Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Republicans get their wish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Republicans get their wish
    Posted: 10/June/2014 at 8:59pm
Eric Cantor loses his primary race. It's just so heart warming when they get their wish regarding term limits.
Wondering how Eric feels about his term being limited. 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2014 at 9:13pm
Gee Bill, I I thought you knew the difference between term limits and being voted out of office, guess I was wrong. I know you have a problem with Republicans because they are all corruted and dishonst. That being said I guess you are in favor of how mCrook County and the state are being run.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2014 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by jerry jerry wrote:

Gee Bill, I I thought you knew the difference between term limits and being voted out of office, guess I was wrong. I know you have a problem with Republicans because they are all corruted and dishonst. That being said I guess you are in favor of how mCrook County and the state are being run.

Will you explain the significant difference between, say, a Crook County Democrat and a DuPage County Republican? Or an Illinois Democrat and a Texas Republican?

Democrat/Republican are labels, not brands. The labels contain no nutritional information.

Because of Cantor's primary defeat, two novice politicians -professors, from the same small college- will face off for the Virginia 7th seat under a national spotlight.

Eric Cantor stepped down as majority leader either for the good of the party, or to concentrate on his transition to his next job as a lobbyist.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2014 at 10:15pm
You know better than that, Jerry. I've ripped into Mike Madigan on numerous occasions, and other corrupt Cook County Democrats. Stroger, Ron Serpico, Welch, numerous others. Try another tack. 

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2014 at 10:16pm
And Jerry? Cantor wasn't voted out of office. He was knocked off the Republican ballot. Understand that difference?
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2014 at 9:21am
Bill, I understand the difference but the results are the same, the voters said no. And guys, a crook is a crook no matter what their party is or where they are from. I know you both know this yet lately I have begun to wonder. 
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2014 at 9:53am
Ok, Jerry, I'll bite. If you know that watcher and I "know this," then what exactly is making you wonder of late? Be specific. 
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2014 at 10:37am
Bill, I am going to have to think on this and maybe do some reading
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2014 at 12:23pm
Ok. Ready to hear how I or watcher have shifted our individual views on political corruption to such an extent that you've now begun to wonder.
Because I've been pretty consistent in my bi-partisan criticism. As has watcher. 
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2014 at 8:54pm
Guys, sorry about the slight delay, but I did want to go back over some of the things that have been posted in the past and I have been a bit under the weather.  Yes, you are both consistent on your bi partisan criticism but Bill I have noticed that you get on your soap box when it comes to Republicans. 
No matter how bad a Democrat is a Republican is so much worse. I believe it was Will Rodgers that said Republicans spend their money to get in office and the Democrats spend the taxpayers money to stay in office. While I am sure that you may have said some nice about a Republican some where along the way I couldn't find it. It makes me remember when I was working for Rory and one of his supporters came in and almost had a heart attack when I said I was a Republican. Rory told her I was doing what he needed me to do and had got him a few votes. To me sometimes that how I see you react, I may be miss reading you, but that's how it seems. Remember, you wrote about me twice, once you could have made me look realy bad. You didn't though, you took what I said and made it into what I meant. The second time you jumped on me with both feet and kicked me a couple of times just to make sure I staid down. You wrote what you thought you saw in me. Believe it or not that is not a critizium, just what I saw.

God I hate typing.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2014 at 9:10pm
Sorry you've felt abused, Jerry. You know me, and you know I like and respect you. Just didn't like what you said at the time when I fired on you. That's honest political dialogue. Fire away back. I'm fine with it. 
Tell you what, I'll give my response the same time and thoughtfulness you gave. I'll get back to you with a full response.
But know this: I've waited my whole life to find something in the GOP liturgy to accept and trust, and have found precious little. Even volunteered at a very limited level for John Anderson's primary presidential campaign- fed up with Tip O'Neill mindless Democrat dogma. Voted for Jim Thompson once. For Jim Edgar twice. For Judy Barr Topinka. 
I'm open minded, whatever some say. But for all their bullshit- and man oh, there's bullshit- the Dems at least embody hope. The GOP sold their souls a long time ago, and clothe themselves in piety to disguise their f-in' greed and distain for the larger part of society. It's why lying pieces of crap like Chris Welch can find a claw hold in the Democratic party. 
Back to my cigar and bourbon on the deck. Let's keep talking.
I'm a writer. I like typing. 

