Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hey Dan! That's Not How This Works

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Dan! That's Not How This Works
    Posted: 16/April/2015 at 11:28am
That's not how ANY of this works!

In the run-up to the election,FoPa Watcher, my Facebook verified account, was blocked by the Review in response to complaints from David Webb/Observer (and undoubtedly several other nyms prior to FB verification being required).

No biggie, I did the same here to several accounts. After the election I unblocked those accounts. I had hoped that by limiting the noise, some other members would feel safe to post their thoughts. That didn't happen. Atrophy? Relocation? FB,Reddit, Topix,Twitter,Instagram,Snapchat habits/ addictions?

I readily admit that this style of forum is drowned out by the new toys/apps. I also believe this to be a far superior platform for the exchange of ideas, so it remains waiting to be rediscovered/reinvented.

Just look at the Review comments section to see the real limitations and problems.

Here, people are allowed to register/use their own REAL name, they can also pick a screenname under which to post their thoughts. It's their words and thoughts that drive this place, so the name used shouldn't matter, right? Over time, one's online identity is developed and established for all to see.

Dan Haley and others don't understand why anyone wouldn't want their name on display with their comments. I can think of at least 5000 reasons. Fear is certainly one. Experience another. Privacy, security, uncertainty, ego,insecurity... but regardless of why, it's about allowing a combo-platter of widely based opinions to learn from each other. Words allowed to stand or fall on their own. Staunchly stating and defending one's opinion without the bounds of any hierachy or label other than what you put forth in your words.

You don't care who knows who you are? Good for you! This is the internet. As in life, not everyone respects boundaries. Who cares?
I do. Anonymity is everyone's right if that's what they want. It goes hand in hand with their right to have an opinion, belief, to agree and disagree. Names should matter less than ideas. The real you comes through what you think and say. How does it mean less or more because of a name?

The internet offers a method of communication that requires no physical presence, no meetings, no borders. That's how this works.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 12:10pm
Yeah, don't you just love that 'david webb' gets to spout out about anonymity and yet he is a fake himself. Ah, the irony.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Yeah, don't you just love that 'david webb' gets to spout out about anonymity and yet he is a fake himself. Ah, the irony.

He keeps spouting about being banned here. He's not. He was briefly shut off, but re-activated and told so, after whining about it @ the Review. While here he had nothing constructive to say, but said he'd come back when/if he thought of something... evidently, he hasn't had a thought since.

He don't like our "rules" that he can't have people blocked. The FB people who befriended him have been disturbed by his activities and unfriended/blocked.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 12:31pm
Gee, what a surprise, not.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

It's their words and thoughts that drive this place, so the name used shouldn't matter, right? Over time, one's online identity is developed and established for all to see.

.... Anonymity is everyone's right if that's what they want. It goes hand in hand with their right to have an opinion, belief, to agree and disagree. Names should matter less than ideas. The real you comes through what you think and say. How does it mean less or more because of a name?

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

The reason, only reason I choose to post anonymously is very simple. I want any/all animosity provoked by my postings to be directed solely at me.

Do you really need to know, the identity of David Webb? He's there, in all his comments. Enjoyed reading many of them, intelligent, humorous, well-written, etc.... but the election is over, his candidate won. Should be cause for internal celebration, no? Is it really necessary to continue picking/kicking? Don't like the meaner aspects of his comments directed at Sharon (yes, know she's a strong lady, can carry her own) but what's the purpose? To what end?
Maybe he just can't let go of his negative feelings?

Edited by logic - 16/April/2015 at 2:08pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

The reason, only reason I choose to post anonymously is very simple. I want any/all animosity provoked by my postings to be directed solely at me.

Do you really need to know, the identity of David Webb? He's there, in all his comments. Enjoyed reading many of them, intelligent, humorous, well-written, etc.... but the election is over, his candidate won. Should be cause for internal celebration, no? Is it really necessary to continue picking/kicking? Don't like the meaner aspects of his comments directed at Sharon (yes, know she's a strong lady, can carry her own) but what's the purpose? To what end?
Maybe he just can't let go of his negative feelings?

