Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Home Repair and Improvement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Privacy Fence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omnipotent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Privacy Fence
    Posted: 25/May/2014 at 6:50pm
Our house is recessed into the rear of the yard and we have a front yard fence instead of a back yard fence, as the majority of the FP houses have. My question is, will I have any problem installing a wooden privacy Fence (6ft) and removing the existing fence that goes up to about 5ft from the front side walk and up and down both neighbors yards?

Any feedback would help, I have zero clue about this.

Edited by Omnipotent - 25/May/2014 at 6:52pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/May/2014 at 8:14am
You will probably need to contact the village building dept. as I couldn't time anything about placement in the village codes. I know there are rules for fences in front yards but didn't see it in codes.

You can go to forestpark.net and look through village codes there .
Omnipotent View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omnipotent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/May/2014 at 8:15pm
Thank you
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/May/2014 at 9:15pm
IIRC, a fence cannot extend beyond the required setback on front of the house. You can "repair" an existing front fence, but cannot replace it.

Good luck!

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/May/2014 at 9:29pm
"No fences shall be hereafter built or erected between the front setback line of the buildings except natural fences of hedge, trees or shrubbery. (Ord. O-9-93, 3-8-1993)"

http://sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=422§ion_id=903606
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omnipotent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2014 at 11:11am
The house actually sits on the alley, so there is no "back yard".  The front yard is the back yard and 3/4 is a iron rod fence that borders the southern neighbor and the front of the street and 1/4 is an older wooden fence that borders the north neighbor  .
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2014 at 12:59pm
You definitely need to contact the village for a yeah/nay on your options.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Omnipotent Omnipotent wrote:

The house actually sits on the alley, so there is no "back yard".  The front yard is the back yard and 3/4 is a iron rod fence that borders the southern neighbor and the front of the street and 1/4 is an older wooden fence that borders the north neighbor  .

My advice would be to "repair" the fence. Board by board until you once again have a serviceable fence. As written, the ordinance precludes building dept or zoning board waiving it.

If you had a corner lot, you could use the mayor's address change finnagle to get the fence you want. The only front fence I can think of being built is at the "new" corner house @ Dunlop & Yuba. Again, it's on a corner, so the "front" of the house was on Yuba not Dunlop and the fence was built where everyone else's front yard is. The house next door built a garage and driveway in the front yard. I disremember the approval process that permitted that.

Are the homes on either side of you "normal" homes with back yards? If so, they could apply for the fence permits, leaving only the front section to deal with.

Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omnipotent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2014 at 1:43am
Yes watcher, the other two homes are "normal" the opposite of ours.
So we can pull fence permits for our side fences, the front might be an issue.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2014 at 8:29am

Yes watcher, the other two homes are "normal" the opposite of ours.
So we can pull fence permits for our side fences, the front might be an issue.

There could have been a valid reason for banning front yard fences in 1993.
IIRC, the reasoning was to preserve an open feel in our neighborhoods and prevent unsightly stockade/security fences lining the streets. It was a pre-emptive strike? I seem to remember some discussion about our back of the lot houses losing their options. You might want to search the Review's archives for coverage of the issue.

I've often wondered if our "Back of the Lot" homeowners should form some kind of organization to deal with shared issues, for redress of grievance and to work for reasonable accommodations. It seems to come up often enough on an individual basis. It could be made part of the comprehensive plan discussions?

jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2014 at 4:15pm
Omni, The last time this subject came before the ZBA it was denied, it was a few years back so I forget why. I assume it had to do with that type of fence is not allowed in the front yard. Call Steve Glinke he could tell you for sure.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2014 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by jerry jerry wrote:

Omni, The last time this subject came before the ZBA it was denied, it was a few years back so I forget why. I assume it had to do with that type of fence is not allowed in the front yard. Call Steve Glinke he could tell you for sure.

That might have been 947 Dunlop? NW corner of Dunlop and Harvard.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omnipotent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2014 at 9:57pm
Thank you. I'm dreading this but I'll let you all know how it turns out.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2015 at 3:52pm

Thank you. I'm dreading this but I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Since you surfaced, I'd thought I'd nudge you for an update. How's the fence?

Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omnipotent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2015 at 12:36am
Funny story.  I have not inquired.  I've been too busy with work to even think about it

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 8:18am

Funny story.  I have not inquired.  I've been too busy with work to even think about it

I missed this in the election hubbub. Sorry and glad to hear you're busy with work. Also sorry if this has reminded you of your fencing plans.<g>
It's often nice when circumstances divert our attention.

Post Reply Post Reply