Edited by Bill Dwyer - 16/June/2014 at 9:14pm
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2014 at 9:12pm
Quick note, Jerry. Will Rodgers was a unique wit and social/political commentator, but he was focused on a time 80 years gone. My references are by choice more recent. 
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2014 at 10:46pm
Bill, I know you believe what you wrote, and like I said I had no problem with it.
I know Will was 80 years ago, but haven't things really changed that much. Ok, we have the Teabaggers that have proved time and time again they don't know anything about history while claiming they do. And Dems go downstate poor and come rich back, not a lot of difference is there.

I took typing in H.S. but I can't spell for beans and my typing skill has departed,yuk.
I may think about the bourbon but the cigars are out, miss them though.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2014 at 7:45am

Guys, sorry about the slight delay, but I did want to go back over some of the things that have been posted in the past and I have been a bit under the weather.  Yes, you are both consistent on your bi partisan criticism

There is a distinct difference between bi-partisan criticism and "both sider-ism". One is natural, the other manufactured.

We presently have both the government and the media we "deserve"; driven by the same monied influences.

FWIW, a check of the ledgers reveals that Ds are bought more cheaply than Rs? But it's too easy to push a false equality in agendas and actions due to the fracked up rules adopted, adapted and tweaked since 1983 that put us, incrementally, into our present situation.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2014 at 12:10pm
Jerry, try this little experiment. As you're watching the "news", watch/listen for the required "both siderism" in all things. Once you notice it, you'll see how pervasive it is.

It's been said that Dick Cheney could be caught roasting kittens on his gas grill and the first words out of David Gregory's mouth would be "but the democrats!"

jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2014 at 11:05pm
Watcher, I kind of thought that's what I was saying and I agree about the government and media. One of the reasons I listen to new radio is TV news has been in the tank for years. While it is nice to have a little fluff it has become mostly fluff and the same stories repeated all day. Even their hard hitting stories a lame maost of the time. 
Of coarse the D's get less than the R's, they have more so they need more it only makes sense.
The first time I voted it was Demo., then McGovern ran for office and to win he was more than happy to sale out the POW's and his running mate Eagleton, this is not the man who should have been running the country. I despied Nixon but I felt I didn't have a choice but to vote for him. I felt Ford would have done OK with a second term, I think he voted more spending bills than most presidents do in 8 years.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 12:02am
For the record, McGovern was a WW II bomber pilot who flew 35 bombing missions over the most lethal routes in Germany, facing flak the size of softballs, that tore chunks out of his B-24.
The GOP attacked him of the basis on ONE mission he declined- which was every pilot's right- ignoring a documented heroic record of courageous service. He was the original "swift boat" b.s. victim. McGovern damn near got his f-ing head blown off on numerous occasions, while the Republican candidate Nixon never saw a moment of combat, never once put his own punk ass in harms way.
Do the damn research before you disparage George McGovern. He was against useless war, not the American citizens who selflessly put their asses on the line fighting for their country. F the Republicans and their self-serving crap, Jerry.

Edited by Bill Dwyer - 18/June/2014 at 12:02am
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 5:16am
So Bill, what you are telling me is that his plan to end the war before the POW's were brought home wasn't and he did not dump Eagleton as a running mate. Because it sure sounded that way when I heard him speak  And Bill, there were R's that put there asses on the line too, died or became POW's. 

I guess you missed the part where I said I dispised Nixon, I know exactly what he was, walking pile of excrement. He was part of the anti communestment and supported the House Committee on Un-American Activeties. I asked my father when I was nine what is an un American activity having seen a session on TV, he just said Bullshit.

Bill, we could have ended Viet Nam in the 50's and didn't. A Demo got us more involved followed by another who got us more involved so bussiness could make more money. Then we have another one who is going to end the war and then talk about getting the POW's released. The words came out of his mouth, I was listening to him speak, his words not some R asshole. 

But Bill, this what I was talking about, sometimes you get a little rabid when it comes to Republicans, not that Nixon doesn't deserve it.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 8:50am
Sometimes I "get a little rabid when it comes to Republicans, not that Nixon doesn't deserve it." Well, which is it Jerry? 