It's more his hypocritical demands for full, minute-by-minute, disclosure of everyone else, dating back to his arrival in the comments as Observer. His brief, but empty visit here and the undeserved swagger he exudes in his ad hominem attacks.

It's a front, whether his name or not. As such, it is intriguing.
If it turned out that he's connected, financially or genetically to the PAC or its members, does it add a dimension to his opinions and critques?

He doesn't "comment" he offers his own op-ed to the Review's content. Does that alter his journalistic responsibilities? He says it does for Sharon...

How is that different than the posters on FPF? Every one of my public posts is searchable. The bulk of them are responding to tech questions or just idle banter. Those stand apart from meatier posts. Facts and opinion are easily identified. The Review comments get lost in the constantly shifting "features".

Which brings us to the Review itself which regularly publishes "Editorials" without a byline. The institutional voice? A pseudonym by any other name?

Which is the less adulterated product?

jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:09pm
logic, in answer to your question, yes people should know who David Webb is, mostly because he or she lies all the time as in making stuff up to smear some one.  There now appears to be two poeple writing as David Webb, the sysles are closer now then when it started but they are diierent enough to tell the difference. Logic, you and I disagree on just about everything, but I do not believe you lie about people to make them look bad, you believe what you say. 90% of what David says is lies, period.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:21pm
Jerry, David does not challenge my belief system but can appreciate his writing style. No, we do not disagree about everything.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:25pm
What puts me off 'David' is that he expects and calls everyone else out, yet he is hiding behind the curtain still. If the rest of us are out there, so should he. Put up or shut up (to him, not you logic).
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:49pm
Pie, pissed-off or not, I just don't believe it truly matters.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2015 at 3:52pm

Pie, pissed-off or not, I just don't believe it truly matters.
I'm not pissed. I just try and stay out of the way and out of the town as much as possible. Sad but true. Would move if I didn't love my house so much.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2015 at 6:35pm

David does not challenge my belief system but can appreciate his writing style.

Style without content is worthy of appreciation? Form over function? It's better to look good than to BE good?

It would be one thing if any of the turds "David" has plopped down in the Review's comments were based in/on facts. Instead, it's mostly off-topic gainsaying and equivocations. Misdirection and diversion.

If it fools you, what does it do to less attentive readers?

Edited by watcher - 18/April/2015 at 6:35pm
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 6:56am
Yes, do find some of his postings amusing, even on the occasion he's made fun of me, has nothing to do with being fooled. Thinking about it, I've been on the receiving end of very similar comments ^ made by you:) Can still respect your POV and admire your writing skills. Can one be a "wordsmith" and yet communicate nothing of substance?

On a lighter note, remember the picture I sent you of the little blond baby running around Forest Home, near the Druid monument? We're celebrating his 9th birthday today.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 7:40am
logic, i thought it was pretty funny when david recently re-posted a comment of yours over at the Review. i wondered how many cross-readers there are and how many said 'who/what?'
in any case, you were thought-leader for a day or two :)
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 8:49am
Didn't see it, often too hard to find or reference something if ya need to "slog the blog". Thought leader? only in my own mind, good you were amused. Know he's fixated on you, the election is over, why isn't that enough? The sh_t stream keeps flowing, maybe he can't let go. I also know you have valid reasons for choices made.

