Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtual Archeology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Archeology
    Posted: 16/April/2015 at 10:21am
Now that the election is over and while there is a brief window of "mending fences" being mentioned, I'd like to suggest that these forums offer a potential salve for our splintered condition.

Despite the clutter,debris,idle banter,emotional outbursts and seagull poop, there's a wealth of ideas, suggestions, identified problems and potential solutions by almost 200 of our 290 members. The forums are searchable. The topics are spelled out. The information is readily accessible by anyone willing to look.

I've come to expect being dismissed and marginalized. The near constant wail that this place is nothing but malcontents and anti-Calderone just fails for anyone who looks at the serious discussions that have occurred here over the years.

I'll readily agree that the place is messy, but so is democracy. Past clean-up efforts were often attacked and mis-characterized as "censorship", so it seemed better to let all but the truly toxic posts and topics run their course, intact, for future reference.

Overall, the presented thoughts and ideas, on some major nagging issues, are here and intact. There are also back-up versions as well going back further. I can't think of any reasonable excuse not to consider this place as a valuable resource for anybody who truly wants to turn over a new leaf.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 12:08pm
Sounds good but the Calderone contingent has demonized this forum for so long, all his followers believe him.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Sounds good but the Calderone contingent has demonized this forum for so long, all his followers believe him.

Fence mending is a two-way street. MATC's looking to build a bridge?
Why build when this one's already built?

Mine it for suggestions, ideas, different approaches... He can even claim them as his own!

Your post doesn't read very post-mendy!<g>

Edited by watcher - 16/April/2015 at 12:17pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 12:30pm
Have you seen Mr. Calderone's posts about Sharon Daly's opinion piece in this week's Review. He sure doesn't sound very post-mendy! I don't believe he is sincere.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 2:13pm
Oh, pie, neither do FP's own B&J:)
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 2:56pm
Pie, it's because his claims are not true, the first chance he got he was on the attack along with his chief attack dog David Webb. Watcher, the mayors opinion of FPF is well documented, like his opinion of the Review, it will not change.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Oh, pie, neither do FP's own B&J:)

But logic, as the Mayor, he should aspire and inspire by starting the fence mending. Of course, he doesn't. He just continues the same way he has for years.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:23pm
Choosing Aftanas as opposed to a connected outsider is a good start.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:28pm
But as I believe Bill Dwyer pointed out after the mayor said this: "That will definitely be my recommendation. If they want to conduct a search then, we will. But I believe in promoting from within.", this will be the first in many many years that is being promoted from within. Recall when he pushed Joe Byrnes to the wayside........???
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:43pm
Yes, doesn't seem Byrnes has made out too badly:) Could it be the Mayor is learning to make different or better choices for FP?

Don't remember Mr Harris supporting Aftanas, believe the actual comment was he would be "part of the discussion". Which Bill and Jerry were quick to jump-on, interpret as Aftanas has the full support of Harris. When, especially after the Byrnes "offer" went public, we knew wasn't true.

Edited by logic - 16/April/2015 at 3:44pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:45pm
I was just pointing out how the Mayor talks out both sides of his mouth and counts on an audience with a very short memory.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:46pm
As proven by this election, FPers have a long memory and they're watching.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2015 at 8:03am

As proven by this election, FPers have a long memory and they're watching.

As much as I'd like to believe this, this village election proved very little, changed even less. We're still in "Wait and see" mode. What's the plan? Have you seen it? Did anything in the "Progress" campaign point to something other than more of the same?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2015 at 7:42pm
Re: the title post.
to me, FPF is the standard bearer for village life under the dubious reign of tony calderone. 20 years.
he just doesn't get democracy and works w/a 'family' model of authority instead. and, no, he's not going to change.

the rejuvination of FPF and the village will probably depend on the new generation, our young families, now spreading their wings and making tsumami waves in our schools, and god love 'em. 
they seem to like Facebook, which i think is fairly worthless for any sustained discussion or organization, but...

i think it's too soon to tell, but FPF is without doubt the superior product, including the Review's FB app thingy. you can't search a damn thing. FB is like keeping history on toilet paper and i only mean that in the flowey sense - like a puppy discovering the joys of unrolling - it has no permanence? 
altho i would never ignore the Review site - newspapers are essential.

i think the kids are going to be very busy w/D209 and that's where their passion is located. Jean Lotus is focusing on the greater West Cook crooks, Dwyer might split between FP and Proviso? and truth be told, if/when D209 gets better, so will FP. it's just gonna take longer than us :)

too soon to tell, but someone has to keep an eye on VH the next four years - the Review can't do it alone. 
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2015 at 6:16am
citizen, if there are no sweeping changes within the next 4 yrs but you could pick 1 or 2 important issues (other than the schools) that would make a significant difference in your investment in FP, what would they be?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2015 at 7:58am

citizen, if there are no sweeping changes within the next 4 yrs but you could pick 1 or 2 important issues (other than the schools) that would make a significant difference in your investment in FP, what would they be?

building and zoning that fits our reality. Focus on quality rather than technicality.

tapping the vast resources embodied in (all) our residents, building a model for community involvement, problem solving and cost reduction.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2015 at 8:32am
yep. but in reverse order.

FP simply cannot solve modern problems w/only one POV, which is not a modern nor particularly informed POV. 
all our commish must be empowered for our odd commish form to work, and our citizen commissions need new blood and authority.
we will see how the Diversity Committee pans out :) hard to imagine our 'diverse' housing not being an intrinsic issue here. i'll probably volunteer, and even stick with it if it's real. 

if we can get breathing room on flooding, D209 and  ^, solutions can present themselves fairly organically.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2015 at 9:10am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

FP simply cannot solve modern problems w/only one POV, which is not a modern nor particularly informed POV.
If 50% of the residents are viewed as uninformed throwbacks and the other half informed progressives, is there any room for balance? I know for many halfway will never be enough but for me, my perspective, that's where peace is made, sustainable goals accomplished.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2015 at 9:39am
i don't think 1/2 the residents (or voters) are uninformed - we all want the same things. 
calderone has created a cult mentality, esp at VH, that hardly works well w/religion, much less governing. it's always and only all about him, which he conveniently equates w/FP. and, sad but true, cult leaders eventually go wacky.

even on election night he wondered why EVERYBODY didn't vote for him. what? 
and for the past week he's responding to residents' comments online - still attempting to demonstrate they are, at best, victims of wrong thinking. what?
he's still viewing disagreement and criticism as treason. what?

the next four years could be very strange. 
my opinion. 

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2015 at 1:44pm
He still thinks anyone who doesn't agree with him is wrong, plain and simple. Oh yeah, and evil!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 12:36pm

Devolved a bit eh? What would Logic's 1 or 2 important issues be?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2015 at 9:23am
Building and zoning, a workable, flexible plan which validates the investment of all stakeholders.

That concerned citizens not be relegated to an "enemies list". What's going on online at the Review website is definitely not amusing, it's ugly.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2015 at 10:07am

What's going on online at the Review website is definitely not amusing, it's ugly.

And what makes it ugly is the fact that the ugly posters are all FAKE personnas. So typically Calderone team tactics.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2015 at 10:26am

So typically Calderone team tactics.
Except, they make the Mayor look bad.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2015 at 10:36am
Think the "attack dogs" need pop a Xanax, have a couple of drinks (oh,oh) and take a nap. A 4 yr nap:)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2015 at 10:47am

So typically Calderone team tactics.
Except, they make the Mayor look bad.

He needs to rein them in then!
 Post Reply Post Reply