The Republicans who smeared McGovern weren't the ones who put their asses on the line. What the hell Eagleton has to do with anything I don't know. 

Kennedy wanted less involvement, not more. Johnson swallowed the kool-laid in gulps, and it destroyed his presidency. Then for six years we watched Nixon lie through his teeth about the war. 

McGovern was a good man and a war hero who risked his life bombing heavily defended German industrial sites. The assholes in the GOP attack machine made him out to be a weak-willed pacifist when he was anything but that. If I sound "rabid," then so be it. Couldn't care less. 

Edited by Bill Dwyer - 18/June/2014 at 11:44am
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 10:52am

Watcher, I kind of thought that's what I was saying and I agree about the government and media. One of the reasons I listen to new radio is TV news has been in the tank for years. While it is nice to have a little fluff it has become mostly fluff and the same stories repeated all day. Even their hard hitting stories a lame most of the time.

I'm just not sure either is helpful without either a deeper understanding or broader knowledge of the subjects being reported.
What you're exposed to via the media requires some kind of relational database for evaluation. Part of that is remembering what has been said/done in the past. (like YESTERDAY?) Else you get velocitized to the blur and hear stuff without processing it.

Of coarse the D's get less than the R's, they have more so they need more it only makes sense.
The first time I voted it was Demo., then McGovern ran for office and to win he was more than happy to sale out the POW's and his running mate Eagleton, this is not the man who should have been running the country. I despied Nixon but I felt I didn't have a choice but to vote for him. I felt Ford would have done OK with a second term, I think he voted more spending bills than most presidents do in 8 years.

"Amnesty, abortion and acid". Before the POG had Faux Noise to LIE and shill for them, there was "The prince of darkness", syndicated columnist, Robert Novak. Where Bill Buckley was actually interested genuine in debate and discussion thinking his clear superiority would triumph, Novak was the architect of the authority/patsy genre in tv news. He had no shame whatsoever.

I keep waiting for the ghosts and sins to be acknowledged and reconciled. Without that, we're consigned to the rut we've been in since. Instead, we get a running revisionism of American exceptionalism and meaningless "record setting/breaking" garbage that average people cannot comprehend.
We need a "time-out" for reflection and reconciliation of our trajectory to determine if where we're going is really someplace anyone wants to go.

That's been rendered impossible and the beat goes on...

"not my circus; not my monkeys".

Edited by watcher - 18/June/2014 at 10:53am
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 3:26pm
Sometimes I "get a little rabid when it comes to Republicans, not that Nixon doesn't deserve it." Well, which is it Jerry? 

I haven't quite figured out the box thing. Bill, I haved to makr my feelings on Nixon clear, but I guess not.

The Republicans who smeared McGovern weren't the ones who put their asses on the line. What the hell Eagleton has to do with anything I don't know. 

What does Eagleton have to do with it, instead of defending the man McG. dropped him like a hot potato. I don't care what kind of war hero he was, he was willing to sell out U.S. POW's to get elected, I am not OK with that and you shouldn't be either. What he did in WW!! has no bering on what he did when running for office.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 4:34pm
Oh, bullshit, Jerry. McGovern didn't sell out any POWs. And his only mistake with Eagleton was picking him in the first place, w/o being aware of the man's long history of mental illness. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 6:32pm

What does Eagleton have to do with it, instead of defending the man McG. dropped him like a hot potato. I don't care what kind of war hero he was, he was willing to sell out U.S. POW's to get elected, I am not OK with that and you shouldn't be either. What he did in WW!! has no bering on what he did when running for office.

Eagleton should have declined the VP slot. It was only offered to him after everybody else did. But Eagleton actually had a reason to say no. His multiple "nervous breakdowns" and several courses of eltro-shock therapy made him an unwise pick. His open disrespect for GMGovern was well-documented. On McG's part sharing the ticket with him was proof of his open-mindedness and ability to work with anyone, but he didn't know about Eagleton's mental illnesses until the doctors who treated him expressed serious reservations about him being a heartbeat away from the presidency.

A recurring fault in the D strategy is allowing the Rs to use their dog whistles and not fight back. In presidential elections Ds have refused to engage when the Rs throw their narrow-minded bullshit and jargon at the D candidate. Happened to Kennedy,Johnson, Humphrey, McGovern, Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, Gore, Kerry and Obama. Same shit, different election year.

