Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 Street Wings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 Street Wings
    Posted: 17/December/2013 at 7:50am
I went to 12 Street Wings last night with my 19 year old son, it's on Roosevelt Road at Marengo.

I have to say that I was impressed! I did not go into the place when it was the old bar, Tonic, but it's completely re-done and looks really nice. VERY CLEAN including the bathrooms.

I have to say the staff was so incredibly nice, it was a complete surprise. "Ole" AKA Orlando was the bartender, super nice guy. Varun (Sounds like Maroon with a V) is one of the owners, great guy. My son is going to SIU right now, and he graduated from Carbondale with two majors and two minors, then to Northwestern for a business degree.

Anyways, we got the wings and a Cesar salad. 12 deep fried "hot" wings, and 12 grilled wings with two different sauces.

First off, these wings ARE NOT FROZEN. That's a great thing. We couldn't eat 24 of them, we at 19 of them and took 5 home. They are much bigger/juicier/more filling as compared to frozen wings that almost all wing places serve.

The "hot" sauce was a classic Buffalo sauce with more kick to it and more depth of flavor as compared to a standard sauce. They make it themselves, and I approve!

The grilled wings came with Cilantro Lime which is described as: A creamy blend of cilantro, lime, and jalapeno that brings out a whole new level of freshness that hard to beat! It was very good, not hot.

The second flavor was Mango Habanero which is described as: You better Belize it! A signature sauce made with Belizean habanero sauce, feel the burn then savor the sweet.

OMG it was hot! It made my face flush for a few minutes! It's a creeper! Not for the faint of heart.

They also have garlic parmesan, honey BBQ, naked, mild buffalo.

They have fresh (not frozen) burgers with hand cut fries, salads and chicken sandwiches. Desserts too.

I would highly recommend this place for wings or a burger, it's clean, it's new, the people who own it really want you there.

All the details and some pictures are here:

https://www.facebook.com/12thStreetWings
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2013 at 8:06am
Thanks Paul! I've been meaning to make the trip over to check it out. Now I might get past Smokin' M's all the way to 12th Street Wings.

If you don't mind me asking, since you included it...
Your son is only 19, but has two bachelors, a business degree and is now @ SIU?
Wow! You must be proud of him!

One more note, the house/porch look great!
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2013 at 8:16am
It's the guy who owns the place, Varun, who has the undergrad degrees from SIU, then the graduate degree from Northwestern. He was telling war stories about SIU with my son who is a sophomore studying civil engineering.

Thanks for the compliment on the house! Been lots of work, in the end, happy I did it myself.

We are thinking of painting the siding a different color in the spring, switching it to a grey. Not sold on the blue. But we get lots and lots of compliments.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2013 at 11:10am
We made a trek there their opening week. I'm not a wing person but love chicken. I had one of their wraps w/the cilantro lime sauce. The chicken was nice and moist and flavorful. The housemade potato chips were delicious as well. Hubby had a chicken sandwich w/the buffalo sauce and he thoroughly enjoyed it as well, his with the housemade fries. Delicious as well.

The beer is a tad pricey for Miller Lite; just means not a bar they want people to come hang out in and drink beyond their meals (my opinion only).

We will be back and I want to try the habanaro mango sauce! I love hot.
Iceman View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2013 at 2:16pm
I was happy to find out that 12th St Wings delivers their great wings! Their delivery hours are 11am to midnight daily. Give them a try, it's a great alternative! 708-689-0703
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2013 at 2:59pm
Good to see this location become something beneficial to FoPa and not a trouble spot anymore. Not a huge chicken wings fan, but I'll definitely check it out soon. 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
 Post Reply Post Reply