Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rain Barrel Controversy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rain Barrel Controversy
    Posted: 30/April/2015 at 7:49am
Yesterday, just to do a little homework, decided to learn about the rain barrel program. The MWRD site is very good, full of info on the proper use of rain barrels, they even give instructions on how to customize them (for those with an artistic flair).

Also found another site, SSMMA with an announcement dated 8/2014 but also noted, back on MWRD site, how few communities actually signed-up, the Mayor is correct it's 13. IMAHO, there must have been a reason for the disconnect.

I also found this.

Municipalities must sign an intergovernmental agreement with the MWRD to participate. Once registered, the village or city can make barrels available to residents who meet certain requirements:

• The resident must have property that has downspouts that are directly connected to the sewer system;
• The homeowner must agree to disconnect all downspouts from the sewer system;
• The homeowner must place rain barrels on each downspout, where feasible.

Based on the 1st requirement, I don't qualify, my downspouts do not connect to the sewer system, haven't for more than 40yrs.

Edited by logic - 30/April/2015 at 7:51am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2015 at 9:05am
i found the same info, logic, but will not assume MWRD mistake, mostly because i can't imagine a realistic scenario where they got muni addresses wrong.

anyway, their push to get the downspouts out of the ground is real and urgent. our village seems flummoxed on the issue: last time i asked about it Mannix told me the village could not enforce removal w/out Home Rule. whatev.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2015 at 9:25am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

i found the same info, logic, but will not assume MWRD mistake, mostly because i can't imagine a realistic scenario where they got muni addresses wrong.
I can't imagine a realistic scenario for denying qualified residents free rain barrels, to what purpose?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2015 at 10:28am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

I can't imagine a realistic scenario for denying qualified residents free rain barrels, to what purpose?

Is the issue FREE rain barrels? Would half-price rain barrels satisfy?
I don't quite understand the exclusion for those who've previously disconnected their downspouts. Their reward for being proactive is to pay more? Are they MWRD or a cable company?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2015 at 10:37am
The barrels are $58.00+tax, free delivery:), think most residents would need 2 or more for each downspout, at least that's what MWRD recommends. Oaklawn was offering them to residents for $50.00, whether that's the old price or the Village eats the rest, don't know. You need to qualify for the free barrels, would guess most of us don't. Also don't know if the expectation is free barrels for all, or discounted barrels, it's not clear.

Edited by logic - 30/April/2015 at 10:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply