Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People renting out rooms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People renting out rooms
    Posted: 26/July/2014 at 8:09am
Saw a piece on the news this morning about folks renting out rooms in their homes. What do you think about this? Looks like one woman has multiple units in Forest Park. Would this need a license? Do you want different neighbors every night?

Airbnb

Edited by piehead - 26/July/2014 at 8:11am
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2014 at 12:32pm
For the amount of money she's asking, doubt a background check is included, how far in advance do these spaces need to be booked? Don't know who my neighbors are every night now, seriously. Don't remember where, but had read an article about people renting out their bathrooms to tourists.

Edited by logic - 26/July/2014 at 12:36pm
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2014 at 3:53pm
Pie, ask Chief Glinke, he could give you what info youm reguire.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2014 at 11:32pm
Just seems like some sort of license should be required to turn your properties into hotels.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2014 at 8:29am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Just seems like some sort of license should be required to turn your properties into hotels.

Any rental activity can require a business license, even in non-home rule communities, even under the commission form. Beyond licensing it becomes a matter of enforcement.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
greatauntoftriplets View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2014 at 9:12am
Licensing likely would depend on the jurisdiction.

A friend traveled through Mexico in the spring using this service and loved it, FWIW.
Round the world, the truth will echo.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2014 at 10:04am
Originally posted by greatauntoftriplets greatauntoftriplets wrote:

Licensing likely would depend on the jurisdiction.

A friend traveled through Mexico in the spring using this service and loved it, FWIW.

Much like the current ride-share app confusion rippling around Chicago, "home-sharing" too has been taken high-tech. Rooms to rent in private homes have always been around, advertised on bulletin boards where the need exists. The market is driven largely by local conditions. A lack of traditional hotel space, (or acceptable hotel accommodations i.e. not seedy, transient hellholes) encourages alternatives in the private sector by people looking to augment their income/meet their expenses.

College students, short/long-term housing for medical treatment, curious leisure travelers, short-term job and/or relocation... there are countless legitimate reasons for these niche services.

The line between licensed and approved providers and those operating in an entrepreneurial, private marketplace exists in many different pursuits. The extent of an underground/black market becomes a concern when it impacts health and safety either through tragedy or problems with occupants. If there's a buck to be made, both good and bad practitioners will attempt to make that buck.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2014 at 10:20am
B. Bed And Breakfast Inns And Hotels:

1. Intent: To provide temporary travelers' accommodations and breakfast, for a fee, on a daily or weekly room rental basis, as an accessory use in an existing structure designed for and occupied as a single-family residence, or for facilities designed or retrofitted for hotel or motel use.

2. Standards:

a. Minimal outward modification of the structure or grounds may be made, but only if such changes are compatible with the character of the area or neighborhood and the intent of the zoning district in which it is located. The architectural integrity and arrangement of existing interior spaces must be maintained and the number of guestrooms shall not be increased, except as may be required to meet health, safety, and sanitation requirements.

b. Off street parking shall be provided. The front yard shall not be used for off street parking for temporary guests unless the parking area is screened, and designed to be compatible with the neighborhood.

c. There must be at least five hundred (500) square feet of gross interior floor area for each rental unit. The maximum potential rental units shall be determined by dividing the gross interior floor area of the structure by five hundred (500) square feet. (Ord. O-71-09, 12-14-2009)

Those facilities providing service to more than six (6) guests are not considered "license exempt" under state law and must comply with state hotel/motel restaurant licensing procedures. (Ord. O-71-09, 12-14-2009; amd. Ord. O-7-10, 2-8-2010)

d. One on premises sign may be approved by the village, provided that such sign is compatible with residential uses and is not more than five (5) square feet in size.

e. All necessary village, county, and state permits, certifications, or requirements shall be obtained as a condition of approval of a bed and breakfast service.

f. Room rentals to families or individuals shall not exceed fourteen (14) consecutive days.

g. The Cook County health department shall be required to conduct a general health and safety inspection of the proposed facility. The health department shall impose any conditions required to ensure that all necessary health and safety standards have been met. The applicant shall not initiate any construction activity or make other improvements related to the bed and breakfast facility, or begin operation of the facility prior to a determination, in writing, by the health department that the necessary inspections have been completed and any deficiencies have been corrected to the satisfaction of the health department.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2014 at 10:22am
Reading some of her 'reviews' makes me wonder just how many rooms this woman is renting out and how safe it is! https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/2934635

Seems she rents out daily/weekly/monthly. I have sent an email to Mr. Glinke with questions.
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2014 at 1:49pm
Pie, have you heard back from the Chief?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2014 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by jerry jerry wrote:

Pie, have you heard back from the Chief?

