advertisements I get from AARP and see on tv, there's no shortage of folks "dedicated" to serving this demographic. There's so much "help" out there that it can be difficult to sort through it all.

I've known enough seniors to know they are fiercely committed to maintaining their autonomy, but most realize that can't do that alone.
How much help is needed varies widely. How much help is acceptable or expected also needs to be explored. Seniors, in general, aren't shy about voicing their concerns, but it's sometimes unclear if anyone is listening.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2013 at 5:18pm
Just returned from Rush/OakPark, there was a representative of the Village there just to touch base with a new patient. He was asked if he would need assistance following discharge. They would provide people to shop, clean, run errands, "anything you may need for 2 wks free of charge". Think she said any OP resident over 60 was eligible. Do we have any programs like that?

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2013 at 7:04am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Just returned from Rush/OakPark, there was a representative of the Village there just to touch base with a new patient. He was asked if he would need assistance following discharge. They would provide people to shop, clean, run errands, "anything you may need for 2 wks free of charge". Think she said any OP resident over 60 was eligible. Do we have any programs like that?

Proviso Twp and the Community Center both offer services. I've heard many stories over the years about "quiet assistance" via the Comm. Center providing "anything you may need", even things not on the normal menu and not limited to seniors.

Oak Park Twp's senior services are well-funded and accessible, but can be a bit invasive and bossy and limited to "approved needs". We tried to use them for my M-I-L and ran into "red tape".

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2013 at 8:01am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

I've heard many stories over the years about "quiet assistance" via the Comm. Center providing "anything you may need", even things not on the normal menu and not limited to seniors.

Oak Park Twp's senior services are well-funded and accessible, but can be a bit invasive and bossy and limited to "approved needs". We tried to use them for my M-I-L and ran into "red tape".
I know the Town of Cicero also provides that same "quiet assistance" to needy seniors, sometimes far above and beyond what most would consider normal guidelines. They take good care of their senior citizens, have never heard of them being intrusive. Senior citizens= big voting bloc, you take care of them, they will inevitably take care of .... and no, I'm not inferring that is the main reason for providing extensive senior care.

Edited by logic - 26/October/2013 at 8:08am
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

I know the Town of Cicero also provides that same "quiet assistance" to needy seniors, sometimes far above and beyond what most would consider normal guidelines. They take good care of their senior citizens, have never heard of them being intrusive. Senior citizens= big voting bloc, you take care of them, they will inevitably take care of .... and no, I'm not inferring that is the main reason for providing extensive senior care.

Maybe you won't infer that, but I will imply it. The Cicero model was based on Auggie Tadeo's Proviso program. Betty went above and beyond. She was beloved by Cicero's seniors. Dominick tried to continue and maybe now, has again, locked up the senior vote, but he had to allow attrition to remove the Betty bloc.

These official "services" have all but supplanted the neighbor helping neighbor and church-based "needs" assistance, but on many of our blocks, the old ways remain the first line of defense.

Now that the "market" isn't demanding that seniors be encouraged to make their homes available to fill demand, we're in new territory. It's like an older reality, but complicated by the altered (more expensive) landscape. In some areas, housing swaps between empty nesters and growing families are becoming more common. Often brokered by friends and family.

As the much-maligned 'boomers' have moved into the senior ranks, it's gotten interesting. The generation gap is back, but very different this time.

Post Reply Post Reply