Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Election 2015 > Mayor's Race
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOW
    Posted: 06/March/2015 at 6:09pm
Sending an email to Byrnes was not a wise decision. I'm surprized Mr Harris actually believed it would be a private exchange.

Edited by logic - 06/March/2015 at 6:09pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2015 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Sending an email to Byrnes was not a wise decision. I'm surprized Mr Harris actually believed it would be a private exchange.

FPR reports on Harris/Byrnes email
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Bill Dwyer View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2015 at 8:48pm
Bad move on Harris's part. Byrnes is clearly in Calderone's camp and will remain there until the mayor shafts him a second time. 

This helps Calderone. He even actually used the right word for once while speaking- this is awkward. 
Facts are a bitch and the truth most hurts the liars
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2015 at 9:12pm
Ugh, such juvenile behavior. Disappointed in this adult behavior. Sorry the email didn't stay between the two of them.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2015 at 9:45pm
Smells like "quid pro quo", also reminds me of the numerous give to get sugar comments on board for so many yrs. So what's in it for Mr Harris?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2015 at 10:52pm

So what's in it for Mr Harris?
that's the question, but i can't figure out the answer. 
certainly not in the campaign phase. actually can't figure a payback if both are elected. quid pro what? 
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2015 at 11:07pm
My take is it was a probe to see if Byrnes was interested in helping with the search for a new police chief. 

But it was very- I mean, very- badly phrased by Chris. Hope he recovers.

Good thing for Tony he has never spoken badly. The man just has a gift for language. One still being studied by scholars. And comedians. 
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2015 at 10:17am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

actually can't figure a payback if both are elected. quid pro what? 
Hmmmm, what are the chances of that? IMAHO, it was an attempt to draw someone, already aligned with the Mayor, into his camp, carrot dangle method. Obviously Mr Harris had something in mind, post election good vibrations?, don't know his thought processes. His response had a "hummina hummina" feel, go figure.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2015 at 8:06pm
"go figure."
i tried, i failed. i got nothin'.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2015 at 9:44pm

Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

actually can't figure a payback if both are elected. quid pro what? 
Hmmmm, what are the chances of that? IMAHO, it was an attempt to draw someone, already aligned with the Mayor, into his camp, carrot dangle method. Obviously Mr Harris had something in mind, post election good vibrations?, don't know his thought processes. His response had a "hummina hummina" feel, go figure.

I thought this sounded vaguely familiar...He said; he said
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2015 at 8:32am
Except that Calderone will lie about what occurred forever!
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2015 at 12:52pm
Long ago, don't remember much more than being glued to the FPF, Review. The truth was probably lost somewhere in the middle.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2015 at 1:06pm
Plausible deniability. That's what Tony Calderone most values. Not the truth. Just not getting caught, not being held accountable. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2015 at 2:24pm

Long ago, don't remember much more than being glued to the FPF, Review. The truth was probably lost somewhere in the middle.

Someone would have to dig into the FPR archive for the 1999 transition when Byrnes was passed over, but remember hard feelings and sharp words about the politics. IIRC, Byrnes supported Popelka then. What followed has been shrouded, blurred and deleted from record. That doesn't mean it's not important.

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2015 at 10:54am
Ya know, for yrs on this board, the sense was always ANYONE running for mayor against Calderone would be better for FP. Don't believe that is true this election season. Mr Harris's message to Byrnes, with what was clearly a potential job offer, made me uncomfortable. Didn't see it as a minor misstep but an overture by someone who's keenly aware of the power of office.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2015 at 12:03pm

Ya know, for yrs on this board, the sense was always ANYONE running for mayor against Calderone would be better for FP. Don't believe that is true this election season. Mr Harris's message to Byrnes, with what was clearly a potential job offer, made me uncomfortable. Didn't see it as a minor misstep but an overture by someone who's keenly aware of the power of office.

The same should be said of our Mayor when he made the transition from Commish to the center seat, except that Harris would need to contend with a council majority of three or more slated PAC commissioners. That is no minor quibble in the organizational chart. There would be a definite check on ambition and an opportunity for open discussions, ideas and direction. It would be an interesting four years.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2015 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

The same should be said of our Mayor when he made the transition from Commish to the center seat, except that Harris would need to contend with a council majority of three or more slated PAC commissioners. That is no minor quibble in the organizational chart. There would be a definite check on ambition and an opportunity for open discussions, ideas and direction. It would be an interesting four years.