Jerry has posted to me in the Review, took me by surprise.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 9:04am
citizen, would also like to add, although he's made many attempts, David will never be able to marginalize you. You have street cred:)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 9:16am
David was holding you up as the final word, 'see, even Logic agrees w/me' :)  prob on Harris/his music topic.
(thx for encouraging words)
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 9:32am
Quite an upgrade from being referred to as an old drunk:))))))
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 1:29pm
over at the Review, David wants some 'context' for Vox's behavior this election. some accountability. he's just askin' :)
we should run a contest for best reply. 
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 1:49pm
Well you can always refuse to take the bait, let him keep repeating himself, rephrasing the questions until he tires-out or invite him to a Vox meeting.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 1:57pm
invite him to a vox meeting. that is funny :)
a lot of folks think Observer/Webb is more than one writer, think the style changes too often. not my theory but sure is someone w/a lot of time to devote to his/her 'investments.' like day-trading :)
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 6:08pm
logic, I meant to delete your name on what I posted to the Review, sorry. Citizen, I am retired so when someone pointed out somethings about David I went back and did some reading, it sure looks like two people, it's little things. By the way, these people do not tire out they just keep saying the same thing knowing some people will by into it. Now the David does have Chris to bang on he is going after VOX again.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 9:36pm
No big deal, jerry, I know you posted the same message here and on the Review website. Covering all bases, huh?
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 10:22pm
Logic, the one I posted here was for you, the Review was for anyone else who might want to check it out. There is a lot more to the story than meets the eye. As for David I do enjoy busting his/her chops.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2015 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by jerry jerry wrote:

There is a lot more to the story than meets the eye. As for David I do enjoy busting his/her chops.
IMAHO, jerry, think David Webb is the recipient of way too much time and attention.
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2015 at 7:09am
logic, yes I do, but I really do enjoy busting David's chops.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2015 at 7:53am

Yes, do find some of his postings amusing, even on the occasion he's made fun of me, has nothing to do with being fooled. Thinking about it, I've been on the receiving end of very similar comments ^ made by you:) Can still respect your POV and admire your writing skills. Can one be a "wordsmith" and yet communicate nothing of substance?

On a lighter note, remember the picture I sent you of the little blond baby running around Forest Home, near the Druid monument? We're celebrating his 9th birthday today.

Hope the celebration met his/your expectations. 9 is such a great age. They don't know everything yet and still want to figure things out. They have skills that lets them hear "yes" more often. It's when they learn to ask the right questions to get the answer and permissions they want.<g>

If my comments to you have ever been dismissive of your intellect, it was purely unintentional. I've mostly chided you to take a stand? I think we've managed to find common ground more often than not, and have simply agreed to disagree on some things. But who knows, we've bandied words on a variety of subjects... FWIS, that's pretty much what this is about anyway. Towards respect and understanding?

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2015 at 10:01am
What intellect? Know my limitations, who I am and who I'll never be, that's OK. You're more than a wordsmith, IMHO, your approach more cerebral, philosophical, even if readers don't always see it here. Though capable of higher thinking, some of what you write (especially on your blog) goes right over my head, that's OK too. Do reserve the right to express an opinion, it comes from observation, perception and sometimes gut instinct. Have never felt dismissed or intimidated, more allow yourself to be led, come this way, "thou knowst not".

Believe it or not, there are a few of us 60 somethings who never wanted to go to Woodstock:)

As for my Grandson, he is thriving. Diagnosed as being in the autism spectrum, they don't call it Aspergers anymore, he was attending a local "special needs" school. Though staffed with many GOOD people,(believe the school is geared more toward kids with behavior issues) after 4 yrs, much trial, tribulation and a hell of a lot of input, observation, time and attention from the school district in Naperville, he is now attending school out there. My daughter, kids have moved out of Proviso, other than being farther than I'd like them to be, it was a great choice.

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2015 at 10:26am
Originally posted by jerry jerry wrote:

logic, yes I do, but I really do enjoy busting David's chops.
Don't want to burst your bubble, jerry, don't think he's feeling like his chops are busted. Other than a few obviously very tense days prior to the election, he's back on the horse.

Edited by logic - 20/April/2015 at 10:27am
jerry View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2015 at 2:16pm
logic, well you might be right but I don't think so, David is not back on the horse and now that the election is over David has more free time to cover the mayors gaff's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>