Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Local History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historic patterns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historic patterns
    Posted: 23/September/2014 at 8:56am
HS Board Squabbles

Another internecine struggle at the FoPa Historical Society? Is anyone shocked? What is the history lesson here? What is it about our history that induces such battles? Is there someone who can lead the group without it becoming an obsession? IMO, Augie was a very good President who worked hard to prevent repeating past mistakes, expanding the membership and respecting our past. Bob Cox went in a different (familiar) direction.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2014 at 9:31am
What is wrong with Bob Cox? Too much lead paint in his 'historic' home? I cannot believe that he so totally went outside the lines and changed the bank statements to go directly to his home. Proviso political methods are so ingrained in this buffoon. I am just sitting here shaking my head.
Michelle W. View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2014 at 1:13pm
You're both making this about Bob Cox because you don't like his politics. I'm not a fan of his local politics, but in my opinion a fair assessment would conclude that all sides need to grow up and learn to communicate and respect one another. 

Running a small NPO is hard. Especially volunteer-run groups, so I do NOT want to see them regress to an all-volunteer model. They're lucky to have a willing part time E.D. However, Bob is correct that they DO need to focus on a plan to fundraise to make that a sustainable situation. And it sounds like clear job descriptions for all board members (especially if they are doing work for HSFP) as well as the E.D. is in order. These are easy to find examples of online. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2014 at 7:44pm
But Michelle, why would Cox switch the address for the bank to his home w/o others' knowledge and signing off? That's a no no. Also, taking it on himself to let someone go w/o others' input and agreement? Another no no. That is why I've made it about Cox.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Michelle W. Michelle W. wrote:

You're both making this about Bob Cox because you don't like his politics. I'm not a fan of his local politics, but in my opinion a fair assessment would conclude that all sides need to grow up and learn to communicate and respect one another.

Running a small NPO is hard. Especially volunteer-run groups, so I do NOT want to see them regress to an all-volunteer model. They're lucky to have a willing part time E.D. However, Bob is correct that they DO need to focus on a plan to fundraise to make that a sustainable situation. And it sounds like clear job descriptions for all board members (especially if they are doing work for HSFP) as well as the E.D. is in order. These are easy to find examples of online.

Things that blow up (or implode?) tend to have some common elements. The failure to communicate and disrespect are common tells. I can understand how local efforts have problems, there being so few good examples to follow where things are above board.

It's almost as though somebody doesn't want cooperative efforts. That's what struck me. I'm sure there's more to the story and more sides to consider, but at first blush this just sounds like more of the same.

Invoking the whistle-blower protections? FTW?!?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Michelle W. View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2014 at 10:03am
If you were interested in the details and not just the gossip, you would've attended the meeting this past Saturday yourselves and heard all about this, including the what and why of the bank transaction stuff. I don't know about the invocation of the Whistleblower Protection act, however. I'm saying that all sides could have done better and at this point I bet they know it. Cooler heads should've prevailed earlier, but I'm hoping that publicity about this will force them to work with each other at this point and salvage some of their rep. There's no one who looks wholly good here.  

Don't allow your confirmation bias to cloud your judgement. It's not good for you, or for the organizations you're hoping to serve. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2014 at 11:26am
Sorry Michelle W., not much interested in joining the Forest Park Historical Society. Glad there are folks that are in it. Not my thing.   
 Post Reply Post Reply