We need a change in that head seat. Need to show Calderone the exit. He's hung out long enough.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2015 at 5:43pm
Sorry, pie, I'm not into death metal for Mayor.
mcc11706 View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcc11706 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2015 at 10:02pm
In all honesty, neither am I. Those music videos are just... creepy.
"Draggin' the line..."
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2015 at 10:25pm
What videos? What band? Please provide some links. Thank you.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 7:38am
YouTube, Project .44 "Warpath".
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 10:26am
You'd probably find yourself agreeing with the underlying lyrics of Project .44.

The system is rigged/broken. The powerless are getting screwed. Sometimes makes you want to scream to wake people up.

Chris has re-channeled his energy. P.44 music is nostalgia now. He's no longer angry, well, not as angry. Rather than screaming, he's talking.

"It's time to stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down."
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 10:38am
2006! I would think he's moved on from this!!!

If we want to dredge up old stuff, what about the fact that our current mayor quit high school?

By the way, logic, I bet your youngest likes this music. Personally, gives me an earache. Never been a metal lover though. Even back in the day.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 10:59am
My youngest doesn't live or vote in FP, I do. Don't know if it's old stuff or something he's currently involved with, we own our lives in entirety, don't get to pick and choose from the past. Wouldn't vote for Mick Jagger either:)

As far as being a high school drop-out, many successful people didn't make it through high school, college or yrs ago even grade school (I didn't live through the Depression, my parents did) but had a well developed work ethic or need to succeed.

Edited by logic - 23/March/2015 at 11:00am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 11:01am
Yes, I know he doesn't reside here :)

However, well developed work ethic or need for greed.......I do not trust our current mayor.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 11:04am
Pie, this is the USA, would never deny you your right to vote for whomever you choose. For me, just anyone but the current mayor isn't good enough.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 11:26am
I am sick and tired of his highness.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 11:33am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

You'd probably find yourself agreeing with the underlying lyrics of Project .44.

The system is rigged/broken. The powerless are getting screwed. Sometimes makes you want to scream to wake people up.

Chris has re-channeled his energy. P.44 music is nostalgia now. He's no longer angry, well, not as angry. Rather than screaming, he's talking.

"It's time to stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down."

Couldn't hear them, watcher. As you've explained, it's the same old SIMPLE message for a far more complex problem. The powerless are often screwed by those who have their "best interest" at heart.

Yes, there's something happening here, far beyond the political, personal sniping.

Read a book yrs ago, think it was "The Handmaid's Tale"?. If memory serves, it started out with the lead character becoming aware of the smoke from a far away fire, then her whole life changed. Sometimes believe I can see that fire.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2015 at 2:11pm

Couldn't hear them, watcher. As you've explained, it's the same old SIMPLE message for a far more complex problem. The powerless are often screwed by those who have their "best interest" at heart.

Yes, there's something happening here, far beyond the political, personal sniping.

Read a book yrs ago, think it was "The Handmaid's Tale"?. If memory serves, it started out with the lead character becoming aware of the smoke from a far away fire, then her whole life changed. Sometimes believe I can see that fire.

You're not suggesting that "the whole world is on fire" are you? There might be a child listening...

I remember the Rock 'n Roll noise battle I had with my father. We "settled" it over the "Mairsey Dotes" song from his generation. He wasn't wrong; neither was I... just different. We had common ground that didn't involve our musical tastes.

IRL, inertia is a force. Incumbency is an advantage and rhetoric is cheap. How is your Professional Administrator, Forest Park High School, village wide wi-fi, Police sub-station/south-side community resource center and revitalized Roosevelt Rd business district doing?

At some point, the new guard becomes indistinguishable from the old guard. Whether or not this is just a natural process may seem moot
except for rare moments in our timeline.

I read a book years ago too. I might try it again some day.

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2015 at 8:01am
That would depend on where you live, watcher, for many people, on this small planet, their world is on fire.

Sorry, I have no recommendations but didn't we have a topic once about good reads?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>