Yes, he is always very responsive to emails and phone calls. He is working on it. I am guessing that a. no one has asked the question and b. this is a whole new business that is perhaps under the radar.

Before people start renting out rooms and turn them into flop houses wherever they want, I think the village needs to address it. I am not saying that's what this one person operating many properties is doing but it sure is suspect.

This must have been going on for quite some time as one of the reviews mentions that the owner helped the person get a parking pass from the village. My next question is; if they got a parking pass, did the village also require a vehicle tag? So many questions; so much grey area.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2014 at 2:19pm
This review is one of the reasons I raise the questions I do: "This classic Chicago Brick two-story is a nice building. There are multiple guest rooms, two kitchens and several bathrooms, so while there are many roomers it does not feel crowded or contentious."

MANY ROOMERS!!!!

Another reviewer: "she puts people in small rooms down basement (there are 5 rooms down basement)." " I saw a lot of people moving in but moving out just a month later because they had enough of the housing situation."

Too many red flags in my humble opinion. People moving in moving out. Our village is transient enough with all the regular rental properties out there.

Reviews

Edited by piehead - 30/July/2014 at 2:28pm
Michelle W. View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2014 at 10:23am
Speaking as the MOST un-libertarian person imaginable, putting the kibosh on airbnb is an example of total over-regulation. I don't see the problem with it. Long standing history of this kind of thing. It's like the home B&B's you find all around England, which are awesome and homey compared to a hotel setting. This has nothing to do with the transient nature of the FP population either. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2014 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Michelle W. Michelle W. wrote:

Speaking as the MOST un-libertarian person imaginable, putting the kibosh on airbnb is an example of total over-regulation. I don't see the problem with it. Long standing history of this kind of thing. It's like the home B&B's you find all around England, which are awesome and homey compared to a hotel setting. This has nothing to do with the transient nature of the FP population either. 

Actually, by the reviews of this enterprise, a transient rather than tourist clientele is an important part of the business plan. The owner is running a hospitality business that should follow the rules for such businesses. The village should be aware of such places operating in its jurisdiction. That doesn't automatically trigger regulation, let alone any over-regulation. It's possible that the business already operates above board regarding licensing and payment of taxes. If so, it will continue to operate. If not, it should want to comply for insurance purposes, if for no other reason, like being a good neighbor and business person.

Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2014 at 11:44am
You want every municipality to create laws for people using airbnb? That seems excessive for what is essentially people renting out rooms for a short trip vs. a chain of hotels. Whether their homeowners insurance covers this is on them. It's their exposure. Maybe airbnb provides some kind of coverage for homeowners who opt to participate. Agree to disagree with you on this. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2014 at 2:33pm

You want every municipality to create laws for people using airbnb? That seems excessive for what is essentially people renting out rooms for a short trip vs. a chain of hotels. Whether their homeowners insurance covers this is on them. It's their exposure. Maybe airbnb provides some kind of coverage for homeowners who opt to participate. Agree to disagree with you on this. 

I don't want laws for people who USE airbnb, but there are certainly concerns about operators ignoring local laws regarding businesses.

"You understand and agree that you are solely responsible for compliance with any and all laws, rules, regulations, and Tax obligations that may apply to your use of the Site, Application, Services and Collective Content. In connection with your use of the Site, Application, Services and Collective Content, you may not and you agree that you will not:

violate any local, state, provincial, national, or other law or regulation, or any order of a court, including, without limitation, zoning restrictions and Tax regulations;"

Airbnb recommends that Hosts obtain appropriate insurance for their Accommodations. Please review any insurance policy that you may have for your Accommodation carefully, and in particular please make sure that you are familiar with and understand any exclusions to, and any deductibles that may apply for, such insurance policy, including, but not limited to, whether or not your insurance policy will cover the actions or inactions of Guests (and the individuals the Guest invites to the Accommodation, if applicable) while at your Accommodation.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2014 at 7:57pm
Airbnb puts it back on the rental owner for anything and everything.

Reading some of her reviews it appears people are taking up residence for longer than a visit. And 5 rooms in a basement sounds more like a Law & Order episode within a flop house.

Remember the fire years back where they found out someone was renting out floor space and people died? Well, w/o the village requiring a business license and proper safety for residents, there is another accident waiting to happen.

I wouldn't want the home next to me changing monthly with folks in and out. This isn't a cozy b&b set up. What's the limit? Every house that can't sell turned into a rooming house? You do realize that isn't much different than an SRO hotel.