Where did you glean that McGovern was selling out our POWs? Was it part of his platform? No, it was projected onto him by repetitive agitprop.
Why? Because in Nixon's paranoid mind, McGovern might cut a deal with Hanoi as an October surprise and get our POWs released. Because that's when he'd do if he were in McGovern's place. (It's in the transcipts of Nixon's tapes.)

So the question becomes, how did Nixon's projection onto McGovern become the accepted version of "history"? Musta been that liberal media eh? Nah, pure revisionism...

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2014 at 9:14pm
Ironic, in that it was the Rs and Henry Kissinger who pulled the "October Surprise" gambit with his cynical "Peace is at hand" pronouncement in late October, 1972. 

jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2014 at 8:49pm
Watcher, I remember Buckley, never heard of Novak. I believe you are right, we are stuck with a system that no longer works and most people don't care. Heck, look at this town, I think we are a prime examble of how things work in this country.

This may be of some interest, I was at a CAC meeting today and heard the guy from Bellwood who was paid over 500,000 dollars controlls what is going on in Schiller Park. I don't remember his name, but I guess he is under federal indictment.

jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2014 at 8:58pm
Bill, we can go around about this from know till the cows come home, I know what I heard the man say, not what someone else said. As for Eagleton, my understanding was the problems he had were when he was younger and were no longer a problem. Since I was no longer reading the printed news all the info I had came from TV.

Never read the tapes, but yes he was a paranoid son of a bitch and did not get what he deserved.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2014 at 7:23am

Watcher, I remember Buckley, never heard of Novak. I believe you are right, we are stuck with a system that no longer works and most people don't care. Heck, look at this town, I think we are a prime examble of how things work in this country.

This may be of some interest, I was at a CAC meeting today and heard the guy from Bellwood who was paid over 500,000 dollars controlls what is going on in Schiller Park. I don't remember his name, but I guess he is under federal indictment.

That you've "never heard of Novak" is indicative of the problem. He was a syndicated columnist (300 newspapers?) whose last contribution was the outing of Valerie Plame. He was THE "I'm not saying...people are saying", unnamed sources guy who co-hosted CNN's "Crossfire" with Paul Begala. His "truth" goes marching on?

Yeah, Schiller Park is Roy McCampbell's latest "hobby". He is currently/still under indictment for his activities in Bellwood. Roy McCampbell's Indictment
He's a bit of an agitator in SP through his blog or, what was attempted here with the Proviso Insider, Turd Squid, FPPW, Reviewing the Review and other websites.

But this place is Eeeeee-vil?

jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2014 at 9:24am
Watcher, when got home in 68 I still read papers, usually what ever someone bought to work. By 69 I had pretty much stopped, way to depressing, tv news was better in those days, but I didn't watch it  daily. 

The young lady who told me about him was at some meeting, said he took down her name and plate number. I guess he thought she was a union rep for the teachers.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2014 at 1:20pm

Watcher, when got home in 68 I still read papers, usually what ever someone bought to work. By 69 I had pretty much stopped, way to depressing, tv news was better in those days, but I didn't watch it daily.

The young lady who told me about him was at some meeting, said he took down her name and plate number. I guess he thought she was a union rep for the teachers.

Most of the Special Ed staff at D81 resigned because they were tired of being bullied by McCampbell. He's sued the district several times over his kids' IEPs and placements. He's a piece of work turd blossom who has "organized" to demean, belittle and criticize anyone who he decides. He routinely takes down plate numbers or has someone taking pictures of who attends, who speaks out etc. He's divided the town and made life miserable for everyone.(except him. He seems to enjoy it.)

His blog consists page after page of twisted questions.

Corporate consolidation of our media limits the scope of the news that's reported and frames any debate within acceptable "paper or plastic" thinking that eliminates "reuseable" from consideration. People aren't really allowed to choose anything that hasn't been rigged by narrowing the available options. Peace is no longer even mentioned.
Health care? Obamacare or NOTHING! Single-payer has been wiped from existence. Public Education? Choice and Charters(privitization). Everything else is an utter failure. Edward Bernays would be so proud!
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2014 at 10:30am
Watcher, This guy is unbelievable, how come he is working in Forest Park?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>