Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Innocuous but curious

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Innocuous but curious
    Posted: 27/July/2014 at 11:17pm
Where are all the fireflies? Have maybe seen 10 this yr.
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2014 at 12:23am
The same place as the butterflies
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2014 at 10:08am
Logic, I heard an explanation on the news. Evidently, all the grub killers and weed killers people put on their lawns, kills off their food, therefore, they aren't reproducing like they used to do I miss them.
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2014 at 11:27am
I miss them too. My Skippy jar with the holes in the lid is gathering some serious dust.
backman
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2014 at 11:38am
I have them here. Both butterflies and lightning bugs. and a few cicadas flies, bees and lots of earwigs...
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2014 at 3:44pm
You can keep all the earwigs on your block. I do not want any.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 9:18am
We have toads, they live near the waterfall in our little pond. They are very active, loud in the late Spring, early Summer. Now we only hear them when there's a heavy rain. Our neighbor brought them back from a camping trip, released them about 2 yrs ago.
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

We have toads, they live near the waterfall in our little pond. They are very active, loud in the late Spring, early Summer. Now we only hear them when there's a heavy rain. Our neighbor brought them back from a camping trip, released them about 2 yrs ago.

I have seen several toads this summer yet none the last several years. I saw something on PPS a year or so ago about a decline in toads, frogs and other amphibians. Maybe this is a good thing?
backman
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 10:51am
What we need north of Madison is crows and feral cats, pronto!

The bunny population is out of control! They do not seem frightened by people either. I try to spook them like squirrels but they just look at me.
backman
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 11:18am
You can have some of our coyotes, they stay mostly in the cemetery, along the old train tracks.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

I have seen several toads this summer yet none the last several years. I saw something on PPS a year or so ago about a decline in toads, frogs and other amphibians. Maybe this is a good thing?
No, not a good thing.Why Frogs?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

What we need north of Madison is crows and feral cats, pronto!

The bunny population is out of control! They do not seem frightened by people either. I try to spook them like squirrels but they just look at me.
When you approach the bunnies, they figure if they don't move you can't see them! They probably won't flee til you go away.
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2014 at 4:36pm
Mine sure don't work that way, they run at the drop of a hat. Their was a hutch in the dog park several years ago which the the dog parkers protected, rather decent of them I thought. My wife loves them ever though they eat her plants.
 Post Reply Post Reply