Edited by piehead - 04/August/2014 at 8:00pm
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2014 at 9:45am
Unless you have visited the residence you don't actually know whether the house is cozy or not, and our town's proximity to the big city makes it appealing for travelers. I remain unconvinced by both your arguments that some action should be taken. I'm not opposed to renters or travelers co-existing alongside me in Forest Park. This isn't a priority as far as I'm concerned. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2014 at 10:11am
And that is your prerogative, Michelle. But cramming 5 rooms in a basement without knowing if they are safe or not.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2014 at 10:15am

Unless you have visited the residence you don't actually know whether the house is cozy or not, and our town's proximity to the big city makes it appealing for travelers. I remain unconvinced by both your arguments that some action should be taken. I'm not opposed to renters or travelers co-existing alongside me in Forest Park. This isn't a priority as far as I'm concerned. 

What would make it a priority? My priority isn't action, it's awareness.
The neighbors of this/these properties don't seem to mind. At least, to date, there hasn't been any uproar over it. Then again, our crime-free housing initiative hasn't been talked about much either. I guess that's just how things go...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2014 at 11:59am
One of the properties is on the 600 block of Thomas; another somewhere on Lathrop. I'd be curious if people even know that they are living with a rooming house on their blocks.
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2014 at 10:47pm
Michelle W., one problem with 5 bedrooms in the basement is this, how many ways out are there, the law says twe I believe. If for no other reason they should be inspected to make sure there are.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 10:08am
Just saw a listing for someone renting out an entire condo on airbnb (3 days minimum). It's in the building on Madison that is west of the hardware store. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1635889?s=xKdy
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 12:35pm
The house next door to us is a rental. The owners moved about 3 yrs ago, they were unable to sell, asking too much money, already underwater. Lost their tenant of 2 yrs, still unable to sell this time around.
I'm not sure who's living there, they've been there for about 3 wks. We were told 5 people would be living there but I think it's some kind of teenage halfway house. There are so many people coming in/out, some faces the same, new ones everyday, have no idea how many actually live there, who may be family, who's visiting, etc. Babies to seniors, with numerous teenaged boys & girls, people on the porch until 3A, cars coming/going. A houseful of boys and the old man out cutting the weeds? The older people seem nice enough, haven't had any problems, don't feel particularly fearful but find I'm locking up the house, garage more often, watchful, more mindful of who's around, especially when I get home from work after midnight. It's certainly changed things around here.

Edited by logic - 07/August/2014 at 12:36pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 2:15pm
And Logic, that is why I bring it up. If we turn into a village of SRO locations, it is not good at all.

Personally, I would go insane if people were outside at 3AM.

We shouldn't have to fear who/what is next to us because it changes on a regular basis (transient!!!). Sorry to hear this.

Have you mentioned to Mr. Glinke? Or the Housing Police?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Have you mentioned to Mr. Glinke? Or the Housing Police?
No, pie, I haven't. Got a mailing last week from the HomeBuyers people, the ones previously mentioned here (watcher or you, I think) when posting about the castle house sale. They're interested in buying more properties around here, "as is", they buy for little money, fix-up, rent, was surprised it's a franchise.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 3:50pm
I think those folks have bought up a bunch of FP properties already. They still haven't finished the castle house yet.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 4:36pm
I would think that even if the village can't/won't do anything, I would think a condo board might be upset. All buyers/renters usually go through an approval process. This whole thing goes around it!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Got a mailing last week from the HomeBuyers people, the ones previously mentioned here (watcher or you, I think) when posting about the castle house sale. They're interested in buying more properties around here, "as is", they buy for little money, fix-up, rent, was surprised it's a franchise.

Didn't I read just last week how the Real Estate crisis is over in FoPa?

Invitation Homes is one of several operators wading through the wreckage of the housing bubble via LLCs. Backed initially by private equity they've gobbled up distressed, bank-owned foreclosures and estate properties in areas around major cities. It's a model that's been used by infomercial wealth creation pushers for a long time, but now it's gone "big business". Where the infomercial spiel encouraged mom and pop investors to buy SFHs as rental properties to generate cash flow, the new LLC model is to view SFHs much the same as apartment buildings. Chain enough of them together and you get all the cash-flow benefits without the restrictions, headaches and regulations that apply to large apartment building management.

Now that they've built an inventory of properties, these LLCs are seeking multi-billion dollar credit lines to expand their holdings.
The big banks are buying in. Hey! What could go wrong?

They've bought a lot of houses. More than they can realistically transform into the upscale rentals they had planned with the capital and workforce they have. They've had management problems and internal issues that have slowed the turn-around process. Not just here. Nationwide, the complaints are mounting that these companies aren't getting the work done. A lot of sub-contractors have stopped working for them claiming slow or no pay. Schedules have crashed. Yippee!

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2014 at 8:07pm
That explains why the castle house is still not done. Don't they own over 50 properties in FP? What 's the name of the company again? Website?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>