Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Letters to The Editor, editorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connie Custardo's LTEs and their ripples

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connie Custardo's LTEs and their ripples
    Posted: 13/November/2013 at 1:20pm
Her original August Letter to the Editor generated 303 comments, brought Obstrudy into the light, elicited passions and confusions regarding our "high school problem" and got people talking, once again, about FoPa and D209. This time with the added element of the PMSA option. Granted that more than half the comments were gratuitous personal attacks and senseless rantings, still...

When I read her follow-up LTE I half expected even more reaction since it added the harmful trickle down effects and tied it to the comprehensive plan rewrite. After a week of no comments, I gave the sleeping dog a gentle nudge. SOS.

Today's Review is chock full of D209 related ripples begun back in August. For that Connie deserves credit and praise. While she's been a consistent questioner of D209s efforts, she has not been a player in the decades long periodic flare-ups of the "debate".

D91 has officially explored some options. SB member Sean Blaylock has offered a parable. The Review's speaking with some editorial spine.
Sharon Daly ties in the 52% renter element... Clearly, the wheels are squeaking. Better late than never.

Will D209 respond in any meaningful way in next week's paper? Will there be a special edition/section of "Proviso Rising" to present the district's side of the story?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2013 at 2:38pm
An amen on Connie's two LTEs. Kudos. It helped that a long-time Forest Parker and school board member felt he had to leave town due to D209. 

We'll see if this is a case of better late than never, or too little too late. 

That said, I will be puzzling out Blaylock's column for some time to come. He could have said what he wanted in a third as many words or less. The parable was just silly. And the idea that our neighbors are "anyone in need" is nonsense. 

Blaylock writes of "disgruntled naysayers keyboard(ing) away on internet message boards claiming there are no public high school education options for Forest Park," then asks "Why don't Forest Park residents take an active ownership stake in what we fund annually?!?"

Well, Sean, because for year now the D209 board has routinely ignored anyone who sought to inject any ideas into the discussion that didn't comport with what people like Chris Welch and Ron Serpico wanted. And leaders here in Forest Park enabled them. 

Finally, I'd really appreciate it if Blaylock would interpret what he means by "The position of my platform should not be leveraged to re-visit any overt or hidden tensions fostered by the dynamic wave of diversity flowing into our near west suburban alcove." Wahhhh?

Edited by Bill Dwyer - 13/November/2013 at 2:38pm
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2013 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

Finally, I'd really appreciate it if Blaylock would interpret what he means by "The position of my platform should not be leveraged to re-visit any overt or hidden tensions fostered by the dynamic wave of diversity flowing into our near west suburban alcove." Wahhhh?
he doesn't want to include race in the discussion, and doesn't want anyone else to either. at least not via his parable.

agree, watcher, on the powerhouse Review this week. the stars aligned, cause it sure wasn't planned. a little quiet over there, don't you think?

Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2013 at 11:54am
I'm pleased, Sharon. An actual dialogue has begun. The kind that occurs in healthy communities all the time. 

Congrats on helping start it without incurring any unnecessary printing and mailing costs, like some people. Now, if you can help facilitate the inclusion of a strong set of facts- the village would be a huge help with that- we'll be headed somewhere productive.  

Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2013 at 12:43pm
alas, our Bldg Dept won't start keeping pesky facts in a trackable manner (electronically) until Jan 2014. better late than never?

someone just emailed me "is our SF rental rate of 15% high? and if that was partly due to foreclosures?"
it is high - Maywood's is 13%, Berwyn and Bellwd are about 8.5% and OPs under 4%.  i got no answers. Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply