Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Desperately seeking sanity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Desperately seeking sanity

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Desperately seeking sanity
    Posted: 21/January/2015 at 1:05pm
Another election season is upon us. The "names" may have changed, but the players haven't. It seems pointless to suggest that the combatants try to curb their enthusiasm.

It's unclear how the FPR intends to deal with the issue, but I expect them to make an appeal for decorum before shutting down the comment function, altogether, for the duration.

This place has been referenced recurrently as dormant, shuttered and impotent, but I'd just like to remind everyone that people still come by here looking for content.

Is it worth setting up another election section to accommodate those who might prefer a tad more structure?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2015 at 8:34pm
thanks for stating the oh.so.very.painful.  hmm.
i don't recall FPF ever enduring the level(?) and constancy of insanity presently being displayed.
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2015 at 9:09am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

thanks for stating the oh.so.very.painful.  hmm.i don't recall FPF ever enduring the level(?) and constancy of insanity presently being displayed.


I certainly remember. Full moon madness. Sentry's sandbox. Y2K, 2003,07,11... National politics. 9/11.
JVJ, HS, FOA, Team Calderone, Seagull invasions, TFYATDT, Citizen Miller,
...

What a long strange trip it's been.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2015 at 9:07am
a Y2K fracas? you know how long ago that was?  Tongue
i think it's a matter of proportion.  the FP bell curve has misplaced(?) its curve. 
it looks like -------------^-------------, now. 
Back to Top
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2015 at 8:34pm
My favorite discription of Forest Park is it's Mayberry on drugs and you whay sanity, I don't think so.
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2015 at 4:48pm
Step one: Plea for decorum by requiring FB account to comment... Check!

Free tip o' the day... Even if you don't like or use Facebook, you should "claim" your name or somebody else will.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2015 at 5:18pm
Finally, the Review demands accountability:

"Starting this week the Forest Park Review will require a Facebook login to comment on ForestParkReview.com," writes Dan Haley

http://www.forestparkreview.com/News/Articles/2-17-2015/Enough-with-these-comments/#Comment-b3a281111a87b9e2e1c4675e6d0192b8

Thank you, Dan. Great move. 

My first thought was, "Buh-bye, trolls. Grow a pair, Obstrudy."

My second thought was, "how will Chris Welch and his wife now respond to news stories they don't like. For two public personages, they have a near pathological aversion to putting their names behind things. 


Edited by Bill Dwyer - 17/February/2015 at 5:48pm
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2015 at 5:46pm
A momentous moment passed today, with the last troll posting on the Forest Park Review comments board. Tuesday, February 17th, 2015 at 6:44 AM, none other than Obstrudy posted his/her/it's usual anonymous dreck.

That qualifies him/her/it for the $1,000 cash award honoring the last act of commentary cowardice on the FPR board. 

Some clown posting under Wm. Wilcox posted Tuesday, February 17th, 2015 12:32 PM, but then the real William Wilcox took issue with his name being highjacked and complained.

Clearly, it's one thing to be an ignorant coward, but dishonest ignorant coward stealing someone else's name. That's just too much, even by Forest park standards. 

So Obstrudy gets the $1,000 prize for being the last cowardly anonymous deceitful poster on the Review comment boards.

Just contact watcher by 6 p.m. with your real name so we know where to send the money, you lucky... man/woman/thing. 

Hurry, Obstrudy. And, sincere congratulations 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2015 at 7:47pm
Facebook verification is not all that secure. Anyone can claim to be whomever they wish to be on facebook. Similar to email accounts. No real verification at all.
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2015 at 9:30pm
I'd like to respond, Pie, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with this extra $1,000 I have. :-)
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2015 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

I'd like to respond, Pie, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with this extra $1,000 I have. :-)


Take a Dale Carnegie course.
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2015 at 11:49am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

I'd like to respond, Pie, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with this extra $1,000 I have. :-)


Take a Dale Carnegie course.


He took the Cliff's Notes version, bought at a garage sale. I think there were a few pages missing...

“If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold you up in your work. Much of the best work in the world has been done against seeming impossibilities.”

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

“People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.”

“Knowledge isn’t power until it is applied.”

“No matter what happens, always be yourself.”

“Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, for your character is what you are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar
Avatar

Joined: 31/August/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2015 at 1:24pm
That's not true, watcher. Was at a Friends of the Library book sale. :-)

I'll loan it to logic, as I'm sure she never read it, just uses it as a cudgel to snipe at people.


Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2015 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:


“Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, for your character is what you are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”


Very true, watcher, but HOW one expresses oneself is inexorably linked to both.
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Bill Dwyer Bill Dwyer wrote:

That's not true, watcher. Was at a Friends of the Library book sale. :-)
I'll loan it to logic, as I'm sure she never read it, just uses it as a cudgel to snipe at people.
Your shillelagh is far bigger than my cudgel, Bill. You're right, I would never read "Friends of the Library":)

Edited by logic - 19/February/2015 at 2:57pm
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:


“Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, for your character is what you are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”


Very true, watcher, but HOW one expresses oneself is inexorably linked to both.


As well as who one chooses to engage with in discourse and conversation?
Do you believe Mr. Carnegie was universally liked and admired? Infallible?
Understood?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.
A.Lange & Sohne Langematik Tourbillon Replica Watches ,and it must be a dream replica watches. Brand, style, visibility, features are absolutely assiduous, they not only added to their own sort of power in the rolex replica sale, and certainly can bear, "handed down" in the name. Now here is a fantastic choice for you, if you heard of Langematik Tourbillon rolex replica sale , this article will be much helpful to you. The function of a breitling replica sale is no longer confined to more of a symbol used to reflect personal taste. For men, the rolex replica uk is a symbol of their status; the contrary, a woman wearing a replica watches in addition to at the time, the greatest use is decorative, fashion Langematik Tourbillon breitling replica sale , elegance, style, simplicity, there is a pressing vulgarity temperament.